Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My garden pics: Summer of 2019
Good deal, seems kind of late in the Summer but maybe we will get a few pickings before it's over for the year. I know you have less time up there but I should have at least two more months.
I thought you guys might get up to Jordanelle or the Berry before the season is over, doesn't should like that is in the cards though. Good thing you have the extra fish in the freezer or maybe some still canned[:/].
Do you build your greenhouse/deer netting framework square or rounded on the top?
[signature]
This greenhouse / deer netting top will be out of PVC arches that we can just lift off as needed. Once we build it (maybe tomorrow) and set it is place I'll grab some pics of it. then for the winter the whole framework can be hung up in taller half of the detached garage till spring. Some use the PVC slid over rebar spikes but then they aren't too moveable so we've modified the approach for what we plan to do with it. you can also make PVC clamps from scrap pieces we all seem to accumulate to use as clamps to hold the plastic or netting in place - I'll take a picture of how they work as well.

Jeff looked at my beans starts and he agrees that is probably what they are - so we just may see some harvest yet.

Nothing on watermelons, but they are blooming, just not sure if we end up with any.

Yes, we do also have some canned salmon. We should do just fine at least till next season.
[signature]
Ok, here's the assembled PVC greenhouse / netting framework. It still needs a pvc piece that will go across the top for added structural support and to keep the hoop sides stabilized but you'll get the idea of what I was trying to explain.
[signature]
Nice, that looks pretty easy to make but how do you decide how tall to make them? Did you use 1/2" PVC or 3/4? Picked a green bean today and noticed a bunch more coming on, starting to get a bunch of zucchini, a few yellow squash.
[signature]
1/2 inch PVC the height was determined by the precut lengths of PVC when you buy it. Now we'll use scraps of 3/4" to make the 'clamps' for holding the plastic or netting on. I'll take pics of the 'clamps' once we get them made up.

None of my beans are even close to ready to ready top pick. [Sad] But I did pick 2 of my squash.

The Armenian cuke has really taken off, the largest is over 8" already.

The cabbages are really getting close to harvestable sizes.

Checked over the watermelons and from what I can tell, all the flowers it has are males! so that is why no fruit. Wonder if that is because we grew them from seeds we saved?

I planted round two of the peas today for fall harvest.
[signature]
It could be a way that the watermelon plant ensures the female flowers get pollinated, the male flowers start first, then when there are bees because of all the male flowers, the female ones start coming out. That is just a guess on my part but we could google it[Wink]. That one watermelon I had that started to grow must not have been pollinated because it has not grown since I first saw it[Sad]. I've never had the problem you are describing with seeds I've saved.
[signature]
we're up to two tiny watermelons starting, not sure they'll get to eating size, but still nice to see something has set anyway.

harvested the largest cabbage yesterday, and our 1st Armenian cuke.
[signature]
I looked again today and the one watermelon I first saw was turning brown, so I guess it did not get pollinated but after looking around some more I found two more melons that look to be doing good. Still no cantaloupe though and my cucumbers are no bigger than two or three leaves so far, so I'm not sure how that will turn out[Sad].
Glad you got a couple of W melons coming on too, how big/long was the cabbage and Armenian cuke?
[signature]
Cabbage was 5-6 inches across, cuke was about 20" . Oh and I saw a 2 inch green bean last night and orange tomato (both in my bales) that I didn't see earlier in the day so it was a really nice surprise.

We got down to 48* last night, 10* cooler than forecasted. Got the house down to 60, a nice temp for afternoon temps, but a bit chilly with the fans blowing through [laugh]

My today's job is to start tackling (pruning back) those side shrubs while its still a nicer temp this week.
[signature]
They were predicting lower temps here last night 58 degrees and that was what it got down to. From what I remember your temps up there are usually 10 degrees cooler than our. As a matter of fact they are predicting lower overnight temps all week here:
https://www.ksl.com/weather/forecast
I guess it's time to start cutting back on watering times, seems kind of early for it to be cooling down but I'll take it after all the heat we got last month.
Grapes are starting to ripen, they are kind of tart now but they will be much sweeter in the next month.
[signature]
yeah often that is correct, it was just so much cooler than the ksl app on my phone had predicted it would be so it was shocking to be that far off.

Got dumpster of tree trimming done so that is all I could fit for this week. Next week, while Jeff is in recovery mode, I'll fill the dumpster with another load and still will need several more weeks before its all done. Luckily we never fill our dumpster with normal garbage so using that left over space for my trimmings works nicely.
[signature]
Man that some temps for this time of year. I forget about those low numbers near Sept. I planted grapes here last spring and so far ok. Half my Elderberries didn't make it but 4 plants should be enough for some wine in a few years. My lettuce, Rudabackers and Bok Choi came up, but some bug seems to like them better.
[signature]
When you say dumpster are you talking about your trash can? If you have a dumpster full of tree trimmings that seems like a lot[:/]. This is what I think about when I hear the word dumpster:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster
[signature]
What kind of grapes did you plant? When I first planted my grape vine, it took several years before I started getting grapes. Elderberries, I've heard that make great wine[cool].
[signature]
Yeah the wheeled kind of trash can, sorry for that confusion.
[signature]
LOL, I thought so because I've never noticed a dumpster at your place but I thought maybe there was a community dumpster nearby.
[signature]
Last 2 nights we been down into the upper 40s.

Found some more watermelons have set fruit - now we just cant have early frosts. If we even get close in the forecasts we'll be covering a lot of plants with the frost cloths.
[signature]
Hasn't been that cold here, only in the low 60's. Nice going on the watermelons, now they will have to grow fast[Wink].
I haven't taken any recent pics of my whole garden, so here they are. I took pics of everything, except for the carrots, this time and I'll label each one. The pic of box #1 shows yellow squash and carrots, mixed in together. Same with the pic of the zucchini(Z), they are mixed with the buttercup(BC) plants. I won't do that again next year, mix BC and Z. In the pic of box #2, you can see the broom sticking up from the end of the box, that gives you an idea of just how much has grown out of the box[crazy].
[signature]
Wow some of your stuff has really taken off. Our watermelons just don't seem to be growing all that fast so not sure we'll even get any of them this year, but it is that ring's first year, next year should do even better.

Today we picked another cuke, several squash and 2 tomatoes. Jeff reseeded more lettuce and radishes, and round 2 of our peas-in-pots are now 1-2 inches up so doing well.

Got the call from the hospital about Jeff's surgery Monday, we have to be there by 6AM, so looks like this time we should be first in line - fingers crossed...

Your canned salmon was pretty tasty, we just finished it today. Thanks.

Now I have to load some new software (genealogy) on my computer now, my old software is no longer supported, but luckily, the new stuff with convert my files over 'easily' (or so their advertisement says - LOL) here goes....
[signature]
We haven't planted radishes in years, how many rounds of them can you grow per year? Maybe we will give them a try next year.
Wow 6am, that is early, that will likely put him in first place for sure. Best wishes/prayers.
Glad you liked the salmon, it is packed in there pretty tight but after flaking it up, it's not too bad.
Picked 21 green beans today, I was really surprised because some of them were pretty big, so I must have missed them before. In just the right light you can see stuff that you would otherwise miss.
They are doing the big reveal today on the Extreme Home Makeover house. Starts at 4 pm, so we are heading over there about 3:30. I doubt they will let us see the inside but it should be pretty cool to see the family get their new home. Amazing they built it all in one week, including a shed and a garden plus solar panels on the roof. Here is a pic from a few days ago, before they got the lawn in. Not the best pic because they would not let us get too close but hopefully we will get more pics later today.
[signature]