Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fun day at Lincoln Beach
We woke up this morning at 5:30 to go fishing, and at our house in Payson it was raining. We took a closer look at the weather and decided that it wasn't raining at the lake, so we were on the water by 7:00.
Richard started right out, caught his first by 7:05. While I got several hits, he continued to catch. He kicked my butt today, catching a 25 1/2" two 26", and two 26 1/2" but none of them big enough to give him a bump, for a total of 13, compared to my 8, all released. The lake was beautiful and calm all morning until about 10:30 when the wind came up. We continued to fish until about 12:30, until the heat got to us. overall a very good day.
[signature]
Sounds like a fun morning, you two are really nailing the cats this year... Way to go... Hope maybe I can sneak out this weekend for a few and see if I can catch my first one since May... Hope I still know what to do... Thanks for the report... J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good to see that you guys are keeping the little guys exercised...but leaving the bigguns alone until I get back down there.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Saw on the news last night that they are closing Lincoln Beach due to algae...again. Any problems with launching?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
What a great morning, thanks for the report! I'm glad you made it before the closure and didn't "succumb to the scum!"

I was actually out there Wednesday evening and got skunked. Well, I didn't catch any fish, but for the first time in more than 20 years I had people in the boat that just wanted to see the lake. Only there an hour and didn't even bring a rod.

I still can't believe it happened, but I'll blame it on the cold medicine I've bee taking all week.

Did you find you fish mostly in 9 FOW or were they scattered all over?

P.S. I had warned my "tourists" that the lake was under warning for HAB's but that nothing had been "closed" yet. It was ironic that the harbor was already "dirty" enough to be closed, but the paperwork hadn't been done yet.
[signature]
Hey Pat,

I launched there the evening before the closure and it looked fairly normal for summertime. Clumps of crud along the shallow vegetation, but no huge surface areas covered with thick wind-blow algae.

I'm no longer convinced that I can tell blue-green algae from the slightly yellower variety that we all know and, ....well tolerate
[signature]
Pat, There was no one, or sign, to tell us we couldn't launch. Maybe Lynn removed the sign before we got there. There were other boats (3) that were out as well.
[signature]
We found fish at all depths even in the weeds. The last few trips out we concentrated mostly on the deeper water, 7 to 91/2' I think we took 4 from the weeds before the wind came. Started having trouble so we left and headed back in.
[signature]
I’m convinced Utah Lake is one massive cesspool. It’s a sick lake full of runoff and crap and decay. I can’t go there anymore. It’s filthy and dirty and unsafe in my non-expert opinion. Such a shame too. It could be the most amazing place in Utah if it could somehow be cleaned up and avoid being the collection site of all of Utah counties’ runoff. It smells. The water isn’t clean. Anyone disagree?
[signature]
"I'm no longer convinced that I can tell blue-green algae from the slightly yellower variety that we all know and, ....well tolerate"

[#0000FF]Most of us Utah Lake veterans can attest to the fact that there has been green goo on the lake as far back as we can remember. And I'm convinced that there has been at least a moderate amount of the nasty kind too. There has just not been the attention or the testing in times past like there is now.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Since those dogs died after drinking the water at Lindon in 2016 the "agencies" have been more attentive to water quality around the lake. And the media has picked up on it more because it makes great sensational news.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I'm all for protecting the public against the potential for illness...or worse. But good grief! Closing Lincoln Beach because of an annual algae bloom that has been going on for decades?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]It ain't killing or affecting the fish. And (unfortunately) it ain't depleting the power squadron folks. True, the cyanobacteria does have the potential for creating some health hazards. But so does driving down the freeway...and we still allow vehicles on the road...even those with "polluted" drivers. Their toxicity makes the news daily.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]So don't flog yourself for not being able to tell the difference in types of algae. I think it is a lot more important to know where to fish and how to fish on any given day.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]The sky is falling...the sky is falling.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I’m not usually this way with most things. I’m looking for someone that’s more of an expert to tell me I’m wrong. I think old timers have fallen in love with the lake and feel a need to defend it, as if it’s a member of the family. Am I wrong about my thoughts on Utah Lake?
[signature]
Pat, Richard said he didn't see any signs at LB actually closing the water or telling folks not to launch. I saw the report on a FB post my wife sent me last night about the algae bloom.......again. But There is almost always some form of gunk floating on the water, especially in the relatively calmer waters in the channel. Since we do not swim, or ski, or do anything in the water except maybe wash the worm dirt or fish slime off our hands, should we continue with our plans to be down there tomorrow? I suppose if LB is really CLOSED, closed, we could go up to AF. Have plans for UL trips tomorrow and next Saturday. Hate to have to change them.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Since you are only expressing your opinion, and much of what you said is subject to lots of personal interpretation by people, you are not wrong.

I am a chemist/engineer by training and trade and years of that have made me a "show me the data" kind of guy.

Water quality testing date for chemical contaminants give the old pond a cleaner bill of health than many, if not most, Utah waters that look prettier.

Chemical testing of the fish shows no mercury issues, but an issue with an organic contaminant(PCB's). Merchants can legally sell salmon in their markets with comparable or even higher levels (of PCB's) than all but the carp in UL have been tested at. Are there contaminants, yes. The shrimp and tuna in the oceans usually have higher mercury levels, your call.

Decay/Smells, yes. Any body of water where there is vegetation exposed by the lowering water levels smells that way. I just returned from the Puget Sound area and every time the tide goes out it smells the same in areas with gently sloping shorelines and bottom conditions that promote vegetation growth. I don't lile the smell along the coast either, but I tolerate it.

Cesspool: More than it should be, but hugely better than just a few decades ago. I have seen no credible evidence that any of the local communities dump untreated waste or waste that doesn't meet current treatment guidelines into the lake. Is there too much "nutrient" contamination in the lake from those same communitites, yes! And we have increased algae blooms. Areas of the lake see ecoli warnings some years due to human wste material left where crowds gather and no facilities are present. Same thing happens at the edeges of Strawberry and Powell. Ocaisionally those lakes get brief or localized problems too.

Full of runoff: I can only hope! Runoff is the vast majority of what fills all our lakes. Does that runoff have more junk in it because of what we put in the streams as they pass through our communities, yes.

I do sometimes "defend" the old pond when people are getting/giving mis-information about things like consumption advisories or are the fish "safe too eat," but I don't disagree with most of what you said. I just feel that on a data driven level, it is still a good/safe/pleasant place to fish most of the time.

On the lighter side, I don't object really loudly to much of the publicity because I like the reduced utilization that often results.

Quote:It could be the most amazing place in Utah
The unselfish side of me couldn't agree with you more!
[signature]
Forest, pardon me for barging in, but the closure at Lincoln was only announced yesterday. In past closures there were indications at the Lincoln ramp indicating the closure. I think they just hadn't appeared yet this time.

I would recommend being safe (legally) and trying another launch. Maybe Lynn has newer first hand info.
[signature]
Thanks Jim. Guess we will divert to AF or maybe Lindon. Not been out of Lindon in many years.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
That is a great day!
[signature]
I fished Lincoln Thursday morning and saw Richard's outfit in the parking area and also had a brief chat with Ben at the ramp. No closure or warning signs when we left at about 10:30. I'm okay with the warning signs, just don't want to see it closed to fishermen wanting to launch. I agree with others, the blue-green goo has been there for years and has only become an issue in the past couple of years. Much to do about nothing; don't play in it, avoid it, but fish on.

Must say too the fishing that morning with the overcast skies and calm water was some of the best we have had this year. The cats were very active and hungry. We caught many cats, probably around 30 or so and they were all very healthy and full of fight. Best cat was a 28 incher but many in the 24 - 27 inch range. It could only be describes as fast and furious fishing.

Fished in Provo Bay earlier in the week and again today. Windy with a little rain but still managed a bunch of cats -- again, the biggest was a 28 incher.

Had a first last week when I was accosted by a cow while fishing Provo Bay in my kayak. Was fishing near the reeds and heard something come toward me from behind..... turned to see a cow swimming right toward me. Was uncertain if the critter had anger issues or was just looking for friendship, either way there was not enough room in the yak for both of us. My yak paddle must have looked like one of those wing-flapping duck decoys as I paddled to deeper water. Alas, the bovine came to his senses and headed back to shallow water.

With regard to Lincoln... put up the warning signs but do not deny access. I'll be there tomorrow for more great fishing.
[signature]
Wow, you are having a year of great stories! Attacked by a monster pike and now a beguiled bovine. I'm betting on you to get the 36+ cat this year[Wink]

Thanks for sharing the story.
[signature]
Forgot to mention, right now I would love to find 28 inchers[Wink] However, if the summer is just loads of "fun size" cats, that is still OK....September is coming!
[signature]
[#0000FF]From everything I can determine, it is a "soft" closure...advising against swimming, etc. When the big closure hit in 2016 they actually put barricades and signage in place.[/#0000FF]

[#0000FF]You can check on their website or call if you need assurance. [url "http://www.utahcountyonline.org/parks/ParkDetails.asp?IDNO=9"]LINK[/url][/#0000FF]
[signature]