Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down South
Beaver River, upper and lower.
I had never been there before, but I am going back for sure.
[signature]
Just curious what you call "upper" and "lower"?
[signature]
I've been meaning to hit the Beaver, but still haven't. I need to next year...on my hit list.
[signature]
Did you intend to add some pictures?
[signature]
I agree with Mr Shane, a couple pics would be great. Did you get a chance to hit the any of the Sevier while down there?
PBH is clearly asking a trick question. The right answer is the Upper is above and the Lower is below the Middle Beaver River. I'm a numbers person so the Middle Beaver is from 1750 to 1900 meters above sea level to keep it simple [laugh].
[signature]
Upper being above the village of Beaver. Up the canyon heading towards Eagle Point ski resort.
It's a bolder pool river up there, lots of pocket water, lots of wood and lots of brush. Very hard fly fishing and to hard wading for this old man. Looked like great rainbow water though.

The lower would be below minersville reservoir heading down to minersville along route 21 to route 130 south. The lower is more of a brown trout water, slower, meandering through pastures with pools on the outside of corners and shallow riffles between some bog boulders (placed by the DWR) and logs for erosion control and habitat. Lots of sand and marl.

The lower is an irrigation river so during irrigation season I imagine it flows much faster than it is now, but at present levels it is very easy wading for us geezers and there are plenty of fish.

It was a sunny afteroon and there were small mayflies and midges hatching. The fish were all over them and once I got my size down to what was hatching I caught lots of fish. My first choice of a #18 purple haze looked like the Queen Mary floating next to the naturals. Finally down to a size 24 CDC BWO I was in the zone.

There are several public access points, WIA number needed. A couple of pavilions with picnic tables and the nicest galvanized fence crossing stairs I have ever seen.

I did not fish the Sevier. I looked at Kents lake and threw some spinners in Little Res but caught nothing there. The camping looks nice though.

The only pics I have are of the 2 that took the hook so deep they started to bleed before I could get the fly out. Never really had fish take a fly that deep before, maybe I was slow on the set. I try not to post dead fish pics, it offends some. Would you rather see them on the tailgate of the truck or on the broiler pan with lemon and pepper?
[signature]
thanks Troll.

It was not a trick question. I just wanted to know if he was fishing below Minersville Res, or if he was referring to the lower as somewhere off the mountain closer to Beaver.

I'd prefer a picture on the tailgate vs. in a broiler pan. I could care less how you prepare them to eat. I prefer to see the fish. Even if it is dead.

thanks for the report.
[signature]
Here you go.
[signature]
Ok, hard to know when you're being serious after posting something about ice fishing on Fish Lake a several weeks ago. But yeah they were catching walleye through the ice there in November[Tongue]
[signature]
Any ice on FL yet?
[signature]
That lower section of the Beaver below Minersville can be loads of fun during the winter months. Some years it boasts quite a large population of wild rainbow trout. I don't know why, but at times the rainbow trout reproduction is fantastic and it fills that stretch of stream with lots of fish. It is a unique opportunity to fish for wild rainbows and large browns at the same time. I will never forget watching a video of my father electrofishing a brown trout from that stretch that was over 10 pounds. Fish over twenty inches are not uncommon...

Here's a pic from a number of years ago:
[signature]
You need to come clean. Southern Utah trout fishing isn't any good and those pics are from the wonderful Provo[Wink].
[signature]
[quote riverdog]You need to come clean. Southern Utah trout fishing isn't any good and those pics are from the wonderful Provo[Wink].[/quote]
Yes those pictures are definitely Provo River FRANKENFISH!
[signature]