Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Son's bear
I just got a call from my son in Colorado telling me he harvested a young bear today. He said he walked about 20 miles all over the mountain yesterday so took it easier today. He was hunting the edge of a burn when the bear came running straight at him. When he got 50 feet away my son took the shot but the bear "jumped the string" and turned to run at a 90° angle and he got him through the pelvis with his .300 Winchester Magnum. A couple of follow-up shots through the chest dispatched him.

I'm very happy for him. I took him deer hunting in Montana the day he turned 12. He got several chances but couldn't connect. Now he's in his thirties. He's been hunting off-and-on since then and finally got his first head of big game last year when he shot a unique five-point bull in the same area he got the bear. He found a spot where atvs fear to tread and he barely made it with his old 4Runner with 40" tires. Lots of game, little pressure. Maybe next year I'll join him for the elk hunt.

No baiting is allowed in Colorado so it's a pretty neat deal when you still-hunt an autumn bear down. I've never done it in my 66 years.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Congrats to him on his bear harvest, curious if he made any comments about the carcass after it was skinned and what it reminded him of. The meat did make good stews.
[signature]
Picture?
[signature]
Haven't seen one yet. Will post if/when I get one.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.