Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 2019 Gardens/Flowerbeds
We also do well roasting the broccoli in the same way. Both of us really like cooking, we often say we are so fortunate to rarely have a mundane meal. You can buy the garlic already minced, we get large jar of it from Costco but small jars are available in regular grocery stores.

Failed to warm up very much today, and I can just see the tops of the mtns out front thru a split in the cloud cover, they definitely got snow atop of the Wasatch.

Tomorrow should be drier and little warmer but the skies will start clearing as well letting that night temp drop at least few more degrees - finger crossed. We plan to pick up the greenhouse along with some extra supplies for it from Home Depot. Then drop the truck back off at our son's for him to finsish up his lanscaping project when on his days off this next week.

We got 7 quarts of spag sauce from my picking yesterday, saving a few aside for BLTs and some cherry toms for salads.
[signature]
43 overnight temps last night. Here is a pic of the snow, I took late yesterday. So you are getting the greenhouse today? I was thinking you might have to order it. Wow, you really did get a lot of tomatoes to make 7 qts.
[signature]
36 last night, but the frost cloth seems to have kept things good. Yeah! the view out the front always looks so pretty to see the first snow on it. Supposed to be 37 tonight.

Yes HF has them in stock so we didn't need to pay freight charges to order one in, so that was nice. Also stopped by home depot to get wood for the base to sit on and some misc. hardware that we've learned from watching many videos online is needed to help beef up the greenhouse. Still need little more hardware that we'll probably get on Monday after physical therapy.

Today was the first day Jeff has really not had much pain at all, in fact he said it actually felt odd, like they are loose since he had no swelling he feels his new knees are actually going to be better than those worn out old ones. [laugh]

Our spag sauce recipe uses ~ 50 tomatoes and spices. We just know how full to fill the pot to cook it before we can it.
[signature]
43 here overnight, bet you were glad you had your frost cloth out. Good deal they had the greenhouse in stock. How much work do you have to do to beef it up?
Good to hear Jeff is doing better.
[signature]
Yes it really saved us a lot shipping costs, plus we could use 20% off coupons they always have available. From all our research, it seems the polycarbonate panels like to blow out, so they get screws in them instead of relying solely on the provided clips, and some said they kind of like try to twist , so we'll use some electrical conduit to make some braces inside of it, the panels also tend to get moisture and insects inside of them (they are corrugated like cardboard is) so we are sealing them to prevent this and we are gong to put in auto opening vents instead of having the 4 windows on top being manually operated. So the $100 we saved will just about pay for the auto vents. The rest of our changes to is about another $100, still its all a good price.

We worked on tree trimming that we needed to get done today as some of them were so large we didn't want to risk doing after the greenhouse is in place. We actually got the tallest one cut to fall just where it didn't hit anything. So I'll get it all cut up this week so we can trash it.

We were 33, but the frost cloth kept everything in good shape. The next week we are supposed to keep in 40s at night so I think we'll get at least another week possibly 2 before we get too much more damage.
[signature]
You have to love those 20% off coupons, especially on those big ticket items at HF. Sounds like a lot of modifications to get this GH set up the way you want, hope it's all worth it, I guess it will be if it all works out in the end.
Did you end up cutting a whole tree down?
It's only been 49 degrees the last two night here, I think we are done with the fans for this year.
[signature]
we always pick the large green tomatoes just before the killer frost when we can. take them in and put them on a towel or newspaper and they will ripen we have had tomatoes into december[Smile]
[signature]
tractor supply has frost fabric in the spring.
[signature]
Yes, we love HF for things that don't have to be too exact. We always stock up on their work gloves that are neoprene coated knit - great for gardening, yardwork, and when sorting/buying wood at the stores so you don't get slivers. Their great.

It is lot of mods, but still the cost isn't too much compared with everything else we've done both for temps and water [Wink] but once its done we'll spend a lot less energy and time covering/removing/etc. I'll still do my planting in the bales, but being able to get some things started before we usually can will be a plus for sure.

The tree we cut down was one that planted when we first did our landscaping 15 years ago. It wasn't a sucker tree but it did grow out from about a foot up the trunk from the ground, it was a good 5-6 inches in diameter and at least 30 feet tall with lots of branches. We've sawed up all the logs by hand, now we are cutting up all he branches so everything fits inside the cans. You can about do that sitting in lawn chair in the shade. You can hardly tell it had ever been there - LOL.

Pretty nice temp in the garage, so I've been doing all the pre-assembly work I can in there. Hope to at least get the foundation assembly all level and in place before the rain comes this weekend. We're forecast to have 30* low temps, so possibly we may be even colder this weekend. I'll check with the boys to see who maybe has time next week to help get the walls and roof all up. Think if there are 4 of us we can probably knock it out in day. Then Jeff and I can put in the poly panels. Maybe we'll actually get it finished before the winter so it'll really be ready for use next spring.
[signature]
Don't you have issues with the rotting before they get ripe? We always have no matter if we use paper, straw, always making sure none touch one another, seems they go bad even before they have ripened. We've even put them in a cooler location of the basement, one that gets no additional heating to it, and we still have issues.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, does it sell by the yard or is it just a predetermined length?
[signature]
Cutting down trees or branches is a lot of work, I've got to do my cherry tree before Winter hits. The best way to cut down a tree, one branch at a time[Wink]. Then the problem is, getting rid of it. Hopefully I'll find someone that can use some cherry wood.
[signature]
"one branch at a time - I liked that comment, isn't that the truth. We used to have chipper-shredder machine that would make quick work of branches, but either it died or Jeff gave it away, I have know idea which or if its just not been run for so long that he doesn't want to mess with it for one tree so it stays buried deep in the garage, so we'll keep hand cutting up the branches for now.

I thought Jeff would be interested in the cherry wood for his lathe, but he said he still has some from the last tree someone was cutting down that he hasn't used. Maybe put it on the BFT For Sale board, there may be others who will want it, and maybe they'll even come cut it down for you.

Got everything I could pre-assembled for the greenhouse. Tomorrow (and possibly Friday too) we plan to layout the 4x4 foundation, get it nicely leveled so next week after the rains have passed, we can start actually assembling it. We're also going to pick all that we can from gardens - the SP plants are still hanging in there so we'll let them go for as long as we can - I'm really hoping I actually get some I can use. Our Sat night forecast temperature may put a quick halt on everything, so we'll just see.
[signature]
not much trouble we keep an eye on them occasionally one that got partially froze or damaged will go bad but most do well.
[signature]
it is prepackaged 8' x 50'
[signature]
Good to know, I'll keep an eye open for it. I really like having it available for whenever you need some.
[signature]
I may end up giving it a try again. What do I have to lose trying it anyway. Do you use cardboard box or some other type of container to layer them in?

We'll be uncovering stuff from the double layer frosts cloths today and tomorrow ahead of the rains and colder night temps. We were 38 this morning although the forecast was for 46, we just have to be in a colder spot location that what forecasters are using. [crazy]

Do you still live in Morgan? The town? We live in Enterprise, closer toward Mtn Green.
[signature]
yes Porterville, we use boxes or a towel and any available space in the back room/not heated. looking at the temps forecasted this weekend might be it.[:/]
[signature]
OK sounds good. Thanks

This is a beautiful place to live isn't it? Even with our gardening troubles, we wouldn't trade it, or lifestyle it gives us.

I think I have a good place to give this try again this year. Fingers crossed, we'll see how we do. Worst case, it'll again not work out and I'll just end up tossing them.

Yes this weekend really seems like we're in for some pretty hard frost conditions. We've already seen frost on some grasses and rooftops in the mornings lately but this weekend will be even colder than what we've had thus far. So time to harvest what we can.

We grow our peas and pea pods in really large pots that sit on wheeled platforms so they're easy to roll in and out of the garage. We are already on our second batch this year, they have already started making pods and flowering profusely so we know there are many more to come.

Finally decided to invest in a greenhouse so we can extend some plants' growing seasons by planting sooner and harvesting later. We are not planning to heat it, just using solar heating. Today and tomorrow we'll set in the foundation so next week we can begin its assembly.
[signature]
Our SP plants always grew well, until we got a hard frost, maybe you will make it past this coming weekend, if not, I hope you at least got some that grew to a good size.
Here is a pic of a strange colored buttercup squash that is growing in my grow box #2, the second pic is of a normal colored one.
Picked over 165 green beans today. Not sure how much longer this will continue.[crazy]
Good luck with the GH.
[signature]