Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is everyone?
I am surprised at the lack of activity on this board. I come from NY and had hoped to find a link to fishing there. I live in UT now and even in this backwards place there is some good posting activity.
[signature]
[cool]Hey Troll yah tell me about it, I've been passing out fliers and talking to fishermen on other boards to drum up some members for this board. For some reason NY anglers don't like to talk about were or what they been doing. they all must have their secrets and don't like to share.
[signature]
Don't worry guys. I think they are fishing with half the guys in Cali. We only have our small handful of regulars and just can't find more even if our lives depended upon it.
[signature]
They must be all fishing[Wink]
[signature]
I got 3 replys, one from California, one from N. D. and one from NY (the Moderator).

Just keep posting Chief, I'll reply. I am from NY and fished a lot while growing up. I was a licensed guide and fished a lot from Saratoga Lake up to Saranac Lake where I went to college.
[signature]
[cool]Hey Troll, I'm going to Lake George for the ice contest this weekend any secret spots to find a good size Laker or two. My thought was off the beach either in 50' of water or run out farther to 80' take some 6" suckers for bait. I did have some nice size fish on last year in the 50' range but managed to loose them, to quick on the hook set. In that depth I also found some good size perch not many but this trip I'm looking for size.
[signature]
Lake Goerge is a big piece of water, Lakers this time of year will be around and on the same rockpiles they they spawn on. They will not feed often but will except a well placed sucker. If you mean the State Beach, stay E and get out away from the crowds. What ever festival you mentioned will shut down fishing for a good ways around it. start in 50 ft and drill holes in a line out to the deepest water, you get 5 tip-ups and a hand rod right. If your going for the big one you have to GO BIG, drill alot of holes, Measure the depth of each and get an idea what the bottom is about, wound your bait, (it won't last as long but it will emit those fish calling motions that will call them in) (I used to cut a front side fin off so the bait could not balance it's self or run properly to get away, we used to slay giant pike like this)

Good luck and just keep working your tip-ups, checking and moving them till you get one. We can only use one line to ice fish in UT and no live bait. But if you want monster lakers come out for a visit to Flaming Gorge. There are steady populations of 30 lbs and some to 50 lbs. State record is like 55.
[signature]
[cool]Hi Troll, We are on the same wave lenght because that is where I was heading East and almost to the first point. Thanks for the wounding tip. The perch are also moving into the beach area I've had reports of up to 14" and last years contest was won by a 13.5" perch. Just playing the game is good enough for me anything else is gravey. Thanks again.
[signature]
My memory is not what it used to be, but there is a retreat on rt 9l called "The Paulis Fathers" Drive down twords Dunhams bay to locate it, it should be right around the 1st point, out in front of it are several rock piles on a sand bottem, it is believed they are ballast rocks from old boats. If you can locate one of those piles it should have a few lakers on it.
[signature]
I keep forgetting about the NY part of BigFishTackle.com. I am here in Western NY 25 miles WEST of Rochester. I fish ponds mostly. Someday would like to go to Hamlin beach and hit Lake Ontario and any given spot. Or maybe Point Breeze.... I never HAVE fished North of me before!
[signature]
Hey There Fishermom, Glad to see you remembered us on the Ny board. We try to stay active but New Yorkers are very slow at coming aboard.

I've fished Lake Ontario a few times for Lakers and Kings. Mostly trolling, what a hoot when you fight a king for 45 minutes. You should thing about Black Lake in St. Lawrence county. A great fishery. Loaded with Bass perch crappie and blue gills and mix in some nice pike as well. My lady and I do that every year for a week and fish dawn to dusk. This is a very quite family area in the middle of farm country. I think you would enjoy it.
[signature]
Is there a campground there Chief? At Black Lake? I like quiet... and not crowded...

I will have to do some research online. thanks.

I will try not to forget the NY boards this time. I am a busy body on mnessageboards. I am a member on many.
[signature]
[url "http://www.mclears.com/"]http://www.mclears.com/[/url] This is where we stay. Really good people and everything you need.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Very Cool... I looked at the map and I see it is near Watertown. We have camped ay the Natural Bridge KOA before... so I know the area that this is in. I set it aside in my favorite places! It would be a great place for us to go late in the year...October or so! yippee!! thanks![/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey Fishermom,

Just read your on-line column...very nice. I live in the Rochester Area (a little west) and have fished Hamlin Beach several times. I'm fairly new to fishing and haven't had much luck there. I've caught a few small perch, but I have seen a guy take a hand full of bass and a half dozen large perch right of the dock of the state park. And the park has an excellent camping facility. Oak Orchard Creek, and the break wall going out into the Lake have been a little more productive for me. I caught a Pike and a couple of Bass, all were too small to keep, but barely. I know bigger fish are out there.
[signature]
[size 3]oooooooooo ....[/size]

[size 3]very cool baitdrowner (cool username!!). Thanks for the tip! I hope to get out there this summer with my kids.. we will have to check that area out then... I also hear that there's a place that you can rent canoes for the day on Oak Orchard, just off of Rte. 98, I think. I might try that too for a day's fishing and picnic.![/size]
[signature]
I don't know about canoeing, by the Lake the river gets pretty big. But if you want to use a dock: There's a dock just off of the Lake Ontario State Parkway, in fact you can see it from the Parkway, I think it's on 98 too. Seems like everything there is. To get to the dock, park in the boat club lot right under the Parkway (It's a public lot too) and walk down about 600 stairs. One side of the dock is for the boat club, and one side is for fishing. There is even a playground so you might be able to get an extra hour's worth of fishing after the kids get bored. I haven't been there since November so my memory is a little hazy on the exact details.
[signature]