Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey from AZ
Hey guys, I’m headed out to the Bay Area this weekend. We have another trip booked on the Sea Wolf out of Emeryville. We usually go a couple times a year up north and a few more down south. Anyways, I’ve been thinking of getting my own setup and am wondering what a good starter budget one would be. What should I be looking for and what should i avoid? I don’t mind renting equipment but I figure with what I spend I might as well buy my own. I always figured the gear you rent was for the novice anyways and I feel I might be getting a little above that classification 😂. So any suggestions and rods, reels and tackle would be much appreciated.
[signature]
What type of fish are you targeting? I carry several setups with me depending upon species.
[signature]
We usually just go for rockfish or lingcod. We’ve done striker before too though.
[signature]
Rockfish and Lingcod can easily be done on the same rig.

If you wanted to get started on a decent rig for both, I would recommend the Okuma Avenger combo. It can be used for both species and can handle the required 20lb test.

For those who may not be fully skilled with a traditional reel, the Avenger actually has a levelwind to facilitate reeling in at an even pace on the reel.

If you have the acquired casting and retreiving skills for a conventional reel, then you could use the Okuma Catalina or the Convector reel. Those come in different sizes for 15lb, 20lb, 25lb and 30lb.

The rod is a 7foot medium heavy with a medium tip.

The Avenger combo should set you back about $70 bucks or less if it is on special.

If you go with the Convector and the Okuma Pursuit rod, you can pay @$150 or less depending on specials.

If your budget permits, and you want a high speed reel, the Okuma Solterra SLX can be used and will range from $129 up to $299 depending on size.

Amazon has specials for the general public. Check them out and see what fits your budget as well as fishing needs.
[signature]
b