Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with trolling motor
I have a 2003 Johnston 4 HP four stroke that I am having a difficult time getting running this year. I rarely troll, so it hasn't been used since last year. It has always started and run fine, but for whatever reason it is struggling this year. It will occasionally start, on full choke, and run for a few seconds and then die. I have replaced the fuel and replaced the spark plug. I live in the Bountiful area and would love to find someone who has some skills on working on these motors (I know some great boat mechanics but none close to where I live).
[signature]
Sounds like it’s not getting fuel. Have you checked the fuel line connections and the primer bulb? You might also disconnect the fuel line to the carburetor and make sure gas is getting to the carburetor. It’s also possible that the carburetor is gummed up especially if the motor was stored without burning all the gas in the carburetor. There is usually a small fuel filer that may be plugged up.
I don’t know whether any of this will help but it’s worth a try.
Just to confirm it’s fuel supply i’ve started a motor and when it starts to die I’ll drop a small amount of gasoline from a soda straw directly into the carburetor. If you can keep it running by doing this you know it’s a supply issue.
[signature]
You might want to try the Sta-Bil Start Your Engines! product I mentioned when you were having trouble with your big motor a while back. It's The Real Deal, The Bomb, The Cat's Pajamas, etc

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bi...r-engines/
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I agree with patchydog. You could also have water in the carb bowl. Condensation, or fuels containing ethanol are a problem. Typically there is a drain screw on the bottom of the bowl. You can take it out to see the quality of the fuel there.
[signature]
Starving for fuel.
Start at the carb and work your way back to the tank.
When your choke is engaged it increases the vacuum in the carb. More vacuum sucks more fuel.
I would do as stated above, if it runs with fuel added at the carb when dying, fuel is for sure the problem.
Check coming out of the pump, then see if there is a clog in the pump or before the pump. Cracked or split hoses are also suspect. Look for a vacuum leak between the carb and tank.
[signature]
I would definitely check the carb if you put ethanol gas in it. The pretty easy to check.
[signature]
I say leave it the way it is.

When you try and mess with it, it seems to be a sturgeon attractant. [Wink]
[signature]
Yep, it did do that.[Smile]
[signature]
I bet a good carb cleaning would take care of your problem. On those little motors you can clean the carb and have it back together in 30 minutes.
[signature]
[quote fish_fanatic]

On those little motors you can clean the carb and have it back together in 30 minutes.

[/quote]

I don't know who this "you" guy is, but I'm an accountant and intimidated even thinking about tearing into a carburetor, but you are probably right (about that fixing the issue).
[signature]
Thanks for all of the suggestions and it seems to be fixed. I removed the hose, just beyond the filter, and gas shot out, so I knew the line wasn't clogged, at least up to that point. I loosened a screw that went into the side of the bulb and let some gas drip out. BTW - there isn't a primer pump, just a gas tank built into the top of the small outboard. I have no idea why, but it now starts up and continues running.
[signature]
Now that you got it running I would add some sea foam into your tank. The stuff works miracles and is great for the not so mechanically inclined, like us! One ounce per gallon of fuel. I add it to every small engine I own, especially when things start to act “gummed up”.
[signature]
Sounds like you're the man for the job.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
The float might have been stuck, that is a very common thing.
[signature]
[quote POk3s]

Now that you got it running I would add some sea foam into your tank.

[/quote]

I add Sea Foam regularly to all of my various boat tanks, my snowmobile gas and also my lawnmower gas.
[signature]
The "you" guy can do it! There was a time long ago in a galaxy far far away when cameras used film and had to be developed. But, now "You" can take things apart with confidence by just taking a long series of pictures every step of the way, so when it comes time to put all the little parts you clean gum from back together, you just follow the pictures in reverse.

I also think fuel turned to gum and varnish to make parts sticky and orifices reduced flow.
[signature]