Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rabbit back at it.
Even though I fenced off the back garden, I forgot to fence off the space along side my shed that backs up to the garden. My second planting of beans grew great but not one bean left. Momma had me set 4 traps for him but no go. 20 gauge with 5 shot I hope persuaded him to move on. I'll do a mix of pole beans and bush next year incase he learns how to jump in and out. Fall crop I planted came up but bugs got to them. I'll try again in Sept. I read lettuce need to be under 80 degrees to make it.
[signature]
Well that's too bad, those pesky rabbits can sure cause a bunch of problems real quick. Hope your next crop makes it before it cools down. We got at least another month here, temps still in the mid to upper 90's[crazy]. Might get two more months or more, if it's a mild Fall.
[signature]
I replanted the beans again, and Rudabacker, turnip. See what happens.
[signature]
Seems like seeds sprout pretty quick when it's this warm, so if you can just keep Mr rabbit away, you should be fine[Wink].
[signature]
Have you tried covering things with that bird netting to keep the rabbits out as well? We've had good luck using it to keep the deer from munching on things. Pole beans will likely just get eaten while they are still young plants so it may be good option.
[signature]
No JJ I haven't tried it and I do have a bunch to use for that. If my seedlings make the garden I will throw the bug mesh on it. Beans are breaking ground as we speak. [Smile] The rabbit was wise enough for the beans to form. They are tough here in the south for sure.
[signature]
Maybe you should get a small game license and set some snares to bag up a few of those pesky rabbits - [Wink]
[signature]
Small game license??S Surely you jest. I'm so far out in farm country the cops barely come around. We have guns going off all the time with the boys target shooting in their fields. So my shooting rabbits is open season for me. I do have to thank you for the idea of the netting. I put down Bug Netting over my third planting of beans and late season lettuce. No bugs or anything eating away at them. Great idea. That one I sent some 20 gauge #5 shot at it hasn't been around. [cool] [Rabbit]
[signature]
was it wasgally wabbit? [laugh] I haven't had rabbit since I was a kid, but I liked it then so hope you get a tasty meal or two from it.

Glad the netting seems to be helping.

So far the deer here aren't eating my sweet potato vines, thankfully, as we built some pvc framework to support the netting as well as creating a greenhouse in the spring so I can plant a little sooner. (our shortest (on record) growing season - from late frost to first frost) was only 20 days but generally we usually get at least 60 and a good year would be ~100+, much shorter though than WH2 typically has (different sides of mtns can be so different here).
[signature]