Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard still kicking out record perch
Wiperslayer and I hit Willard yesterday to another record day for perch, Ira caught our biggest perch of the year. Numbers have dropped off but there are still some big ones in there. This fish is about an inch smaller than the state record and the pic does it no justice but it was a toad. I hear there are perch being caught that are 1/8 to 1/4" short of the state record. Would be cool if Willard kicked out a new state record this year.[cool]
[signature]
Man that is a hog... Nice job you two... glad you're having good luck... Hope there are still a few around when the ice covers it up, that would be a great fish for the contest... Later Jeff
[signature]
I haven't seen a perch like that since the glory days at Yuba! Maybe not even then.

Great work and thanks for the report.
[signature]
Oh. My. Goodness.

That may alter my weekend plan
[signature]
Congrats Ira! Did you happen to weigh the beast?
[signature]
I just showed that photo to Cookie. She says you bought it - ain't no perchies in Willard like that. Her words, not mine. But she said even a foot of snow Saturday may not stop her from going over to find out.
[signature]
We did not weight it, caught it on the new tube dude stop light flig.
[signature]
Nice catch! Boat is away for the winter or I would try chasing them. You got my mind racing and tempting me to go get the boat out of storage. My luck I would get skunked...lol. again, nice catch!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Just so's ya know...the gates are open on the docks so that anglers have full access. And there have been some good catches by the dock dunkers.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also, in this year of high water there will likely be some great fishing under the ice in the marinas this year...for perch, crappies and catfish. Even a few bluegills and a stray walleye or wiper.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Jeff. We were marking a bunch out in the bay but I think they were smaller perch because we could not get them to bite, once we got in areas where we were marking no fish or few fish that's when we started catching them. Ended up with 8 and two carp, no cats.
[signature]
Thanks, that perch was big for sure, we caught a 12 incher a little while later and it looked so small in comparison, that I thought it was only a 10 incher. [crazy]
[signature]
Tell Cookie we had several witnesses that saw Ira catch it, one guy was even yelling it was a carp because it was fighting so hard. After pinching the tail, like the fishing guide tells you to do when measuring fish, it was 14 and 1/2", the state record is 15 and 1/4 inch, so it was just 3/4" off, from tying the record. The good thing is it is still swimming[Smile].
[signature]
I was just lucking that Ira keeps his boat in his garage because the snow was too deep to get my boat out from my backyard. Using the method we use isn't hard to learn but if you have never used fligs and don't have any of TubeDude's new masterpiece creations, you might be right about getting skunked.[Wink]
[signature]
Gotcha. Hope you keep up your catching trend this year. You're almost sitting on top
[signature]
Snuck up to Cascade didn’t ya!
[signature]
That is good news. I was headed down to Utah Lake Saturday (and may still) to wander a few of the marinas in search of some willing whities, but this option sounds like a better drive in the storm they are predicting.

What shall I do....its a mystery but a fun one
[signature]
LOL, I've never fished Cascade and I'm now thinking, why drive so far when Utah has perch this big.
[signature]
NICE CATCH!! I can't wait to get out there on the ice again this year.
[signature]
Thanks, hope the perch fishing this Winter is as good as it is now, fingers crossed.[Wink]
[signature]
I went up to cascade on a 4 day trip and the only thing I caught was a skunk. My buddies did ok but nothing bigger than this. You need a snow machine or be ready to walk a loooong way to get to the good perch there.
[signature]