Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garmin DIY Contour Maps
I have been fishing places like Willard, Hyrum, Glendale, and the Snake River. My electronics came with basic mapping that didn't have contour lines for these waters. I read about Navionics mapping service, but I'm too cheap to pay the annual price and deal with storing data and sending it off and waiting to see what you actually recorded. I recently saw that Garmin had a Quickdraw Contour Mapping option that draws contour lines on YOUR map while you drive your boat. It stores map in a SD card and can be shared. Accurate mapping at up to 10 mph, but when I zoomed from North Willard to Island, it was still mapping at 20 mph. I recommend under 10.
I ordered and installed the Garmin echomap chirp plus 73SV . with the QuickDraw feature and Transducer. I took it out to Willard after lunch yesterday for it's first test. Turning on the app at the dock, I proceeded to map the bouy area at 7 mph before heading North to the outlet area. Still mapping I headed south at 20 mph to map the rock piles and the Island. At the Island I mapped at 8 mph . I used Tracks to help guide me. In about 23 feet of water, I would map an area out to 35 feet on either side, or a 70 foot swath with 1 foot contour lines with depth shading.

Start of Island mapping:

[inline "1Willard Island start with Quickdraw.jpg"]

[inline "2Willard Isand map n tracks.JPG"]

[inline "4Willard Island (2).JPG"]
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
That's pretty cool.

I got a Lowrance TI2 this spring to start doing the same thing on the waters that I fish alot. But between my bear hunt and now I'm flying out Friday to get my newer boat in Alabama I haven't had a chance to do any mapping yet.

Hope to be out soon after I get back and pay the tax man to be able to play.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
A 12 inch screen would be nice. To stay with a touchscreen, it would cost another $300 to go from a 7 inch to a 9 inch screen with no added features. I hope you will be as happy as I am with your new T12.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Is that your new boat, you are getting in Alabama, in the pic?
[signature]
Yes it is.

Flying out tomorrow and will pick it up Saturday morning and start driving back.

It's going to be Christmas in July. [Smile]
[signature]
Sweet boat, are you renting a truck to pull it back? Good luck on your trip.
[signature]
We are getting a Budget moving truck to bring it back. It is half the price of renting a pickup truck since it is a one way trip.
[signature]
Never thought about that, good idea. How long is the boat?
[signature]
It's a 2010 1750 Fish Hawk.

It's 17.5 feet long and has a 115 four stroke motor.

Was supposed to fly out today but the flights got delayed to the point that there was no way to get to Alabama today so I went home and will try again tomorrow.

Now we will be laying over in Austin, TX before flying to Alabama. Jut hope that the storm hitting the coast doesn't screw up the flight again.
[signature]
Hope your flight today turns out better. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for this boat?
[signature]
Don't mind at all. We settled on $15,000.

While talking with the dealer found out the motor only has 48 hours on it and a few other extras that weren't in the pictures.
[signature]
Wow, that is low hours. I bet a boat like that around here would have cost much more.
[signature]