Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea for building my first custom rod
Idea for building my first custom rod

My purpose for building this rod is to create a rod I seem to need that doesn't exist on the market.

Closest to what I want to do is fly fishing, but I've done it, like it and put it all away long ago learning new styles of fishing. I want to push the limits of what a spinning rod can do that approaches what fly-fishing can do with some of the larger flies.

I know the water weighted bubble is a substitute, but a fly fisherman wouldn't even think of making such a splash.

Background, purpose and inspiration for the custom rod I might build:

I shore fish a lot with a focus on cast and retrieve lures. Very early in the morning when it's breakfast time for the fish, IF I'm awake, my thoughts are the fish will still be just as wet in the afternoon.

The fish avoid shallow water on clear days with a calm surface due to vulnerability to predatory birds, so they go near the shore to feed when it's dark like just before dawn when I'm sleeping, so when I get out to fish in bright sunlight, the fish are in deeper water away from shore.

Where I shore fished at Silver Flat and Tribble Fork Reservoirs, that combined with the fish being tiny to mean the proper lure presentation is small and distant from the shore. This is usually not a problem because I haven't been targeting the tiny fish that are in high altitude mountain reservoirs and I have been using big lures to catch big fish at other reservoirs.

But, I already have just about every sort of rod for different fishing styles, so adding one more makes sense for increasing my collection and enhancement of the versatility of my fishing capabilities.

I caught a tiny planter trout out far from the bank by casting a 1/16 ounce jig head with a scented glow tube a maximum distance which was significantly less than the distance I was casting heavier lures.

I experimented with a lightweight rod which I deemed more suited to the lightweight lure weight. But, it was significantly shorter than my ten foot rod for 17 pound test line. Both would cast about the same distance. I figure the length gives an advantage and the match to lure weight also gives an advantage yet neither rod has both advantages.

I've never seen a lightweight rod that is also long except for fly fishing rods which are totally different and not for spinning reels and I have never heard of one being used that way until I got this CRAZY idea of getting a long and light fly fishing rod for my spinning reel.

On my way back thinking about that, I talked to John at Cabela's who said it's been done for drifting the fly down river with a spinning reel. Not quite the same and there are other significant differences.

Still, I'm thinking of trying a very light and long fly fishing rod for my spinning reel loaded with three pound test Nano which is what I used for the tiny trout on my heavier rod.

I know people custom build their own rods for subtle differences from what can be bought, but this is majorly different and even more a reason to build what I can't buy.

I think I'll be building my first rod. I want to get a premium lightweight and long fly rod blank and spinning rod guides and a spay handle.

Is that CRAZY?

Where do I buy the supplies for that?

From this related post regarding inspiration for the idea:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
[#0000FF]Anglers have been building spinning rods on fly fishing rod blanks for many years. I made my first ones while living in Sacramento and fishing the salmon and steelhead rivers of the north coast of
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]California. The longer length provided better line control across big waters and also helped with shock absorption when fighting large fish on light lines.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]When I moved to Utah in the late 1970's I built a "bubble-chucker" spinning rod on a 9' 6-weight fly rod. I used it not only for throwing a bubble and fly long distances, but for bottom bouncing flies on the Provo and other Utah Streams as well.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline "BROWN TROUT 2.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]One other application for building spinning rods on long blanks is for "dip sticking". There is a whole line of "crappie rods" made by several manufacturers...up to 16 feet in length...used for reaching out and gently lowering lures or baits beside cover to catch crappies. I made mine for making similar vertical presentations to bass, crappies, catfish and sunfish while kicking slowly along in my float tube..."dip sticking".[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF][inline DIPSTICKS.JPG]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The costliest way to get what you want would be to buy a made up fly rod, strip the guides off and rebuild it with a spinning rod handle and spinning guides. Better to get the blank you want and then piece together the other component parts.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Yes, Virginia, there are definitely lots of uses for a long spinning rod.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You could also contact Utwalleye on our rod building board about where he buys his supplies.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...gi?forum=7
[signature]
Wow! Thanks for the excellent post from young TubeDude!

I've been having this on my mind and talking about it with fly fishermen and got the advice to check out Mud Hole for supplies to build this rod that will extend my spinning reel fishing capabilities to distance with light lures.

Some have also told me to fish a water weight bubble. I resist that as much as the also effective popular use of Power Bait. Perhaps I might make an aerodynamic slim float with a tungsten worm weight. Water weighted floats just seem like a lot of bulk getting to catch air drag.

Where I was fishing last weekend, there wasn't the room behind me for flyfishing distance and I was even casting further. I want to push the possibilities with a custom rod.

I also like the dip stick use you described which I can do with more fatigue with my surf rods.

Would a 1 or 2 weight long fly rod blank be a good choice for an intended very small lure or medium to small fly using three pound test Nano?

I'm thinking of a light lure loading the rod some perhaps with that custom weighted float. Though I prefer to not have a float at all, I suppose I can compromise with something dense and light.

https://www.mudhole.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobC...gLNrvD_BwE
[signature]
[#0000FF]Personal recommendation would be to go no lighter than a 5 weight rod blank for your intended uses. A 1 or 2 weight fly rod is a novelty...for small streams and small fish. A heavier rod would allow more applications.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Before trying to make your own, you might also take a look at some of the aforementioned crappie rods at [url "https://www.bnmpoles.com/collections/fishing-poles/products/bgjp"]B & M[/url] .[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I am attaching a writeup I put together on "Spinning Flies." Like yourself, I learned how to swing a "fairy wand" in earlier years. But I also pondered on how to effectively present fur and feathers with spinning gear. Over the years I have both invented and learned from others a whole bunch of ways to "Git 'er done".[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also attaching some info on the basics of rod building. I would be happy to get together with you to help put together the list of components you will need to create the rod of your dreams...and to show you the steps to assembling them when you are ready to rumble.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks, TubeDude! I've just read that and will study it further and likely make up some combination rigs to use for future shore fishing for small fish out far like they were last weekend at Silver Flat Reservoir. I also might like the 16 foot three section rod, if it is as I suspect much lighter than my 15 foot three section Ugly Stick surf fishing rod that is too heavy for light lures. But, oddly there are no specifications except the hint that they call it a "Jig Pole" which might correspond to your term "Dip Stick" for jigging under branches for crappie. At the low price, I might just take a chance on it. I suppose I will be fishing from my kayak and not needing to cast far on this trip and since Lost Creek is no wakes allowed, it will be excellent for the kayak. I still want to extend the capabilities of my fishing rod collection to include casting lightweight far for shore fishing particularly since I'm still focused on the diversity of shore fishing skills and like it for the athletic aspect of covering a lot of shore by fishing as I hike the shore. I'll not order a rod just yet to take you up on selection of components for building a custom rod custom that would be best for me.

Ronald Smile