Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile mechanic recommendation
I have a 1992 Mercury Black Max 150V6 outboard and I need to have the fluid changed, in the lower unit, and a new impeller installed. This is a little more than I am confident in tackling on my own. Are there any mobile boat mechanics that any of you recommend?
[signature]
I'm glad that your motor has made it thru most of the season. Is changing the impeller due to a weak stream or has it stopped pumping completely? If you are going to be the person ordering the parts, I would recommend getting the kit that includes the pump housing. This is due to the age of your unit and it may have grooves from wear over the years in dirty water. Might save having to order one after the unit is disassembled and finding it worn. Iboats.com can help insure that you order the right parts. I don't know of any boat mechanics that makes house-calls.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
[quote BURLEY]

Is changing the impeller due to a weak stream or has it stopped pumping completely?

[/quote]

It seems to be working fine, but it hasn't been changed since 2014 and Lee, of Lee's Marine, told me it should be changed every three years. I figure I am on borrowed time and much cheaper to replace the impeller than to replace the entire engine.

[quote BURLEY]

If you are going to be the person ordering the parts, I would recommend getting the kit that includes the pump housing. This is due to the age of your unit and it may have grooves from wear over the years in dirty water. Might save having to order one after the unit is disassembled and finding it worn. Iboats.com can help insure that you order the right parts.

[/quote]
Sounds like good advice, and unless it costs an arm and a leg, I will follow your advice.

[quote BURLEY]

I don't know of any boat mechanics that makes house-calls.

[/quote]

I have found a couple that do, but I also found mixed reviews on them. Randy kindly offered to help me, so I am good to go.
[signature]
Parts kit from Iboat lists at ~$35 . I would be willing to help and maybe gain some knowledge for when I need to change mine. Let me know when you are ready. Every three years does seem a bit frequent to me, but Lee is the best around.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
The more the merrier. The plan is to do it and change the wheel bearings in the spring. I will let you know when we have a plan.
[signature]