Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Challenge 2019-2020 interest level
As much as I like to fish I had to give up years ago ice fishing. It won't work with my current health issues and arthritis. However I use to ice fish and enjoyed the company I would meet on the ice cap. I can probably muster in a trip once in a great while but not on a consistent basis. [bobSad]
[signature]
Sitting this one out Jeff. It's getting harder and harder to pull the gear out on the ice. So unless I can get a team of huskies or my grandchildren to tow the sled. I,m going to keep my ice fishing down to 1 or 2 trips up to Mantua this year.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
I can understand that for sure. My FIL loves to fish but his health isn’t real good anymore and it makes it really hard to get him out on the ice. The problem for me is he’s living with us now and he wants to go all the time, but there’s only a few places I can safely take him now days and so if I go without him, I get the beat puppy eyes when I get home. Life isn’t kind, either you have health and no time or time and poor health. Maybe we need to pick a nice warm mid winter day and have a senior ice day on Hyrum and get some of us younger still able types to help everyone get set up for a fun day on the ice. I like swim beach there because it’s one of the easiest ice access spots with good fishing. If you have interest in something like that let me know and maybe we can set it up. Thanks for the tip that way. Jeff
[signature]
I totally understand what you and Bduck are saying. I had to really check my sanity before I signed up again this year. BTW, were you born in 1953? I was. Be 67 in three months. I'm hoping being in the contest will help me get in shape better and offset some of the ravages of time. Besides, I'm just too darn competitive to let it go. Wasn't very "competitive" last year but I learned from my mistakes and hope to get a little higher up the ranks this time. I still want to catch the most species but it looks like several of us have our eyes on the same prize. It seems like you often fish alone and so do I. Maybe we could meet up at Mantua sometime and watch each other's backs.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I think I qualify as a 'younger still able' ice addict. I'm happy to help get gear on and off the ice when needed. Let me know if you get something like this organized
[signature]
Hey John no worries it can be tough duty, been a couple times a few young bucks seen me sweating my guts out and they offered and helped me out. I was sure grateful for their help. Since then I got a season park pass so I can drive down close and I’ve tried to not have to pull the sled up something bigger than I can handle. But I keep thinking I’m younger than I am. Hope it doesn’t get me one day, but if it does I’ll probably go doing what I love to do. Hey what do you think about a senior day at Hyrum? Is that a good idea or not worth wasting our time thinking about? There’s good perch and trout off swim beach so most likely a good spot to get folks into some catching. Probably no trophies, but some tugs for sure and that time of year they eat pretty well. I think we could help get everyone out and set up and if they don’t still have any ice gear I’m sure I could loan some out for the day. Let me know what you think? Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Thank you, I’d love some help if we find interest in doing this. I really enjoy seeing others enjoy what I love. Fun to show them with the camera and finder how the fish behave so they can get onto catching them, or if they already know and just need a shoulder to hold onto so they don’t slip and fall, that works too. We’ll see what we find interest wise. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
I've got extra gear to help with the cause if needed. Offers good for anyone really. Doesn't necessarily need to be for a senior day.
[signature]
Good point, we’ve talked about a demo day but never made it happen yet. The season is always so unpredictable it’s hard to make happen. Be fun if we could pull it off. Let’s work on it. Jeff
[signature]
That sounds great Jeff, I can probably do a trip like that. A small cookfest might be in order for this. [bobWink]
[signature]
Hi Jeff,
Waterfowl season consumes most of my time so I will not be a serious contender but please throw my name in the mix because it sure sounds like a lot of fun!
Thanks, Shane
[signature]
Here is the running list I'm keeping on the "Utah Contests" board of those showing interest. Thanks for joining in on the fun.

SkunkedAgain
Jig-fisher
Justaguywaworm
hookngrinin
ofishal_chris
kentofnsl
T-Boz
2knots
DjHill16
EyLayo
RavenBlackbird
catchinon
MACMAN
ELOC
Cowboypirate
Cookie
killerhook
TopH2O
catslayer
mooseman75
MrShane
[signature]
Hey Shane, glad to have you for whatever time you have. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Good deal glad to hear that it of interest to you. I’m going to see what interest is out there and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Count me in, I should have a few more days off this year to participate.
[signature]
That’s great news!!! Always like more time off especially if you can get some fishing time in. Good luck and hope you can have a fun one. Thanks for joining in with us. Jeff
[signature]
Ron that looks like a group that will make a fun contest. I bet we’ll have a fun season. I’m sure looking forward to it. Hope I get to fish with a lot of y’all during the contest. Good luck everyone. Jeff
[signature]
Count me in, should have more time for trips this year.
[signature]
Jeff, put me on the list.
[signature]
Will do thanks for signing up... Jeff
[signature]