Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
K-Drill
Cabelas has their K-Drills marked down 20% if anybody is interested.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product....5285a1cf53
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Google Nero vs k-drill before you buy and watch the video.
[signature]
[quote americanforkdude]Google Nero vs k-drill before you buy and watch the video.[/quote]

I watched video and I can tell you that my k-drill cuts a lot faster than the one in the video. It’s also light as a feather.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
I've never used either. I have used the nils and it is slick. I was going to buy a nils but the salesman at cabelas sold me on the nero now just waiting for a one safe ice.
[signature]
The 6" k-drill is 6.6 lbs the 6" nero has a shipping weight of 4 lbs.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Over the last 10 years, I've owned 2 gas augers, a NILS electric drill model, and now the K-drill. This will be my 3rd season with the K-drill. I will never own another fuel powered ice auger. The NILS was a very good auger and still is. It will drill a hole faster than my K-drill. But I doubt anybody can tell me why drilling a hole in 5 seconds has a realistic advantage over drilling one in 8 to 10 seconds. When did drilling holes in the ice become a contest of speed? Anybody? [cool][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]The control I get with the K-drill center point is excellent. The weight of the K-drill is less than my NILS was. The blades are sharpened free for life but I have to pay to ship them both ways. It cuts effortlessly through ice with little or no downward pressure needed on the drill. I'll pass on the Nero.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I agree Dubob. I don’t get the speed contest either. My kdrill rocks. I’ve not tried the other drill bits, stopped looking since I got the kdrill 3 years ago. I will never own a shaver auger again. I could not keep the blades sharp and tuned. Lost a couple trips because of them. I love the chipper blades, they don’t dull. I’ve not sent my kdrill blades in for sharpening yet and I think it drills like it did day one. Last year I drilled more than 2,000 inches of ice with it.
[signature]
You said it perfectly!
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Yes, Shipping the Nero back to Russia would get expensive even if they sharpened it for free.
[signature]

I have to agree with DuBob , I never knew there was a contest, LOL . BTW I bought the K-Drill from Cabelas it was a good deal.
[signature]
I dont get the contest thing either when it comes to a gas auger. When it comes to my body's physical demand on turning a hand auger the time or effort it takes to get through the ice is a factor. Like I said, I havent owned the k-drill or the nero. Sounds like everyone is happy w the k-drill but I may go the nero route. Saving weight in my sled is turning into a factor. Gas augers are heavy!
[signature]
I love my Nils powered by a Milwaukee Fuel drill. I don't think it's so much about speed as effort. When it wore me out hand-drilling a couple of holes I didn't move around much. Now I can effortlessly drill as many holes as I want and I believe it has definitely upped my game. I am in a contest and the speed (vs. hand) helps me do well. The light weight of the drill vs. powerhead is important, too. I don't think fishing should have to be an endurance contest. I also love my Smitty for the same reason. Someday I may even get a shelter [Wink].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I've always used a Hand Auger , I bought the kdrill and I have a Large DeWalt 1/2 -inch drill to Power it. I'm looking forward to using it this year.
[signature]
I too bought a DeWalt 1/2 -inch drill three years back and have never regretted it. My only regret is the size if the battery, the one I got only had the 2 ah batteries but it came with two so that works fine unless I drill over 45 holes, which I rarely do unless I'm fishing Willard[Wink]. I can usually drill 20 to 25 holes per battery, until the ice gets over 12", then I only get about 15 holes per battery. I've looked into buying two 3ah batteries, that will run me about $100 or two 4ah batteries for $150.
[signature]
I use a Lazer 8" with a milwakee and its amazing.

The K-drill 8" is actually a 7.5" just so people know...
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]I've looked into buying two 3ah batteries, that will run me about $100 or two 4ah batteries for $150.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Have you looked at any of these Curt?[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[url "https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZFCC5P/ref=psdc_552354_t1_B07NZ5SD4X#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div"]Dewalt Replacement options[/url]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Good to know. Welcome to the forum--we love to hear from new members. It looks like you enjoy ice fishing. You ought to join our Ice Fishing Challenge; it's mostly just for fun and bragging rights. Check it out on the Contests board.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I use a 20 amp Dewalt brushless 3 speed drill with a 9AH battery I bought last year and love it, I have used it on multiple trips without recharging it, before I would burn through both of the 2ah battery's every trip.

https://www.ebay.com/p/16017016087?iid=3...gI3kPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCB609-FLE...9789&psc=1
[signature]
Curt don't spend that much on new batteries until you try a Milwaukee drill. I had the DeWalt and it's a great drill, in fact I ended up with two of them, and they are great for working around home, but when it comes to pure torque that Milwaukee is hands down more powerful and for about $50 more than the battery cost, you can get a drill, two 5 amp hour batteries and a charger for the Milwaukee... If you're just turning a 6" drill it doesn't matter, but if you move up to the 8" then it starts to matter.. You're welcome to try mine and see what you think and I have an old laser hand drill that is dull and it still punches holes through thick ice in a hurry.. However, it's not good to let your batteries get cold... I left mine outside at the Henry's trip and it didn't want to drill very bad for me Saturday, in fact nothing wanted to work with cold batteries... Later Jeff
[signature]
Actually the ones I use are the same as obifishkenobi listed. The price quoted was for two batteries but if I can buy one cheaper, than two I might just go that route. As I said, I rarely have a problem unless I'm drilling a lot of holes, looking for fish, so having one extra battery would be all I need. Thanks for the link Bob.
[signature]