Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solutions For The Top 10 Jigging Mistakes
1. Slack on the drop-Some anglers lift the jig, then quickly drop the rodtip so the leadhead falls on a slack line. No good, since most strikes occur on the drop. Solution: After the lift, match the speed of the jig's descent with your rodtip so the line stays semi-taut.

2. Slow hookset-Walleyes inhale jigs by flaring their gills, and can spit 'em out just as fast. Solution: When you feel a light tick or tap, or the line twitches, set the hook. If you miss light bites, add a stinger.

3. Lack of concentration-An obvious misstep. Solution: Forget everything else. Focus on the elements of your presentation (jigging cadence, bottom contact, etc.), and be ever alert for a strike.

4. Avoiding snags-It's tempting to stay away from the tough stuff and avoid frustrating snags. But then you miss fish. Solution: If you're not occasionally running afoul of weeds, rocks or wood, you're not fishing in the right place. Bite your lip and go for it.

5. Overdoing it-It's easy to fall into a rhythm that's too fast for the fish. Solution: This is part of the mental game. Concen-trate on keeping your jig strokes slow and steady, unless the fish are on a tear.

6. Fishing the wrong head-There are so many to choose from, many anglers give up and stick with one style. Solution: Make the effort to learn about the different designs, and fish them where they make sense.

7. Weight problems-An oversize jig sinks too fast and plows along the bottom, while lightweights won't reach the fish, or worse, you can't "feel" them. Solution: Use just enough weight to maintain good contact with the jig.

8. Casting too far-This isn't the Olympics. Jigs and strikes at the far end of a long cast are difficult to register. Solution: Keep casts manageable for gear and conditions.

9. The wrong rod-Long, soft-tipped sticks are usually bad news. Solution: You'll detect more strikes with a shorter, stiffer, high-modulus graphite rod.

10. Unnecessary tipping-Some anglers automatically tip leadheads with bait. While a good idea in cold water or when fish are sluggish, meat can detract from the action of feathers or the vibes of a curlytail. Solution: When in doubt, go baitless
[signature]
Very good advice.

Here's just a few things I have found. As far as the slow presentations go, I have already had to adapt by just letting the jig set in place(like you were using a set line) on cold nights. I've also found that sometimes just slowly dragging the jig works. Sometimes the flash of the jig is too much in coldfront conditions. Then just a plain lead head jig(colorless) works best. And, if your state regulations allow an extra rod, always put out a set line. I use four different types, depending on conditions. 1. A river rig. 2. A spinner rig. 3. Just a plain hook & sinker combo. 4. A sinker and floting jig combo. I prefer a gumdrop(Phelps) floater, because it is soft. I use a minnow on these in the cold months. As the water warms up, I use either minnow, nightcrawler or a leech.

The best thing to keep in mind, is that if you aren't catching fish, you need to change something in your presentation to turn them on. Never give up and just stick with the same thing (unless you just don't care if you catch fish[unsure]).
[signature]
thanks for the info I will have to try it when the water finally thaws.
[signature]
That's the next thing I have to come up with is the fire fly jig. I will have to come up with a big enough tank of propane so that it can be fished on the hard water.[Tongue]

If any of you hardwater anglers want to come out to Cali, there is no waiting at the local fishing holes. The only ice is in the ice chests.[cool]
[signature]
I would love to but I am going on a mission for my church in a few months and need to save the green. But thanks for the invite.
[signature]
I hear you there bro. When you get back I'll have a nice spot in the water warmed up for you.[cool] Where are you going??? Did they call you yet??
[signature]
I haven't got my call yet, but heck maybe I'll go to Cali.
[signature]
Sounds great! But my parents are coming out to Minnesnowta this year. Don't know if I'll be making it out to Cali. I'm planning my vacation time to Oregon to visit my brother. Gonna see if I can afford me the Sturgeon guide I saw on the In-Fisherman television show a couple years ago.
[signature]
That would be nice if you made it out here. I could show you some of the good spots on your days off.[cool]
[signature]
Maybe your next time around my friend. I'll be glad to hold a spot for you. I even have and extra float tube if you need.
[signature]
thanks man. I will be looking forward to it.
[signature]
I don't see too many mistakes made jigging through the ice. Sorry.[sly]
[signature]