Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elk rut
When do the elk typically get into the rut in Utah, Colorado is typically starting now but gets really going at the later end of the month. Reason I’m asking I’m looking at the extended archery season here and wondering if that would be a good option for next year when I can get a resident tag

Thanks Alan
[signature]
I think of the first day of fall as a good reference point for the rut. There will be quite a bit of pre-rut behavior throughout September. I don't see much difference in the timing of the rut between the two states. If it is bugling you are interested in you should keep in mind that there are many variables such as weather, moon phase, local estrus patterns, human pressure, elk moods, etc. that affect it. But however you slice it there's no better time to be in the woods than the second half of September.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks, figured they would be close. Yes I also love being in the mountains during the fall, crisp air, colors and the screaming of bulls
[signature]
The rut does crank up as September starts to fade. But several things can effect it from year to year. Hot weather can really shut things down. I have watched/listened as bull go silent on weekends when lots of hunters are out in force blowing bugles like its a marching band dressed in camo. And by tuesday when they have all went home, the elk start ramping back up. I hunt deer and elk with either my bow or muzzy depending on my mood on any given year, and i've had years that the elk were going nuts into mid october. Other years not a peep. Good luck to ya.
[signature]
Thanks for the input
[signature]