Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Striper Lures
Just wanted to check and see what everybody's favorite Striper Lure was, and which Line and Weight, and what kind of Rod Length is popular for striper fishing from SHORE...
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] I wish I had some input for you, but since my return (in October) to fishing. I have yet to catch a Striper.

Catfish, Trout, Pike, Boredom, and a buzz or two but no Striper. However, I currently use Spiderwire on 2 of my rods 1 is 14lb and the other is 20lb. My new rod I have 17lb mono on it, set for testing tomorrow. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Take care, [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
the wild eye storm swimbaits get alot of use cause they look great, catch fish, and are cheap . . depending on the weight you get - you receive 4-6 lures for $3 at wal mart . . both the shad and rainbow trout color are popular . . the heavier ones work for jigging too as well as casting

for shore fishing id go 7-1/2 to 10 foot rod, med to med/heavy action, 15 lb test outta work well . .

sm
[signature]
[cool]Hey WiNtErKiLLnv. I agree with southerman abot the Storm swimbaits. I got my two biggest stripers{ 12lb and 17lb} on them. The rainbow color is what I use. I use 10lb test and 15lb test on my rods. Since I fish mainly from a floattube, my fishing rods are about 6'6" to 7' long. I do surffishing when I'm visiting in Calif. and there I use 9' to 11'6" poles. They will cast alot further and can hold up to larger { 20lb or bigger} fish.
[signature]
If you are fishing from shore then get a light or medium surf stick-maybe 9 ft. or longer - to be able to throw up to maybe 3/4 to 3 oz.s into the wind. From a boat you can get by with a shorter stick. For shore get a good spinning reel - no backlash. For boat get baitcasting reel: Abu 5500C3 or 6500C3 which you upgrade to C4 when you can.

Trout type striper lures will burn-out a hole in your wallet fast! Just search on Google. Several sites selling trout type striper lures. You need a selection. Some of the most innovative plastic lures are coming out of California right now. Woodies for spring and plastic generally year round. Alan Cole (Nevada record) lives in Boulder City and sells lures locally through Boater's World in Henderson. IMHO big stripers get quickly accustomed to the same baits so be prepared to be innovative. Good striper fishermen tend to be secretive. Don't forget you also need some tools to throw the lighter shad swimbaits.

If you have any woodworking/lathe skills try making your own wood lures. Maple and poplar is a good wood species to use. You can get pieces of that and most of the lure parts locally.
[signature]
welcome to the nevada board [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=reellittlephish;"][size 1]reellittlephish [/size][/url]

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
[size 3]go to [/size][url "http://www.ebay.com"][size 3]www.ebay.com[/size][/url][size 3] and search for '[font "Arial"]SHAD JIGGING SPOONS'[/font][/size]

[font "Arial"][size 3]a guy has them for $1 a piece . . this is what you want to jig for them big uns at 80-130 feet ![/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]sm[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks so much for all the info and advice, Im sorry I havent posted in so long, ive been keeping my eye on the board, just didnt feel like saying much. Lost my best friend. He's the one who taught me how to fish and hunt and just about everything else I know...........
[signature]
sure sorry to hear you lost your friend . . . are you a weekend warrior or can you fish during the week ? lots of guys and gals here need a fishing buddy!

sm
[signature]
Thanks for caring. Well I get out on the weekends for the most part, and sometimes on friday. I do have a rubber raft that a friend gave me over the winter and I need to try it out, but for the most part I only get to fish from the shore. Im working on my project 4x4 this weekend and the next but hopefully after that Ill be ready for a fishing trip.
[signature]