Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing the Mojave?
Just curious if anybody has ever tried fishing the Mojave River where it's dammed up in Victorville. There's a small county park (?) out there with camping and lots of mosquitoes if I recall correctly.

Anyway, just wondering. My brother used to try fishing out there when he was in Boy Scouts.
[signature]
I haven't been out there but I do watch when they are planting trout in that area. It must have some positive activity for them to keep planting.
[signature]

Hey there DrownedDesertRat,

I suspect the river has been dammed in more places than Victorville. There ought to be some 'sand' bass out there somewhere!

JapanRon
[signature]
what you are talking about is mojave narrows state park used to live in apple valley and fished there every week in the winter they stock trout in the summer catfish there are also blue gill crappie and LMB

there are some really nice bass in there i saw a picture of a 15# plus caught out of there myself i have caught them to 7# also have caught cat fish to 12#

the best way i've found to fish there is to rent a row boat row out to the island and flip nightcrawlers into the reeds that is you hook them once in the sex ring not thur and let them sink slow use a strong hook and heavy line maybe a small split shot on top of the hook good luck if you go

never had much problem with mosquitoes
[signature]
Are you planning a trip out here soon???[Smile] It almost sounds like it. We'll see ya when ya get here.
[signature]
Yup! Just this morning I remembered the name of the place. My parents go out there once in a while. Don't they have a hot air balloon show that hits once a year?

No plans on fishing there any time soon. I've gotta make a trip to Cali before that happens. Heh. Wouldn't it be crazy to have a BFT fishing trip to Mojave Narrows? That would be a hoot and a half!
[signature]
I was thinking something more in the lines of Castaic. It is not too far from there and it has easy freeway access as well. Everyone could bring their float tubes and we could do some serious bass chasing there.
[signature]
I'd hafta borrow yours. I've never used one of them.
[signature]
Not a problem buddy. I do have extra tube and fins. All you would need is to bring your waders. It's lots of fun and good for the whole BFT family.
[signature]
Waders? What would I need those for? I swim in these here Minnesnowta waters. They get mighty cold. Them southern Cali lakes are probably warm enough to take a bath in.
[signature]
You may do alright without them. In the summer I am waderless myself. The water temp starts out at @70 in the morning and is up to @79 by noon.

I was only thinking on the other hand. The one that says waders in the left hand or a dry change of clothes in the right hand.
[signature]
They are having some good clearance specials on 3.5 neoprenes as well as light weight waders right now. Let me know if you are interested.
[signature]
Thanks TubeN2! But I'm broke right now. I need something a little thicker up here I think. Then again, I don't usually wade or float.
[signature]