Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting an outboard with starter fluid
I have a 150 HP Mercury outboard. It is a two stroke with oil injection. I sprayed fogging oil into each cylinder, before storing it for the winter, and now it won't start. It is cranking strong, but it doesn't appear to be attempting to start. I know the use of starting fluid in two strokes is not the best, but I'm about at the point that I don't know what else to do. If I pull the spark plugs and spray a little starting fluid (contains lubricant) in each cylinder should I be OK?
[signature]
I use some fresh gas in a squirt bottle. I avoid starting fluid like the plague it washes the cylinder and rings causing wear even with the lubricant. try using it as a parts cleaner and you will see.
[signature]
Are you sure it is a fuel issue? Have you verified that you have spark?

If it is a fuel issue, try putting gas in the spark plug hole to see if it does anything different. Even if it only pops, you will know that where to go next. (carburetor)

Assuming it is carbureted, try squirting gas in the carburetor. The cleaning effect of the gas may clean out a jet, or when the motor runs it may provide enough suction to start pulling gas through properly.
[signature]
How do I verify that I have spark?
[signature]
See my next comment. It has better instructions than my first one.
[signature]
Remove a spark plug from the engine and put the plug wire back on the plug. Then position the spark plug such that the lower part of the spark plug is touching the block, with no gap.

Then crank the motor and watch for a spark in the gap of the spark plug. Chances are if you have a spark in one cylinder, you will have spark in all of them. But it wouldn't hurt to check all cylinders.

This works best in a garage, or in the shade, so you can see the spark. You can often hear the spark too.
If you see a spark, then you probably have a fuel issue.
[signature]
These are the flat-type plugs, so there really isn't a gap. Sure wish I wasn't so inexperienced with engines. I tried spraying a little gas in each cylinder and it made no difference.
[signature]
Lee, of Lee's Marine, is willing to see if it is something he can quickly fix. So, I am off to see Lee.
[signature]
I use WD-40 instead of starting fluid. It lubricates helps with two strokes. Also is the vent on the fuel tank open?
[signature]
Excellent choice. Lee's is the best. I've had work done myself. Worth every penny.
[signature]
Problem found and solved. Operator error. [blush] I agree that Lee is the best and also a super nice guy. BTW, Lee said to never use starting fluid on a boat engine. He feels it should really only be used on diesels.
[signature]
Double check your safety lanyard switch!
Engine will still turn over with switch pulled.
Engine will crank as normal but wont have spark.
[signature]
Dont ever use ether on ANY engine.
Use pre-mixed fuel out of a long eye dropper if needed.
Good luck.
[signature]
Can you be specific about what the 'operator error' was, so we can all learn? [Smile]
[signature]
No, because I have to keep whatever little bit of dignity I have left. Trust me, knowing what I did wrong won't help you out other than give you a good laugh at my expense. Let's just say it was caused by halfeimers.
[signature]
Okay. I can accept that.(But I bet if we compared notes, I could out-do you in the 'halfeimers' department)

Good fishing to ya!
[signature]
Many of us put STA-BIL in our gas tanks when storing our engines for a time. But if you forgot or are otherwise having a hard time starting an engine they also have a product called START YOUR ENGINES. You put it in when you are ready to start up in the spring. It worked wonders on my lawn mower and tiller. It is safe for 2 and 4 cycle. A link is provided below.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bi...r-engines/
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote ice_sled]

I use WD-40 instead of starting fluid. It lubricates helps with two strokes.

[/quote]

I read on one site that they have changed the formula on WD-40 and it no longer works, like it used to, as a starting fluid. I have no idea, but that is what I read.
[signature]
wd 40 is not and will not work as starting fluid , not even on diesel engines . fogging engines in ut is not really necessary in our dry climate. and can foul spark plugs. as far as the use of starting fluid no more harm is done on using it rather than gas as a starting aid , but it should only be used in moderation . just fyi
[signature]
[quote mtncat1]

wd 40 is not and will work as starting fluid , not even on diesel engines .

[/quote]

Not sure what you are saying.
[signature]