Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spring prep.
hey all, the ice is getting ready to start to melt here in utah, and i was wondering what would be proper pre fishing checks to do on my tube. what should i look for or watch out for.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, young man, how are ya? Sounds like you are ready for the ice to be off the ponds.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you left your tube aired up over the winter, and it is still holding air, you should be okay. If you did what you should have...and let the air out...and stored it in a cool dry place...you will need to air it up to the max and check for leaks. Just air it up tight and let it sit for a couple of days. If it loses air, you will have to take the tube out of the cover and look for the source of the air loss. If it stays fully inflated, you are good to go.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Other than that, check your waders for leaks and your fin straps for cracking. Get your reels lubed up and put new line on the spools. Go through your tackle and toss any discolored or rusted hooks. Make sure all the hooks and split rings are in good condition or you leave yourself open to losing those big fish that often hit well at ice out.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you use plastics, toss any that are chewed up or have lost color. Note: never mix chartreuse plastics with other colors. The chartreuse dye will discolor almost any other color plastics.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Once your gear is in shape, and you can get on the water without having to break through six inches of ice, go for it. And let us know how you do.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Okay, now I'm Confused. My pontoon manual says to keep the pontoons mildly inflated so as to not create any wrinkles/cracks in the rubber. They have the old fashioned tire rubber bladders in them.

Is completely deflating still the best for the old rubber bladders?????

nate (AKA EmuScud)
[signature]
i dont know about bladders because i am using a heavy old truck tube, so for me it is. tube dude should have some words here too.
[signature]
We have the same stuff. The company that made my pontoon is out of business nowdays, go figure. They cut a large truck/tractor tube in half and sealed the ends so they wouldn't leak. Put a nice cover on them and walla! Pontoons. I am in trouble if they ever start to leak on those seams or develop major cracks.

I could maybe get a fatcat then . . . hmmmmmm maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

nate (AKA EmuScud)
[signature]
[cool]If I am going to not be using my craft for awhile, I leave it partially deflated. This holds true for inner tubes and plastic air chambers (vinyl, butyl, urethane, etc.). Keeping a partial inflation reduces tha chance for flattening and cracking.

Some folks just don't have room in closets or small garages to keep a full or partially inflated craft. So, make sure you store them on top of boxes, etc., rather than piling heavy weight on your deflated air chambers. Less likely to compress or crack the walls.

If it holds air, it's okay. If not, you make quick trips back to shore.
[signature]
Excellent news. I'm going to try to tryout my wood plugs at the mouth of the Provo this weekend. See if I can get ahold of a walleye or two before they close that section of the river for 2 months.

Any theory to using treble hooks on lures vs. single hooks?
[signature]
You can still fish the mouth downstream from the Center Street bridge after March 1st. Early in March you should still be able to pull a few out since they won't have all gone upstream yet.
[signature]
I thought that the Provo was closed from the lake to I-15 from March 1-May1. I'll have to double check.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]By all means, verify the cutoff point. There are sometimes quite a few fish laying in the deeper holes in the lower river, waiting for the water temps and daylight hours to line up for the spring fling. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you can get away for some night fishing, throw those plugs right next to the rocks along both sides of the long point at the mouth. I used to wade and cast in there and had big ol' mamas rolling against my legs at times. And, don't go home if the wind comes up. That produces agitated water...current...that the wallies love for spawning. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I used to do well with the old Thin Fins. When rattling lipless crankbaits came out (Rat-L-Traps) they became my lure of choice in muddied waters or after dark. They will also entice largies at times.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]For night fishing, I painted some of my lures solid black...with a red line down the sides. Don't know if the line made any difference, but I have used red and black at night for several species with good results. Looked purty anyways...and the fish voted for it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Treble hooks? That's a personal choice. I use single hooks on quite a few spoon baits, but I think trebles might give you an edge on plugs. Just my personal opinion.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
That's correct. The proclamation states that for the purposes of this regulation, the lake begins at the Center Street bridge -- that's the boundary. Guess since It's called Utah Lake State Park, they figured they better call that last 200 yards of the river part of the lake? [crazy]

I just checked the 2004 proclamation. It states under Provisions for specific waters --> Provo River:

(a) East from Center Street Bridge (Entrance to Utah Lake State Park) to I-15:

- Closed March 1 through 6 a.m. May 1st.
[signature]
[blush] I misread your post. DOWNstream from the centerstreet bridge . . . Maybe it isn't too early for the pontoon . . . I hate paying the park entry fee to fish that section. I'd rather float down.
[signature]
You can fish off of the shore on the South side of the river, outside of the state park. You can even launch your toon from there too. No need to pay any entrance fees. I hate paying the fee too. At the Center Street bridge there is a dirt road that goes south around the river and continues out around the airport dike. You can park in a couple pullouts along the river and launch there of fish off the shore. You can also launch above the bridge in a flat sandy area then go under the bridge and downstream. Just don't toss in your lure before you get under the bridge -- never know when the wildlife officers will be watching you! [Tongue]
[signature]