Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry over the weekend
This post is slightly late, but I put my float tube in at Strawberry on Saturday, making the short hike in to Horse Creek. The afternoon was slow-ish, but it picked up in the evening. I had a rod with a full sinking line (type III), and a rod with floating line. I caught a few on a rainbow colored sparkle minnow, a couple on a sparkle bugger (size 4 and 8 respectively), and a few on trailing nymphs. I missed a couple on dries at dusk, when there was a fair amount of rising. Long casts and user error conspired to prevent me from hooking up with any surface feeders, but they seemed to take the leech pattern as well and were easier to hook that way. I hooked maybe one or two good fish but straightened the size 16 nymph hook on one and lost another in the weeds. I forgot to put my thermometer in the tube but the water still felt quite warm. I'm hoping things pick up as fall proceeds.
[signature]
Sounds like fun...thanks for the report. This will be the first year in countless years, that I will not make it to the Berry for the fall bite. Sad. It's a blast! Just gets better and better as it cools. Take care.
[signature]