Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Whitefish Run
Thanks Kent, I think I am about ready to make the trip. Now just to wait for good reports and weather.
[signature]
Man it's only a little over a week out, so it could start getting good soon... Plus I'll be the trout show up before the whities do, so it could be getting better soon... Good luck and let us know how you do... Later Jeff
[signature]
That "little over a week" sounds good. I have Wed, Dec 4th off work - if the stars align and we have good weather along with a good fishing report I am on it. If not I will just have to watch and wait. Haven't really fished much since the end of August when we finished with the Kokanee. So I am really ready.
[signature]
Well, I haven't been out for the last week, but one of my buddies has been out almost every day and the last couple of times he's been out he has jigged up a whitefish. They are probably going to be running by thanksgiving this year.

Mike
[signature]
Hey Mike’s report sounds even better, if the weather allows your timing might be perfect. I’m thinking serious about taking a day off that week as well. I may see you there. Later Jeff
[signature]
Mike thanks for the great report... I have lots of family stuff building up to Thanksgiving, but the week after I'm thinking if work isn't too needy I'll take a day off and come visit... I know you're shooting birds one day so I'll probably try a different day when I might run into you and the weather is tame enough to allow a fun trip.. Brookie's 4th might be the best one for me too, if weather allows... Thanks for the update... Jeff
[signature]
Uncle_Arnie,

You have been given a generous amount of very good info here in this thread. If you would like to take a gander at some notes I made to myself a few years back, you can read the attached document on whitefish fishing Bear Lake.

Ya know, even though I am moving to the Pacific North West in just a week or so, I still may make an early trip up there for the whites just one last time before moving.

--- Coot ---
[signature]
Jeff, are you a Rigby?
[signature]
Hey Shane, no I’m a Watterson my folks run Muddy Road Outfitters in Benson. Looks like the season is about to change, got a snow flurry this morning. Hope it doesn’t stick so they can keep some great habitat. Weather report is starting to look like white fish weather this week. Later Jeff
[signature]
I sure would like to try out that BL whitefish activity.
I will watch this post closely and see what I can arrange.
My son and I are competing in the Wyoming 2 Shot goose hunt but it is not until the second week of December so I just might be able to fit a trip in.
You will probably laugh at me but I absolutely hate taking my boat on salted roads so timing of storms/salt is ‘critical’.
[signature]
[quote MrShane]

You will probably laugh at me but I absolutely hate taking my boat on salted roads so timing of storms/salt is ‘critical’.

[/quote]

Be sure to drive through Evanston. I don't think Wyoming ever salts their roads. You may wreck, but at least your boat won't have salt on it.[crazy]
[signature]
When you go the Evanston route, do you drive around to State Park to launch or launch on east side?
[signature]
I think the whitefishing will be right up your alley, however, with the weather today it might be tough finding clear roads for a while... This is one time of year I don't mind having a rough boat, it's not as much to worry about... Good luck on the goose shoot... Later Jeff
[signature]
Shane, you will probably want to see where the fish are biting best... I launch on the west side if I go to the rock pile or fish off the state park... Other wise I launch on the east side.... Usually the East side has better odds of success, but every year is different... Wind sometimes changes my want to fish spot too... If the wind is coming out of the east, then the east side of the lake is usually protected and not much for waves over there, however, they have probably pulled all the docks so you may have to launch without a dock assistance and that isn't easy if the waves come up... Maybe Mike or Scott can let us know if the docks are still in the water? Your boat might be fine to run across the lake okay, and if so the state park on the west side is a lot nicer launch... I just hate running across the lake with my boat that I don't 100% trust... I'd hate to have to use the trolling motor to get back across the lake... Plus wind that time of year really has my respect, it can come up too fast and that's a long ways back in growing waves.... Let's hope you get a nice flat day with lots of hungry white fish and enough macs and cuts to make your day... Later Jeff
[signature]
That's a good looking bluegill, thans for shring. What time of year was it caught?
[signature]
[quote MrShane]

When you go the Evanston route, do you drive around to State Park to launch or launch on east side?

[/quote]

I have done both. Fishing for whitefish seems to have more opportunities on the east side, so I typically launch on that side. Also, should the wind come up it is nice not having to cross Bear Lake to get to my tow rig.

Several years ago, I launched on the west side and boated over to the east side to fish. With my 18 1/2' boat, equipped with a 150 horse power outboard, boating across was fast and no big deal. The wind came up and frankly I was not comfortable crossing Bear Lake in my boat with those giant waves. Thankfully, the outboard ran flawlessly and the bilge pump was doing its job, to pump out the several gallons of water that found its way into the boat, and we made it back safely.
[signature]
Dock at the low water ramp at Cisco beach was pulled out as of Sunday. Caught a few whitefish jigging in 70 feet of water off the pile.
[quote Piscophilic]That's a good looking bluegill, thans for shring. What time of year was it caught?[/quote]

Thanks I turned it into one heck of a fish stick. That was caught 3 weeks ago down in powell
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot]Uncle_Arnie,

You have been given a generous amount of very good info here in this thread. If you would like to take a gander at some notes I made to myself a few years back, you can read the attached document on whitefish fishing Bear Lake.

Ya know, even though I am moving to the Pacific North West in just a week or so, I still may make an early trip up there for the whites just one last time before moving.

--- Coot ---[/quote]

Thank you - I truly am grateful. I will take a few looks at this.

Right now I am planning on the 4th if any one is up there I have a green tracker, if winds are over 4 or 5 mph I will just push a day. See you all around! Thanks again to everyone who has provided information. I can only watch so many Youtube videos before I go crazy.
[signature]
The wife and I are headed up day before thanksgiving and staying 4 days in Hopes of putting some whites in the box. First time up and this forum has been a helpful tool, especially coming up from saratoga springs and reading posts about going thru Evanston vs Logan. With the storm in the works and pulling a boat would not have been fun. Being Minnesota natives we are used to the snow and cold but you never know what to expect.

Thanks for all the tips. See you on the water. Black Lund with a couple labradors trying our luck at a couple days of new experiences and first time at bear lake. Will share how we do throughout the days we are there.
[signature]