Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG Spawning Lake Trout
So I was planning on going to FG and try for some lake trout. I fished for them earlier this year for my first time and managed to do okay. Was at Sports Warehouse today and the board said they are spawning. I am guessing that changes everything. Probably can’t use the same tactics I used earlier in the year? Will they bite while they are spawning? Am I wasting a trip? Any pointers?
[signature]
I was up there for the Columbus Day holiday and fished Linwood Bay along with it seemed every other boat and got nada. Marked a ton of fish in 100 fow trolling and jigging but nothing wanted to play. Talked to a couple other boats who claimed there had been big fish caught recently trolling but again I was just drowning lures. We got tired of fishing with no catching and headed to Hideout and casted for some rainbows. Thinking of trying again over veterans day. Good luck to you!
[signature]
They RARELY bite when they are spawning and then it will only be from aggression. I live in Garden City on the shores of Bear Lake and after fishing for these fish for over 30 years I can tell you that it is mostly a waste of time targeting them while they are spawning. I'm not saying this out of some weirdo respect for the fish and neither am I against keeping lakers, it's just that if a guy is wanting to catch them and must drive any distance to do it and spend money for gas, etc., then I want him to have the best chance possible. Since I live on Bear Lake I have the luxury of being on the water within 5 minutes and can fish for them anytime and it's the hardest time of the year to get them to bite right now.

I know that Bear Lake is not what you were asking about, but the lakers act exactly the same at Flaming Gorge and I've fished the Gorge a lot. My advice is to be patient and wait for them to finish their spawn and then they will put the feed bag on and it can be some of the hottest fishing of the year. I have no idea when exactly they stop spawning at the gorge, but here at Bear Lake they are done by November 15th and feeding heavy by November 20th it seems. It may be quite similar there.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Mike
[signature]
every thing gmwahl said is right

sometime you can catch one trolling with a 8" flat fish. I would wait to go.

and you see some people braking the law fishing for them. when there stacked up and spawning
[signature]
Sorry for asking a stupid question but what law would you be breaking? I couldn't see anything in the proclamation with the exception of night fishing in Linwood Bay. Thanks for the information!
[signature]
Guys go up there with weighted treble hooks and snag them while they are spawning. That would be the illegal part.
[signature]
"here at Bear Lake they are done by November 15th and feeding heavy by November 20th it seems."

When does the whitefish bite come on? Could you fish for both species successfully during one trip there?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks! It rattled me so much marking so many fish and not even getting a bite I got home and bought a go fish cam so I could see what in the heck was going on down there. I pick it up today and can't wait to give it a try. Hopefully I'll get some good video to post. Thanks again!
[signature]
[#0000FF]I'm sure GM will also respond. But from my past experience I can assure you that a lot of both macks and cutts are caught by guys casting for whitefish. The whitefish traditionally start moving in right after Thanksgiving and can be caught through December. The peak time is usually about the first week of December.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]During that time you can have a rod rigged for whitefish and other rods rigged with tube jigs, swim baits, crank baits or spoons. Both cutts and macks swim into water as shallow as 8-10 feet at that time. But casting out into deeper water and reeling back upslope is usually a better game plan for the larger species.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Here is my writeup on the whitefish that includes some more info.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks gmwahl and everyone else for the replies. Looks like you saved me a trip. I really appreciate the fountain of knowledge this board provides. I'll wait and maybe go a bit later if I can stand the weather [Smile]
[signature]
The whitefish bite starts about the 1st of December in ernest and it lasts for about two weeks. While fishing for whitefish it is VERY common to catch multiple Cutthroats and Lake Trout. While the lakers are spawning it would be rare as Hens teeth to catch a whitefish.

Mike
[signature]
The only rule about spawning season is you can only fish from sunrise to sunset.
[signature]
[quote Rizzo27]The only rule about spawning season is you can only fish from sunrise to sunset.[/quote]

So, it’s legal to snag them?
[signature]
Well the fish bite out of aggression or tail whip the lure so yes fish get snagged sometimes. Most fish are hooked in the mouth. Either way it is illegal to harvest them during the spawn. Not sure about the pups since they’re trying to thin them out but those are the rules I understand.
[signature]
Ya, I’m not referring to trying to catch them, I am talking about actively trying to snag them. That’s probably illegal.

But maybe just unethical.
[signature]
It's illegal to harvest a foul hooked or snagged fish, which essentially means a fish that's hooked anywhere other than in the mouth. There are exceptions like certain water bodies, like Bear Lake cisco, and must kill species, like burbot.

Hope that helps, Ryno
[signature]
[quote Rizzo27]Either way it is illegal to harvest them during the spawn.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]No - it is NOT [/size][/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]illegal to harvest them during the spawn. What is illegal is:[/size][/#800000][/font]
[quote 2019 Guidebook]Linwood Bay, west of a line from the easternmost point of the south shore of Linwood Bay (mouth of canyon) to easternmost point of the north shore of
Linwood Bay (Lucerne Point), CLOSED to nighttime angling (sunset to sunrise) from Oct. 15 through 6 a.m. on the second Saturday of December.[/quote]
[quote 2019 Guidebook]You may not take or land a fish by snagging or gaffing, and you may not have a gaff in your possession while fishing.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]It is absolutely LEGAL to fish for Lake Trout during the spawn following all the guidelines listed above and others listed in the Guidebook.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
When the spawn is going, fishing for small lake trout (pups) can actually be pretty good. They will commonly eat their own eggs from the spawn, as indicated by the sheer amounts of lake trout eggs in there stomachs. That's usually right now. Jigs tipped with bait will work, but I've also had success jigging with blade baits and even drop shotting eggs.

I think the fishing gets really good as the fish finish the spawn though, usually right around Thanksgiving. They can still be found and caught while jigging, but I also have a lot of success trolling crankbaits shallow by longlining behind the boat and using planer boards. Crankbaits can vary in size, type and color though. I like Shad Raps, Scatter Raps, Frenzy Divers, etc and have had success on a variety of colors. Silvers and rainbow trout colors will work, but I've also had good success on chartreuse and perch colors. It depends on the year and I just try several color patterns until I hone in on what they want.

Hope that helps and good luck! Ryno
[signature]
Oh nice, I know the situation has changed with the overpopulating pups but wasn’t exactly sure on it. I also know lots of burbot are caught during the spawn too which is another bonus for the fishery. I read an article the other day about a group who say any kind of fishing is unethical due to stress caused to the fish so I guess it’s just how you look at it. I personally enjoy fishing. I’m currently at Bear lake.
[signature]
Went out today on bear lake and did fairly well on the lake trout usually do this time of year not sure why everyone says they wont hit a jig.
[signature]