Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Times and Lethargic Cats at Utah Lake 9 7 2019
Executive Summary: We did the morning thing out of Utah Lake State Park on Saturday 9/7/2019. We started at 5:30 and ended about 1:30 catching and releasing over 20 cats but working harder to go it. The 15 or so whites all wanted to be on bait duty or to come home for dinner. We enjoyed them last night. Most of the whites and all the cats came on FLAITs and WB dragged between 0.3 and 0.8 mph. The cats seemed to prefer the slower speeds, especially after the sun came up. Most of the whites hit when we got above 0.6 mph. The whites that didn’t hit FLAITs took a crawler rig. The air temps were more moderate, starting near 60 and not hitting 80 until after 1. Water temps ranged from 74 to 78 degrees and the winds were southerly at 5 to 7 early and then very light after about 9. The big bright spot was Julie’s first 10-pound cat and on the negative side was a strange lethargy in the bites and battles of the larger cats.

Full Story: We got to the ramp at about 5:30. A bit earlier than needed, but as fall approaches I keep thinking I might “accidentally” bump into a walleye in the transition ours. While we were on the ramp a couple of bank tanglers drove in, but no other boats until well after daylight. Trolling out of the harbor at 1.5 to 2 mph with the electric produced not hits, no runs and no run over buoys either. Julie man’s the spotlight because she knows I get too interested in the rods and sometimes get too close the things.

Out of the harbor we headed a couple miles south, farther than we usually go. This trip I was trying a couple of gear tweaks. One was designed to catch whites or cats using a fairly large FLAIT for bling and noise and a 1/0 circle hook. I hoped that, like the cats, the pesky whites would hook themselves and we could focus more on the rod loading hit of the cats. In twenty minutes we had two whites in the boat and the set-up worked just as hoped. Later things would change, but I still like it.

The first cat came about 6:30, a 2 footer that hit and fought aggressively. After that it was one every 15 minutes or so, with whites mixed in here and there. We wouldn’t have any shortage of fresh bait. Just after seven our 4th cat hit hard and acted big. “That one is yours,” Julie said. She does that because she says her arms haven’t had 50 plus years of fighting fish to strengthen them like mine have. I think it is that and she like to see me get excited when I get a bump fish for the contest.

A few minutes into the fight, with what would be a fiesty 26.5”, another rod went down hard. Julie took it and went to work. I was hoping it would be a good fish since she had to take it and (hopefully) see that she was ready to tackle a good one. She fought it all the way to the boat and then had me take the rod so she could net it. She likes to do that part and she is getting good at it. It wasn’t a contest fish, but it was a toad. 27.5 inches on the board, but 10.5 pounds one the scale. “Your first 10+!” I said, full of excitement and pride. Although she tried to hide it, she was pretty excited too!

By 10 we had netted about a dozen cats and 7 or 8 whites, well the whites were mostly flipped into the boat. A couple of the cats had gone 28+, but nothing big enough for a bump. As the morning progressed I started to notice a change in behavior. The hits became less aggressive, but more unusual was the way they fought. Even the bigger ones seemed to come to the surface and roll slowly, like cold water cats. Often they would do that all the way to the boat and then explode when the net came out. The water was still in the mid 70’s, but they were just lethargic.

We went through a stretch of at least half dozen hits where they would latch onto the larger baits and hold them, the rod would load up just to the point where we would reach for it and then they let go. Sometimes the even stayed on long enough to start taking line off and then they would not get hooked. It happened with several cats and then two or three whites did the same thing. I finally wondered if we had dulled the hooks bouncing over some gravel or something. I pulled a bait that had had 3 on in a row and not hook-ups. The point did seem a bit less sharp, so I quickly retied it and the 1/0 hook for the whites. The next several fish still didn’t stick.

We were headed shallower and things seemed to fix themselves. We got a couple of hard hitting, hard fighting cookies on the white bass rig. Thinking maybe the fish turning more negative was the cause, I downsized another bait. For the rest of the morning we had two smaller baits and two larger baits in the water. The smaller ones usually resulted in solid hits and hookups, but smaller fish. The bigger ones would stop and the rods would slowly load up, like a bigger fish, and then just before it was time to grab the rod and start the battle they would just let go. I would guess we had over a dozen hits like that in two separate time windows. At one point I remember watching a rod going down and saying: “Come on now, just stick, just stick!” and the line went slack again. About 12:45 we landed our last cat and we started for the ramp a bit after 1.

It was a good, but strange morning. On the good side, Julie got her best fish to date and learned she could handle the bigger ones, we got something north of 20 cats and 15 whites in the boat and some nice ones. On the strange side was the cold water rolling behavior and the larger fish just nipping at the baits and not inhaling them. Every day is different. Enjoyable, but different.
[signature]
Great report. That 10 pounder is sweet
[signature]

Well done Jim, Julie -- sounds like another fun day on the water. The water where I fished this week was really gross, almost chocolate colored. I attribute it to the wind we have had this week but sure would be nice to see clearer water again.

Glad you got out again and had some success. I still think the best is yet to come as the water temperature continues to drop a bit. The big ones are still out there and they should start stocking up on grub to see them through the winter.

Big ones yet to come.
[signature]
Great report once again. What is a FLAIT exactly. I know what a Santee is and a flig but not a flait.
I went bank fishing on north dike at Lincoln Beach and got a double. Both were fighters and crossed and forth across my lines so many times I ended up having to cut both lines and re rig both poles. But both fish were about 24-25” this was Thursday morning.
[signature]
Yeah, I keep forgetting the FLAIT setup too. If you could drop by sometime when you have a few minutes and show me I could share it with Mooseman. Do post it, but seeing it live and in person helps me [Smile].

Hey Mooseman, my brother reported catching a 26.5"er there on Saturday while I was busy at workshops. He also related that he caught some of the little white bass on flies when they were dimpling the top. We'll have to get some.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks, she was really excited.
[signature]
Thanks Lynn, we did have a good time, but we stayed at it a bit longer than we probably should have.

The water was the same where we were at. It has been like that for a while. I'm still hoping to get 2 more good ones to meet my goal this year. Lots of good days still to come. I think the cats may not be enjoying our late summer. Like us, they are ready for cooler water.
[signature]
Thanks Justin! FLIG came from FLoating JIG. FLAIT comes from FLoating bAIT. It is really somewhere in between the FLIG and the Santee Cooper. The main difference is that the float/bling is free to slide up and down the line. Also, TD makes FLIGs, I buy the floats I use. They are usually Lil Corkies, Soin n Glos, or Wobble Glos. I rig it with 8 - 16 inches of line below a swivel. There is usually a bead and the float between th ehook and swivel and then a walking sinker above the swivel. The sinker runs anywhere for 1/8 to over 1 oz depending on the size of the float and bait and the depth of water. Here is a picture of one on a cat:
[signature]
OK, I 'll make up a couple and bring them by you house. If you promise to share[Wink]

I don't really see a big differnce between the 3 rigs in most situations. I just learned to do it this way first because I had some of the floats in my tackle box already and it works for me.
[signature]
I really do think that the bling makes a difference. I'm still learning a lot and relying on what other taught me last year. I want to add other rigs to my arsenal and I've seen you kill the cats with these. Thanks for always being so willing to share.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I made up one for you and one for Justin last night. I might stop by on my way home from work tonight.

Do you see Justin often enough that I could leave them both with you?
[signature]
Yup. We plan to go out again this week. You could leave them in my bait box on the porch if I'm not home.
[signature]