Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brought home a new Dog.
After months of saving since last ice season (and a lot of begging and pleading) I just brought home a new SnowDog. I am so stoked to get this bad boy out on the ice and hit some spots my tired legs could never get me to. (and up the the ramp at the end of the day) With most of my hours being spent at work this holiday season the first trip probably won't be until the new year but thinking when the next snow flies I'll have to take it our for a trip or two around the block. Oh and a close second is the new Humminbird ice helix 7. I have to say I'm a lucky guy to have a wife who supports my new ways of spending our money on fishing. Hope to have lots of reports of the new places and catches that I'm hoping this toy will provide.
[signature]
Looks like a lot of fun, congrats and I hope it treats you well... Been hearing lots of positive stories about the dogs, hope they are all they are talked up to be... Good luck... Jeff
[signature]
Thanks Jeff! One of these days we are going to have to hook up and wet a line together. Let me know when you get a chance to go. I'm willing to try new places. We went to Willard and Utah Lake this year. First time we had our boat in either one of those waters.
[signature]
You will love the dog! I bought one last year. They are an absolute blast. Two quick mods on mine and it is awesome. Love it when I go to the Gorge especially.
I expect I'll be down Strawberry way a little later on in the season and maybe we can have a day that works for both of us... Hope so... Keep in touch... Jeff
[signature]
If the weather was more settled, into colder patterns I would have gotten one by now.

Tell me more about how it performs in deeper snow and or slush. Any thing that would describe it for our Utah conditions. What mods did you make on it?

Thanks, Richard
[signature]
The two mods I did were just to add kold kutter screws to the track for better traction on glare ice that is more common at the Gorge. I also added frame mounts for my spud bar and auger.

As far as deep snow and slush, like any other machine, slush sucks!! Although I have not been stuck in slush, I have heard from other owners that the dog is much easier to turn by hand to try to get out at another angle as opposed to an ATV or snowmobile. Deep snow, I can say that if it’s deep, light powder, sure, you could sink.

It is the perfect ice machine for me. Easy to transport with no trailer needed. No registration/insurance required either.

To each their own.
I joined the dog club this year too. Got a chance to run it the last snow storm. I love it and so do my kids. The thing is an absolute beast. We should put together a dog flotilla of sorts and all get together on the berry this year.
[signature]
I would like to see the mount for the auger if you get a chance to post a picture. I really liked your response too. In my research before purchasing the snowdog I saw so many negative posts about it couldn't do this or wouldn't do that. I agree, to each his own. I bought it for what I need it to do.
[signature]
Hmmmmmmmm.......the berry Iditarod I LOVE it. A pack of dogs hunting for fish.
[signature]
That would be a riot! I like Strawberry early ice just to fill the time until ice moves south on the Gorge .
I have had my for four years. Closest dealer was Michigan, where I bought one and had it shipped free out here with a free sled, free handle bar mitts, and free handle bar storage pack. No longer a Snowdog dealer.
Couple of things, stud the track(don’t use snowmobile studs, they will destroy track. I seen a track tore to shreds in Montana.), turn off fuel valve immediately when you turn it over/on its side(you will flip it because you really have to be really careful on slopes) and when you trailer it. I bought an aluminum hitch hauler that has a ramp or tilts to ground to load. I helped a guy last year on I-80 going towards Flaming Gorge reload his damaged Dog that rolled off his hitch ramp. He did not strap it down secure enough. Take your time and make sure your ramp is secured to your hitch and does not wobble.
Flip sled upside down and it fits perfectly over the top of the Dog to haul it. It protects machine from slush and snow when traveling.
It is very difficult to make tight turns in the snow.
Difference between a snowmobile and Dog in slush is that the snowmobile will just get stuck out in slush further!
I imagine you did the reverse model. If not, mistake.
I have had mine in snow so deep that the top of Dog was covered..Bogged down, just stamp out a snow ramp in front of machine and it will walk out!
Do not store with track in contact with floor. Will put a wobble in track because boogies will developer a flat spot.
Have fun.
Any other questions feel free to contact me.
[signature]
How much do they cost?
[signature]
I paid $3200 for my model. Standard series, SB13MER. I think they are around $3900 now.
They have a compact series for around $3000.
I believe there is a dealer now in SLC and Snowdog does have a website.
[signature]
Nice! You will need to let us know how you like it! Sounds fun!
[signature]
Hey I seen one on Henry’s today, they really move. I’m a lot more impressed with them now. I’ll bet you love it. Good luck. Jeff
[signature]
[quote JayWeymouth]I paid $3200 for my model. Standard series, SB13MER. I think they are around $3900 now.
They have a compact series for around $3000.
I believe there is a dealer now in SLC and Snowdog does have a website.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Backwater Performance Systems out of SLC is the local dealer[/size][/#800000][/font] - [url "https://backwaterperformance.com/collections/ice-fishing"]Snowdog[/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]The standard model is $3,370.00 and the compact model is $3,065.00. The sled is with hitch and wear bars is $199.00. The sled folding, rotating seat is $149.99. I don't know if they are a stocking dealer or not. You would have to call them to find out. Used ones are rare in these parts.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Jay, I have a few questions from your post. Hopefully you can help. I’ve been looking for a hitch cargo hauler to transport mine on. What kind did you get and where? Is there a local dealer in the salt lake area? Which screws did you stud your track with? I had read that snowmobiles where bad to store with the track on the floor. They made it sound like it was so water didn’t get trapped and rot the track. I am parking mine on a pallet. You said it would flat spot the bogies. I have no idea what that means. Can you explain and how do you store it without the track contacting the floor? Thanks for the help.

As far as cost goes, I paid full price for everything. I got the standard with reverse, two sleds, two swivel seats, the handle bar bag and a cover. I paid about 5k out the door. Got it at Backwater and had to order everything. Came in about a week later.
[signature]
With Reverse it's $3885 on the website. That pricey especially considering it's Russian made. I wonder if the couple hundred dollars for that little Briggs and Statton engine is for an American made version. Too bad an American Company like Polaris isn't selling something similar yet. Real soft market given the price and simplicity of the machine. Depending on who wins in 2020 these could become more expensive or much harder to obtain.
[signature]
The hitch hauler that I bought after searching around a lot was from Discount Ramps
1-888-651-3431
760 S Indiana Ave
West Bend, Wi 53095
I could not find what I wanted in Utah
The one I bought was the Tilt-A-Rack 500RV-Plus It is all aluminum.
Has worked great on the back of my Tacoma

The studs that I use and I filled the track(about 150) with them are called...Trail Grabber. I bought them from...Bergstrom Skegs Inc.
1158 Power Road
Rockford, Illinois 61115
1-815-654-2950
3/8”. Use super glue,etc on tip as you screw them in.

I used a chain hoist to keep machine off garage floor or you can put it up on a couple of floor jacks.
I was told keeping the track off a solid surface will keep the track and boogie wheels in better and longer lasting shape.
[signature]