Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When they jump...
[cool][blue][size 1]Like most anglers, I have experienced days when the fish were jumping but not hitting anything I threw at them. Of course, if the fish are clearly feeding on some form of identifiable insect...or chasing minnows...they are usually catchable with the right offering.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]But, we have all had those days when we see fish leaping for no apparent reason (after the ice is off). Depending on the species, the water conditions (temperature, oxygen content, etc.) it can be for a variety of reasons. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]It is seldom because fish just wanna have fun. Fish approaching a spawn will sometimes make splashy leaps to jar loose their eggs. Fish with skin parasites jump to dislodge their unwelcome hitchhikers. I have even heard that some fish jump to reposition a heavy meal. I have seen the latter when large rainbows with distended stomachs were leaping...and made a noise while twisting in the air. Turns out that the fish we caught mostly had a lot of snails in their guts and these made grinding noises when the fish jumped.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Below is another reason why fish may jump. Anybody else got any pet theories on why fish jump...when they aren't feeding on anything?[/size][/#0000ff]

[Image: bl040227.gif]
[signature]
DUDE, WE CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON YOU FOR A GOOD LAUGH. AS I WAS READING I WAS TRYING TO GET INTO THE PHILOSOPHICAL PROCESS THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO MAKE UP SOMETHING ON WHY FISH JUMP. BUT IT WAS ALL FOR NAUGHT....I THINK THE BUNGEE THEORY IS THE BEST.

LATERS,
[signature]
The biggest fish I ever saw jump was on the Provo River. He was probably about 72 pounds, slightly exaggerated, but he was a big fish. He jumped all around me probably 30 times and if I had a gun I could have shot him easier than caught him. He was the only fish jumping in the area and I wish I knew why he was jumping because I threw everything I could think of at him. I still think he was flipping me off and tormenting me and that is why he was jumping, so I could see it.
[signature]
that was a great cartoon, I hate those days.
[signature]
I think you hit it on the head. I couldn't think of anything to add about why except for they might be just mocking us fisherman.
[signature]
I have been out in the yak at night in the ocean and had a huge critter jump close by actually splashing me in the process. At that point you don't care what it is or why it's jumping, you just hope it doesn't do it again. Can you say pucker factor LMAO. Good cartoon Tuber, Thanks.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I always thought they were jumping because they liked to taunt me. Apparently, I'm not the only victim to the fishies evil motives..[Tongue] Until I read your explanation about distended bellies I hadn't really considered that they may be jumping due to something other than feeding. It makes sense though. Thanks for the great insight. Oh, loved the comic too![Wink]
[signature]
Sensai,

Although you are wise in the ways of fishing; And your teachings are known and treasured throughout the lands......

You can be one funny Son of a ^#@!!!

[Wink]And all this time I thought they were just checking out my fishing partner's butt. Thanks for the laugh.
[signature]
Forget it Curtisfish, You are not getting my last bud light[Tongue]
[signature]
is anyone sure that they aren't just playing, i know other animals play. why not fish. or maybe they are just toying with us. either way it's all fun and games.
[signature]
Of course that isn't really my fishing partner. My fishing partner puts that one to shame.

[Wink]At least if she asks, that's what I tell her, and now you can tell her I said so too. It's called plausable agreeability!!! I got that pic from a friend and I'm not sure I want to know where he got it.
[signature]
I'd settle for the drink holder!!!
[signature]
[blue][size 1]Who can really know what lurks in the minds of fishies? I don't claim to know it all, 'cause I have been fooled more often than I care to admit. Still, I think the concept of play is one that only more intelligent creatures can claim to have. Many mammals and some birds clearly like to play with either members of their own species...or others. But I doubt it, as far as fish are concerned.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Coincidently, I just watched a fishing program a couple of days ago that had a brief bit on mullet. These are saltwater fish common around the warmer waters of the world. Wherever they are found, they can often be seen leaping high in the air, out of the water. The explanation offered on that program is that (like some other fishes) mullet have patches of tissue in their mouths that are capable of absorbing oxygen directly from the air. Whe the oxygen level of the surrounding water gets too low, they can launch into the air and snort a line of oxygen.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Many of the more primitive species, like gars, can survive in very warm and stagnant water, by slurping oxygen at the surface. Carp are known to do this too, and even some kinds of sunfish. I see carp "free jumping" a lot in warm Arizona waters and I wonder if this has something to do with it. I do know that it gets a lot of rookie fishermen excited...when they don't realize that it is only carp jumping. [/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I had that experience with Carp down at Utah lake when I was about 11. There were all of these huge fish going crazy jumping all around me but I couldn't catch a fish. Then my Uncle said they were just Carp but we didn't know why they were jumping. I've seen spawning Salmon jump out of the water to loosen their eggs supposedly.

FM
[signature]
I think that some of it is that the fishies go up to see the sun light, and feel the fresh air. Then again, some of them may just be excaping predators. I've seen black rockfish jump out of the water, and the next second a stream of blood flowing thru the water from a ling hitting on of them. Very cool to see.
[signature]
Sunlight is refracted by water. The fishies are just trying to work on their tans.
[signature]
DID YOU GUYS EVER HEAR ABOUT THE CARP, SHEEPSHEADS I THINK, BACK EAST I BELEIVE ON THE MIDDLE MISSISIPPI WHERE THEY WERE JUMPING INTO BOATS AND SEVERLY INJURING FISHERMAN, BOATERS, WATERSKIIERS!! SERIOUSLY, THEY WERE AND NO ONE KNOWS WHY THE FISH WERE JUMPING INTO BOATS, BUT I THINK IT KILLED ONE GUY, AND CAUSE SEVERAL HEAD INJURIES WHEN PEOPLE WERE HIT ALL OF A SUDDEN BY LIKE AN 50+ POUND CARP THAT JUMPED INTO THE BOAT!!! THERE WERE EVEN A COUPLE CRASHES FROM FISH KNOCKING OUT THE CAPTAIN OF THE VESSEL AND THEY EITHER RAN AGROUND OR HIT ANOTHER BOAT.

STUPID CARP. THATS WHY PEOPLE TOSS EM ON THE BANK!!!

LATERS,
[signature]
In some areas where the fish get parasites or other critters, they jump to dislodge the unwanted hitchhikers.
[signature]
You always find a way to make people laugh, where do you get all these fish comics???
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, PK, glad you liked it. We have a daily cartoon in the Phoenix newspaper..."In The Bleachers". Most of the cartoons are about the "normal" sports...baseball, basketball, football, etc. But, the guy who does them also comes up with some good hunting and fishing cartoons.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have a vast collection (maybe half vast) of humor, on all subjects...written jokes and images/cartoons. I have always believed that a sense of humor is better than no sense at all. If I need something to illustrate a point, chances are I have a fitting image in my arsenal.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]When I saw this one, I remembered that I had been thinking about this very subject only a day or so before, after seeing that fishing show that talked about mullet jumping to absorb oxygen from the air. From the input from others, there's a whole lot of jumpin' goin' on, and sometimes it's hard to know what they are up to.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]