Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB report 9/12/19
Mooseman and I went looking for some bumpers yesterday. Pisco had dropped off a couple of his FLAITS and we were excited to try them out. They were a real hit, pun intended. Every fish we caught was on one of them. They were in a clown color which is a sort of light chartreuse with red eyes. I baited mine with old stinky white bass and he used his garlic shrimp. As luck would have it I caught a couple of fish that would have given him a bump, but not me. He got four. We fished down by the orchards, starting by the L and far enough out that we were in 10 fow. Eventually we worked our way in to about 7.5' but when we started to get hung up on rocks we moved back out to 9-10 fow and headed back. We didn't catch any on our return leg. The fish seem to shut down about noon.

The air temperature was 46° when I got to the beach at 8:30. The water was right at 70. Justin had his smart phone so we could gauge our speed. I got it all calibrated so I don't have another expense of buying a finder when I have several other things to buy to get the boat decked out (is that a pun?) the way it needs to be.

When I got home a guy pulled in to the curb just ahead of me. I was afraid I had run over his cat or something but it turned out to be the man I bought the boat from. He has relatives in the area and they had recognized his boat and he came by at just the right time. He wanted to check on how everything was going. I've never been able to get the kicker started. He showed me how to do it and it was just what we had been doing except he suggested that we try throttling it up a little. I'll get a barrel of water and he will come back and we'll check it out. Every time out I learn something new and am starting to get confident enough to run out to farther destinations such as the island and Mud Lake. The main motor starts right up and purrs along. Once we have the kicker going for insurance I'll be all set. Thanks to everyone who has helped me with the boat.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I wondered where you were fishing yesterday.

Vi and I didn't get out there until about 1100 as we both had something to see our medical providers for. (they needed more money) I recognized your rig in the parking lot, but could not see you or your boat. Thought maybe you had gone out to the island. We went over towards Mud Lake after fishing near the channel for a while. We were able to pick up a few, but no bumpers.

What a beautiful day to be on the water. Quiet peaceful and no harassment. It reminded me of a bad ducking day.

Good to know things are coming together with your boat and all. You will soon be a Pro.

rj
[signature]
Saw you guys out there again this morning. Didn't know it was you until I saw your truck parked next to mine or I would have made a run your way to see how you were doing. Good to see you are getting more comfortable with that new boat.

I stayed out in front of the springs (you probably saw me) and did okay but nothing bigger than mid-20s. Was surprised to see the water temp has dropped about 10 degrees -- 64-5 degrees today. Looks like some rough weather coming next week so I plan to give it another go in the morning. Those bumper fish that usually come with the cooler weather/water are overdue. Tomorrow is the day.[Smile]

Lynn
[signature]
Craig it was a pleasure being on board with you again. We didn’t slay them by no means but I learned a lot about the lake and it’s depths from the edges of the weeds. There wasn’t a real magic depth we caught anything in. It was anywhere from 4.5’-10’, not one depth did better than another. I had caught 5 straight fish on a flait and loved it. I switched the finger tiger flig from TD to a blue/silver flig and as soon as I did I started catching a couple on it. I finished with 4 fish today and Craig had 6. The day before I had 4 and Craig had 2. We use basically the same setups so it’s funny how they attract to one person but fish are funny I found out.
[signature]
Yeah, if you total up the two days, we each caught eight. Now we just have to find the big ones. Maybe we can follow Richard and Violet around--at least we could cheer for them when they pull in another bumper while we scratch out a couple of cookie cutters.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.