Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My garden pics: Summer of 2019
Probably for you, we think at least 4 would be probable.

We pack our salmon in tight like you did so it was no problem at all.

Picked our first green bean, but I think it really wasn't ready, it even tasted green if that makes sense. [crazy]

Watch KSL news hoping to see the reveal on the news tonight but they really didn't show much said HGTV was going to show it on their next season.... but from your picture we got a pretty good idea about it. I'm sure we'll get to see it next time we stop by your place.

Well, think we've pretty much got everything we wanted to get done before his surgery done a day early so now we just have to wait for Monday. Thanks for the best wishes/prayers. Once again he's going to Ogden Regional.
[signature]
Wow, that would be a lot, we usually get tired of radishes after the first picking but it has been so long, maybe we could plant three different types for three plantings, just the break it up. We have done the normal red and white type but never had much luck with the white variety. Is there a type that isn't hot?
Here are a few more pics from the EMO house.
[signature]
We only do small batch at a time and just red and white ones. They are nice touch sliced into a salad.

That's a cute house, really nice carport - guess this house actually faces the other street and not your street, right? still amazes me.
[signature]
Yes, it faces East, the first pic is one of guys on that TV show, Modern Family, the second pic is the side view, the third pic is of the little garden they planted on the side of the house, the forth pic in a straight on pic of the front of the House.
Hope Jeff's operation was a success.
[signature]
Really cute house that's for sure. We've never watched any episodes of Modern Family so not sure who the guy is, but still cool that he'd want to be a part of all this. We look forward to seeing the Reveal on HGTV so we can see inside - the paper said it should air in early 2020.

Surgery took longer than they had planned, we're not sure why. But his doc said his knee was so bad he doesn't know how he was even walking with it. So it is so nice that that's now in our past. On to physical therapy. Yeehah!
[signature]
I believe he is the new host on the show. Wow, it's not coming out until 2020, guess we have a while to wait then.
Picked more green beans today, got 44 this time, they are really coming on now.
Glad to hear Jeff made it through the surgery ok, even if it took longer.
[signature]
Took a few pics of my garden after I pulled up just about all my buttercup, they were frosted pretty good. Got a little frost on my zucchini and yellow squash but they are still hanging in there for the most part.
[signature]
[quote jjannie]
How's your rocking project coming along? Think you'll get it finished before winter really sets in?[/quote]
Got half of it done a few days ago, not sure if I'll get it all done before Winter sets in. It's going to warm up some next week, so I'll keep at it until the temps stay below 32 degrees. Once the temps stay below 32 degrees, I'll be done, until Spring. Here is a pic of what I've done so far.
[signature]
WOW, its looking really nice!

We're both supposed to have record cold temps tonight, teens for us, so maybe 20s for you, but yes next week is looking to be better. So we'll get some stuff (reinforcing, windows, walkways, raised beds built/installed) done inside it then.

Today was a PT day for Jeff, then a doc follow up appt, so we ran errands while we were in town. So no greenhouse work. I did see the high in the greenhouse was 120 degrees so it is warming nicely, just cooling off to outside temps at night. We'll only be looking to keep it warm enough so things won't freeze. Think it'll only be a 3 season greenhouse, not a 4 season as that'd be too expensive for our needs.

Any idea why my SPs came out looing more like carrots than potatoes? I'm going to give them a try again next year, using my own slips this time, so I'll start them going in the greenhouse in pots if necessary then transplant them to other locations once any frost scares have past. This should get us a little longer growing season. Fingers crossed.
[signature]
It was down to 27 overnight here and they are saying even colder tonight. Pulled up all my garden plants today, except for the carrots, they still look ok and since they are below ground, they will be fine for a little while yet.
The sun is the biggest issue you guys have for growing bigger SP but the shorter season up there doesn't help either. I think the GH will help for sure.
[signature]
[quote jjannie]
Any idea why my SPs came out looing more like carrots than potatoes? I'm going to give them a try again next year, using my own slips this time, so I'll start them going in the greenhouse in pots if necessary then transplant them to other locations once any frost scares have past. This should get us a little longer growing season. Fingers crossed.[/quote]
Another thing that might help you SP grow larger is deeper boxes, I can't remember how deep your boxes are but IMO they should be at least 12" deep and sandy loamy soil is much better than a lot of clay type soil.
[signature]
12 inches, loamy due top lots of organic matter but our soil isn't too sandy like yours is. Ours son in Clearfield has soil like yours, I envy having that kind of soil. Seems we've never lucked out getting that kind soil to start with. It also has a ton small of rocks in it, which is why we stated using more raised beds to begin with.

The new location of the SP box should give it more sun so I'm hoping that along with getting the plants really jump started in pots in the greenhouse lengthening their growing season I hope will help as well. Guess next season will just be another experimenting season. Looking forward to it already.
[signature]
I guess when you change things up, you always have to do some experimenting to figure it out but there is always the hope that things will improve. I know next year I likely won't be growing buttercup, because they take up too much room, as they grow and the vines go all over the place. My cucks never did produce anything this year, so I'll likely plant them in a new location next year.
[signature]
Here is my last pics of this years garden, I'll edit this post and add them later but for now here is the last pic of my buttercup squash as we processes our last batch. 20 total in this group.
We did not get any cucumbers this year and the two small crenshaw's that grew did not ripen enough to eat[Sad]. Everything else in the garden did pretty good except for the water melon.
[signature]
That's a lot squash, how are you 'processing' it?

I read a book that I've taken some exceprts from via a photo about some ideas for making a GH like what we did for the SP box only on larger scale. (I'll edit this to include those pics once I have them titled and saved).

One thing the book covered was the temperature values between outside temps, inside low tunnel and inside a tunnel that is inside a greenhouse to give you double coverage protectiion. You'll find it interesting how much of difference that double covering can make.

Next year, we may use the double covering to see how long into winter we can still harvest some crops. We won't start new seeds but we will start the seeds in late fall, so we can harvest throughout the winter - that was premise of this book. It'll be fun to know. Maybe it will be something you'll find useful to use in that GH you were assembling.

Update: Well, too many photos to easily post them so I'll email them directly to you.
[signature]
I guess you can see the peeled squash behind the one that isn't cut up, well after we peel them, we cut up the squash in 1" squares, we blanch them, bag them, then freeze them.
The pics you sent me look exactly like the method we used to put up that green house, except for the method we used to clamp the plastic down. Maybe you are just talking about me making a smaller GH for SP but that isn't something I have room for at this point. but might consider in the future, if we decide to do that I'll have some reference to go by, thanks Jil.
[signature]
We'd never have enough space in our freezers for that much with all our vacuum packed fish - LOL[Wink]

I didn't know your set up so wasn't sure, still its good to have ideas, at least you'd have a starting point. That works best for me anyway. That GH in the book was designed so they could relocate it to other beds as needed also once summer hits for sure they remove the plastic and leave it open like ground garden would be.

GH got up to 91 today, but its currently down to 60 already. We had lots of shopping errands today, so now that we are back home, I need to go do a bit more leveling inside the GH so we can layout fabric before we build our raised boxes.

Well, I'd better get out there before Jeff realizes I am not doing what I said I was going to do - LOL
[signature]
All you need is a bigger freezer, remember, mine is 6 ft long and over 3 ft deep, you could put a lot of stuff in a freezer that big.
[signature]
We do have two fridge freezers and a full size upright, but we still run outta space.

The phrase,'if you build (have the extra space) they will come (you will eventually fill it up)' applies in our case.

Got the leveling completed. Today's goal, we lay the fabric, then build the boxes. Well make a shopping errand as we want to lay down a layer of pea gravel where the walkway that will get the pavers will be. Once the beds are in place we can spread the gravel in it those walkways.
[signature]
What we freeze in our freezer is usually gone by next years growing season. That will for sure be true this year because of our smaller garden size but we still have a few bags of buttercup, peaches and stuffed bell peppers from 2018.
[signature]