Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muzz hunt report
Took the front stuffer out in search of the mighty muley and hiked my tail off trying to find a shooter buck. My tail end is still hurting because I hiked for NOTHING! The range has never looked so good this late in the year, just wish there were some animals to enjoy it. My boots haven't seen that many miles of STEEP up and down for a few years. Total deer seen...4 does and 3 fawns. That was it. Not a single buck. That last winter must have been bad for the deer up north, or they just weren't in the area anymore. Lots of hunters, not a single deer hanging in anyone's camp. I've hunted this area for years and usually can turn up something. The deer are usually pushed way away from the roads so that is where I went. I didn't even see very many tracks. Lots of elk tracks and sign, but not deer.

I did see a lot of grouse, both ruffs and dusky. I also had a monster moose cross in front of me about 20 yards away grunting every 20 seconds or so. Double eye guards up front with huge palms out past his body. He had to turn his head just to walk through the trees. Beautiful bull.

I was planning on staying until late Saturday, but with very few deer and a storm coming this weekend, I decided to cut it short and come home. I will probably go out in the morning and try a different area of the unit hoping to at least see something.
[signature]
Keep after them. Maybe this storm will change up their pattern just enough for you. Any elk talking?
[signature]
They were going pretty good, but all on private land.
[signature]
We have been hunting the East Canyon area and are noticing the same thing, see more elk and moose than deer, a few does and a couple forties, I don't remember seeing any reports on a winter kill in this area but I'm thinking there may have been. The range is in great shape with plenty of feed, the moose my wife took and my son's cow elk taken on the bow hunt were in great shape and fat. Hope everybody else is having better luck.
[signature]
Always a downer when they aren't legal. But sure is fun to watch and listen to them all worked up. Good luck to ya
[signature]