Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After the fires
Does anyone know the status of Strawberry River above the pinnacles or down from soldier dam?

Same with Diamond Fork and getting up to Six Water?

thanks

Jay
[signature]
The road is still closed along the Strawberry River beginning at Timber Canyon on up to Soldier Creek Dam. The river is in rough shape from the Dollar Ridge fire beginning at Willow Creek on downstream through the pinnacles.

I don't know the status of Diamond Fork.
[signature]
well that sucks but thank you for the report.
[signature]
They pretty much never open the gates to let you drive up to the Waters above DF this early. About the earliest I can recall is late May on a low snow year. So unless someone knows from last year or your willing to expend some significant calories getting up there you may have to wait. Fishing is relatively slow until very late May when those mutt cutts (mixed strain) start to spawn. Browns will be up for the eggs as well. If there are issues from ash I’d still try directly below the various tunnels. Hopefully it won’t impact the watershed’s Salmonfly hatch coming up in the next few weeks to month depending on elevation.
I’ve warned of the teaming mountain lions and frequent rattlesnakes up there. Just forgot to mention the wolves up there as well http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...es;#728322
However as mentioned it is relatively slow in spring as I only caught 40 and all 14 inch or smaller[Wink]. Certainly not up to Summer productivity that early.
[signature]
I heard that the grasshoppers in that area get as big as dachshunds and twice as aggressive. More than one guy had to walk out on a broken leg.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Sounds like DF drainage might be closed for reseeding. http://www.castlecountryradio.com/2019/0...fisheries/
Stone and Salmonfly hatches might have to wait a year or 2 rather than be kicking off now. Thistle has a smorgasbord of stones and Salmonflies hatches that overlap but unfortunately the access was seized from the public on much of the stream. And normally the big ones top out 16-18 inch range even if it’s far more productive per cfs of water than the Provo with its gnat eating trout.
I currently live out of state but will be moving to NM in 2 months and with the interMountain west most productive watershed per CFS of water out of commission this year I likely won’t fish Utah this Summer.
My suggestion for runoff is find the side branches of the upper Provo for big Cutts prespawn starting in the next few days.
I’m hoping to hit the end of runoff up on the Grays pre 4th of July as my next trip. Usually hit some of the other streams in the area. I just have to see if work and family will let me get away for several days.
[signature]
I thought that Diamond Fork was wiped for this year but I read somewhere that it was producing on at least one section. When I get up there I'll post how it looks.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

That would be really great. thanks.
[signature]
Did you ever check it out? Water levels look ok. While the salmonfly hatch has come and probably gone even at the highest elevation tribs it’s still a good play to fish until early November. I just canceled my trip to Wyoming at the end of the month until 4 of July. Grays river still need to come down by 50% to be clear and wadable. My time off is probably about a week too early.
[signature]