Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Float Tubing Waters
A daughter of one of my co-workers took these pics when she was in Antartica. Some "extreme" fishing conditions to say the least. She is quite the photographer . . .

ES
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Great pics, my friend. Thanks for sharing them.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Reminds me of the iceout float tubing trip I made on Starvation about this time of year. The wind came up and blew a big sheet of thick ice toward me...where I was trapped against the dam. I barely got out of the water and ran up the bank before the ice hit the dam...and pushed almost all the way up to the road.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I didn't get caught by the ice, but I split out the crotch in my waders, in my exertion to get ashore. That cold water on a sensitive area definitely gave me some incentive to reach a dryer and warmer environment.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The Antarctic is surprisingly full of life. I read a piece in National Geographic a few years ago that showed them fishing down through a hole in the ten foot deep ice. They were catching huge grouper like fish. Amazing. I would hate to have to drill a hole in that stuff with a hand auger.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
If I had been at Starvation that day, I think there would have been a trail of warmer water in my wake[blush]. Scary stuff. As far as ice fishing down that far south, I would imagine it is difficult to find ice that is only 10' thick. Imagine the arm wrestling matches with those guys after drilling a hole that deep . . . where the men are men and the women are too.

ES
[signature]

Hi there EmuScud,

Nice pics. On that first picture.... icefishing....she's pretty clever to use the surrounding landscape as a bobber![laugh][Tongue]

JapanRon
[signature]
I think that area may require my 20 millimeter neoprenes and defenitely my self reinflating device for the tube. Just one question! How do I avoid the punctures of those killer whales when they hit my tube??? Naugahyde, Buffalo Hyde or just .............Hyde somewhere that they can't find me.[pirate]
[signature]
TN2, [Smile][Smile][Smile]LOL! I would be hiding!

JapanRon, I would hate to see the fish that could make that bobber go under!
[signature]
[sly]Whales hell! Iceberg, straight ahead!![crazy][pirate]
[signature]
I am not looking forward to another Titanic issue, especially with a float tube.[pirate]
[signature]