Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8hp Outboard
I'm going to buy a new 8hp 4 stroke outboard to replace a 2 stroke outbord I currently have.
I will use it on a 17' crestliner for trolling. I have priced outboards and keep coming back to the Tohatsu outboards because of the price. Does anyone have any knowledge on these motors? I can get a new 8hp Tohatsu for $1800 Vs $2100 for a Mercury or $2400 for a honda.
I don't mind spending the extra money if the Merc or Honda is going to be better.
Let me know your thoughts, Thanks
[signature]
I recently purchased a Mercury 8HP four stroke from Marine Products in SLC. Tohatsu makes ALL of the Mercury outboards less than 30HP. There is a slight difference in price but I chose the Merc due to some minor differences in the tiller control handle. I went with the electric start model because my wife was concerned she might not be able to pull start the kicker in the event of an emergency.

I've used it twice since the purchase and it's a perfect addition to my Lund Tyee 1850. At Strawberry I can maintain a steady 1.5 to 1.7 mph in light wind condtions with only 900 to 950 RPM. I added an hour meter/tach that is well worth the low cost of the unit on eBay.

I really like the four stroke for it's quiet operation and no smoking like the older two strokes tended to do. I mounted it directly on my transom on the port side of the main 150HP Merc XS Pro.

Mike
[signature]
I had a 97' Mercury 9.9 that was a Tohatsu. Used it for years on my previous boat with no issues. Its still in use today as I see my old boat occasionally. The only complaint I had it didn't have electric start, other than that it ran tops.
[signature]
I had a Nissan 8 hp on my previous boat. This is the same motor as the Tohatsu. It performed well for me during the 6 years I had that boat. It didn’t like to start on cold mornings and sometimes took a little cranking. Since my shoulders aren’t that great any more I have really enjoy the electric start on my new outfit. All in all I think they are a good value and would not hesitate on buying one.
[signature]
I will probably go with the Mercury or Honda. I have been kicking around the idea of an electric start. The more I think about it the more I like it. It's a few hundred more but it's one of those things I don't think I would regret.
[signature]
I just bought
9.9hp Suzuki electronic fuel injected , Electric Start / Power Tilt it starts fast
has a good alternator

you can buy them on line they ship to your door no sales tax.

it is not hard to mound I did it alone and I'm getting old

I like it better than the merc I had, because of the alternator how good it starts and it pushes my boat faster.
[signature]
I looked at Suzuki but they don't make an 8hp and I don't really need a 9.9.
Where did you buy your motor?
[signature]
8hp and 9.9 hp are generally the same displacement ,it's just a tuning difference
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]My research indicates that Tohatsu Marine Corporation (TMC) builds all the engines for Evinrude, Tohatsu, Mercury and Nissan up to 30hp, except Evinrude which is 15hp.So, price and dealership location for parts and repair would probably be a deciding factor. The TMC 8hp is available with electric start (includes an 6 amp alternator) for about $300 more than the standard model. The TMC 9.8 and 8 hp engines have the same power-head (209 cc); the TMC 9.9 is bigger at 333 cc. The Mercury 9.9 Pro-Kicker engine is listed at 208 cc which tends to say it's the same engine (power-head) as the TMC 9.8 & 8. And as mtncat1 said, the difference is probably in the tuning/carburetion.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Help me out here. What difference would there be between a 9.9 and 8? Would the extra power hurt in some way? About boat motors, I'm still catchinon.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Bob, you are an ever-flowing fount of knowledge! Thanks for researching so the rest of us don't have to do so much.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I ordered a 8hp Mercury with Electric start.
Next question is what is the correct way to tie the fuel line into the main fuel tank or fuel line? Thanks
[signature]
i teed mine into the main fuel line for the boat (suction line ) . then i put a quick connect on the out side of the boat to connect the kicker fuel line and pump bulb.
you were wise to get electric start ,just for the charging power .
[signature]
I think you made a wise choice. One thing I would add, is to run Clear Gas in your boat to prevent the carb. in your 8.8 Merc. from gumming up a jet.

humpy
[signature]
Just an update. I have used my New 8hp Merc outboard on several trips since I bought it the end of June. I really like it and I am very glad I went with the electric start. I also like the Forward / Reverse on the tiller handle. It is super easy to use and is nice not to have too move a lever to change gears. The best thing is having it plumbed directly into the boats fuel tank and not having an extra tank to deal with. It runs fantastic and is super quiet.
I appreciate all the advice i received when looking to buy a new motor.
[signature]