Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake powell fishing from shore
Is there any good places to fish powell from shore? I dont have a boat and would like to campout there .
[signature]
have caught a lot of fish from shore at bull frog, right by the boat ramp is good, there is a spot in back of the vehicle stroage area its a slot canyon.any point between the boat ramp and the rough campground. you can catch catfish almost anyplace. I just used cut bait, carp, and fished on the bottom. caught everything, some of the best fishing has been from shore.
[signature]
I would head down to the Stanton Canyon primitive camping area. You can either pick a sandy beach for cats or a rocky area for bass. Lots of areas to camp. You must have at least a port a potty. Let me know if you want more details on locations.
[signature]
I used to live in Page, AZ and fished Wahweap all the time. Come springtime, especially when the bass tournaments are running on a regular basis, there is some great black bass fishing around the marina. Bass will tend to hold to marina structure once released by tournament fishermen. During April and May, once the water temp reaches above 60 F, you will see a lot of bedded bass around the marina also.

There is also an area right near the dam called the "Chains" that provides some shoreline access. When the stripers run towards the dam outflow in the spring (March-May) you can find some good striper fishing along the shore there. It depends on the intensity of the spawn, but some years shoreline anglers tear it up down in the "Chains" area. Watch for fish reports on the Lake Powell website, waynesword.com. Hope it helps, Ryno
[signature]
When are you planning to go? If it is early (March-April) go further south to get some good shore fishing. Wahweap is a blast. My cousin used to live in Page, and worked at the marina. If you are waiting until May or later, I would go to the primitive camping areas around Bullfrog. You have access to gas, food, hotel rooms if the weather really get ugly, and so on. I have caught plenty of Largemouth, Walleye, Stripers, Catfish, Bluegill, and of course Carp from the shores there. If you find the right shore, you can wade out 50-70 feet and still be at your waist in the water. Take plenty of food baits for the Cats, Carp, and Stripes. Anchovies work just fine and you can buy them in 5lb. bags at the gas station in Bullfrog. Take worms, real or fake, for the Largemouth and Smallmouth. The biggest I've seen caught there were caught in a bush on a worm on a #6 hook with a couple of splitshot about 18" up the line. I had been fishing that area for about an hour with topwaters and had caught a couple bass around 1lb., and this guy just walks up, catches a 4.5-5lb bass 15 feet from me, tells me that he catches a lot of fish that size on the same rig just dropping it into a bush, and walks away with the fish. If you are there in May or June, try some topwaters. You can't beat the bite on a topwater to jump start your heart. Work any structure you can find. Weeds, trees, rocks, stumps, etc... If you see a place where there is a rock hanging over the water creating a good sized shadowed area, throw an anchovie or a plastic twist tail on a jig in there and hold on. At night, just throw some bait out and wait for the bite. You never know what it might be.
[signature]
Lone rock is a popular spot. It's been a while since I've been there so I don't know if your van would make it. With the low water you can get almost anywhere. Cats are easy to find and if your lucky you'll get a pike.
[signature]
The low water in Powell has changed a lot of places that provide shore access. I have camped in White Canyon near Hite but not when the water was this low. I'm sure it's fine camping still just farther from the water. It is primative camping bring your own everything and pack it back out with you. but there is ample shoreline that provides a lot of different structure and as a bonus when the water is low like this you can hike all the way to the main channel. If you have a tube, canoe or fohn boat you can fish even more places in the canyon.

Good luck where ever you go.
[signature]