Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OutCast PAC 900
Seeking info on putting a 2.5 hp gas motor on a Pac 900
Such as any experience doing this
Read some post where some had experienced frame failure
[signature]
Buenie,
I hope i can shed some light on your question. I have a Scadden Skykomish sunrise with a 4 HP Johnson. Even though Scadden's are good quality I had a Welder at my work beef up my back deck for my piece of mind. There are a few things that I am still working out on my toon and one thing you must be aware of is motor height so your boat will get on plane properly. My motor is older and prop is always engaged so I have to turn motor around for reverse. This is actually a real good thing because I turn the motor around and troll in reverse using my Finns to steer. This is by far the most comfortable way to troll. I also have been playing around with my frame placement moving it forward around 6 inches. Outcast makes a good toon but if I were you I would beef it up a little if possible. I have upgraded my straps for I have heard of some bad accidents from Dave Scadden but that was generally from guys using a motor that was way too big for the boat. I really think if you are using a 2 1/2 horse you should not have much of a problem. I however would call outcast just to see what they have to say on the matter. I am glad I went to a gas motor it opens up a lot of water that in the past i haven't been able to fish. Do you already have the motor? If you have not I think I would try motors that you have access to just to see what horse and style are best for you. I have a 4 HP that you could try. I know I wanted the biggest motor that was safe on my boat and I think I found it in a 4 HP. Dave Scadden said I could go up to a 6 HP on my boat but at full speed with a 4HP when I hit waves from bigger boats 4 HP is all I want. If I can help you out in any way feel free to ask, I think your going to love a gas motor. I have also sent you a short youtube video. Tube Dude is our in house toon expert and I am sure he would have some knowledge to pass on.
[signature]
Thanks for info
Talked to Josh with Outcast today
He told me the Pac 900 is good up to 3hp gas outboard they do not recommend going over that
I planned on putting a Susuki 2.5 on it, which he said will be no problem
I fish the 3 lakes in South Park Colorado Antero, Spinney+Eleven Mile
For last twenty years I have done it out of a FISHCAT Float Tube
I'm close to 65 ready for oars + motor
Thanks again for the help
[signature]
Welcome to the site Buenie, we do have a Colorado board, here is a link to it:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...i?forum=15

If you are ever interested in sharing some of your fishing adventures, we would love to hear about them on that board.
WH2
[signature]
Your Welcome, and if you ever find your way to Utah to fish give a holler I will join you. The Utah BFT boards are very active an occasionally we have a Flotilla. At our spring Flotilla we must of had 40 to 50 people attend and after a morning of fishing we had lunch. I think you will like BFT and it's a great way to meet fellow fisherman.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good luck with your gas motor addition. More and more tooners are opting for low hp gas motors, but I have no personal experience with them.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]As you have been advised, it is always good to check the hp rating with the manufacturer and then to add some frame reinforcement if needed. Over time, with repeated use and occasional wave encounters your frame can weaken at weld points.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Been there. I had a Merc 4 hp on my Outlaw. It proved to be a bigger pain in the rear. Had the advantage of being lighter and more power, but going with the Minn Kota Maximizer 45 and 55 gets me everywhere that gas did. No pulling a chord and smell either.
Definitely good idea to beef up frames, but to be honest, I have a frameless pontoon with a motor mount that could handle a 4 hp motor.
I was probably one of the first in Utah to add a motor to an inflatable, and it is experiment to find what works.
Get a well built boat.
[signature]