Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tippet knot issue
I am wondering if this is normal. Pretty much every time I break off from a snag or otherwise, my lines breaks at the double surgeons between my 5x and 6x tippet. Or maybe it is coming untied. Can anyone offer some insight?
[signature]
Maybe some old tippet one or the other could be the problem , its usually for me right at the fly on the lighter tippet. I do the same the double surgeon. Never had it come untied as far as I know, its usually breaks at the fly.
[signature]
Ok, that you break off at the fly is good to know. That is what I would expect too. But that aint working out. Smile Thank you for your input.
[signature]
One other possibility , its pretty light tippet, and you are reluctant to pull the knot real tight, and then snipping off the tag pretty short , and it could be coming untied, but just guessing. I do leave just a slight amount of tag.

That double surgeon is pretty stout, but you could try the triple, some do. Double has always worked for me.

But as said old tippet could be the culprit .
[signature]
Also watch a you-tube video to make sure you are tying it right, there is always the chance you could be tying it wrong.
[signature]
Okay, ill make sure im doing it right and tight enuff. Thanks again
[signature]
I don't ever join tippet to tippet, so I am no expert on this. I do however, always use a triple surgeon when joining my leader and tippet. When in doubt, throw out the old tippet and get some fresh stuff.
[signature]
I keep that in mind. Thanks!
[signature]
Be sure you are getting the knot wet with your mouth before you synch it tight. Once you tighten the knot, give it a decent tug to test it. Better to break it then rather than when you have a fish on. I use this same knot all the time and usually break off at the fly. Also, don't forget to test knot after a catch or after some time has gone by. Always good to make sure everything is still strong.
[signature]
Thanks a lot for all the tips!!!
[signature]
Don’t use tippet! I never do...pretty much stick to 8lb mono for a leader. Some will say it won’t cast as well, but I have never had issues and I don’t have to worry about different tippets for different flies or different fish. This also keeps the changing of leaders easier, quicker, and cheaper. For Utah, I will never use a tippet and am not sure why anyone would.
[signature]
W&B,
Most people fish the way there told to, not what works well with experience. Few people actually are willing to innovate and adjust fishing techniques to the waters they fish. That’s why we have suboptimal Tenkara as a fad a few years ago and now are just getting over the Euronymphing fad now. Neither of those fads were well suited for most/ ?any Utah waters.
First off I always have various size tippets with me fly fishing but in reality the vast majority of the time I don’t use tippet. It’s just one more step that doesn’t always serve any purpose if your goal is to catch fish. Yes it can break off sometimes but take a step back and ask why it’s being used and compare catch rates with and without tippet in various situations. I personally usually use a fluorocarbon leader and tie my fly directly to that. Now with smaller dries (which aren’t needed much outside a few of our streams that trout concentrate on eating midges/ gnats) I will use tippet. Fortunately this isn’t needed on 90% of Utah waters.
Reminds me of the YouTube video of a fishing pro from Utah that compared catch rates with single fly versus 2 fly rig. He thought he had a new revelation in that his data supported that a single fly will almost universally out fish the rig. To most people they think that because they catch fish on both flies they are doing better. His revelation was pretty obvious to me after my first 2 years experience fly fishing. I dropped routine use of tippet even earlier than that.
[signature]
I tie my leader to a tippet ring. Then tie the tippet to the ring. It's a stronger connection and the ring is unnoticeable. Much easier way to change tippets also. You also don't have to change leaders because you lose a little every time you change tippets. I fish deep, so I lose quite a few flies. It's about 50/50 if the line breaks at the fly or at the tippet connection to the ring.
[signature]