Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favorite line for kokanee trolling?
I am pretty sure this has been discussed before but I could not find it. I am replacing the reels on two of my kokanee rods and am deciding what kind of line to put on them. The old reels had trilene big game #25 backing, power pro braided #20 main line and about 15 feet of #17 Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader. The line on the old reels has not been used that much. I am considering moving the line from the old reels to the new. What are you expert kokanee slayers using? Would you stick with what I have or use something else?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]My experience with braided line is that the down-rigger release clips with rubber pads don't hold braided very well at all. I was never able to properly set the rod tension because the rubber pads would not stop the line from slipping through the pads. After one full season with braided line I went back to monofilament line on all my down-rigger trolling lines. There are a couple of line releases (like Chamberlain) that can reduce that problem, but I found them to be a PITA to use and they had a problem of weakening monofilament with repeated use at the same spot on the line itself. Now, I use yellow monofilament line on all my boat trolling rods. I use braid on my casting rods.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Yeah good info on the issue with releases. I am using the Chamberlain releases and I actually have really liked them.
[signature]
Maxima Ultragreen 12 or 15 pound test. Adds a little extra shock absorber to help keep the hooks pinned. Doesn't cut the water like braid, but I have noticed that we keep more fish on the line than with braid.
[signature]
Wall3y3,

I use the exact same main line, braid, and leader as you. I use Chamberlain releases and have no issues with the line releasing or not. I put 10 "twists" in the braid before I place the loop over the release pin of the Chamberlain.
[signature]
12 lbs big game is my go to , braid is not a good option for kokanee
[signature]
I use braid on all my trolling outfits, salt and freshwater, but put a 100’ top shot of mono on them. For the non line counters it gives me a distance for setbacks when top lining
[signature]
10 lb yellow Stren for me.
Really helps me keep track of my lines.
With a total of 3 people in my boat I run two stacked riggers and two long lines for a total of 6 rigs in the water.
[signature]
15 lbs PLine Tactical florocarbon for kokanee.
[signature]
Someone else mentioned it, but I also run the Berkley Big Game mono but in 10lb test. I use the same four trolling rods whether it's for stripers, kokes, or even lake trout. It has the durability, it's cheap at Walmart, and still strong enough that I can land big lake trout when I catch them. It's also the same poundage used in my Precision Trolling manual (book), so I don't have to do any conversions for setting depths on crankbaits. I usually will add a barrel swivel and about 2-3 ft of Pline 10-12lb Flouroclear leader with a quick snap for kokes, but haven't this year. Fishing has been good, and that "less visible" leader hasn't seemed to matter.

Good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Interesting that clear leader does not seem to make a difference. Then again when you think about it it makes sense, my understanding is that they are not biting for food but because they are pissed off. I appreciate all the replies, lots of good imput. Thanks!
[signature]
I use the same gear for kokanee as for ocean salmon off the coast of Washington. 25# Big Game with Islander MR3's on Shimano Convergence 10 1/2' mooching rods. Thos rods are really soft, so pulling hooks isn't much of a problem. Scotty electrics with Scotty releases. Salmon are salmon. Mono leaders.
[signature]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
In the past I’ve thought it made a difference. I’ll be watching to see if it does though. The reservoir is still off colored from runoff and early spring algal blooms, so when it clears it might help to increase catch rates.
[signature]