Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slab City
Fished for a few hours at canyon lake this morning. We found the crappie but they refused to cooperate in the numbers I’m used too 🤪. We caught them all around the 5’ mark right in the middle of the channel. The one female we caught was full of eggs. We also caught a few yellow bass that had eggs and a lone bull bluegill. I left the fish finder at home so I’m not sure of he water temperature but if I had to guess I’d say it was mid 70’s. All fish with the exception of one yellow bass were caught on 1/32 ounce road runners with triple tail plastics.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pics Jason, we haven't heard from you in while. Those crappie look to be pretty big, did you measure any of them? Not really familiar with yellow bass but the ones in your pic looks like small wiper, with those broken stripes[:/].
[signature]
Sorry wiperhunter, I just saw your post. I must have my notifications turned off. The yellow bass are exactly like wipers just much smaller sized. I added another post with a tape measure next to some of the crappie. They were about 12-14 inches though. My friend borrow the boat and went out a few weeks ago and caught one that weighed a pound and a half. Headed back out tomorrow so I hope I can get on them again.
[signature]
Hey Slab City,
I always thought Canyon Lake didn't have any Crappie. Obviously I was wrong because you have proof. I've been fishing there for 40 years and I've never seen one. What part of the lake were you at? Was it May 4th you caught them?
Thanks,
[signature]
I wouldn’t have believed there were crappie that size in the lake. I’m sure they are all throughout the chain of lakes though. Just gotta find them first. The only other crappie I’ve personally seen in AZ before this year was one my wife caught at saguaro, it was about the size of my thumb though. I caught them up the Tonto creek arm of the lake and in the little lagoon right next to the second boat ramp. I’ve caught crappie almost every time I’ve been out this year, which unfortunately hasn’t been much, but the dates were May 4th, 11th and 31st. To be honest I should’ve gone out more often but there always seem to be something more important to do.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll see you out there sometime. I usually bring my 90 lb [reply][/reply]white dog with black patches over one eye and on his butt.
[signature]