Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chilly Willard 12-16-19
[#0000ff]Several times today I harkened back to an old "Hee Haw" question..."Am I silly...or merely foolish?"[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started the day at 5:30 this morning...shoveling about 4" of snow off the walk and driveway so my wife could go out later. "Lake effect" snow. Snow is snow. Ode to snow...How can ya love it if ya gotta shovel it?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched at Willard north marina just before 8 am. Air temp 25. Water temp 36. Air temp made it up to 31 by 2 pm. Water temp about 37. Merely foolish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started perch prospecting in the marina. Very little on sonar and even less on my line. A couple of dock dunkers also admitted to getting no perch love. Noticed a "starter kit" for an ice cap. With the low temps forecast the next few days the beginnings are liable to spread fast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Motored out to the open lake. Another desert on sonar. A few fish here and there...but none with their mouths open. Covered a lot of water and tried depths from 12' to over 20'. Nada, zip, zilch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sometime in late morning the alarm clock rang for a couple of catfish and they volunteered their exercise services. Much appreciated. Fought surprisingly well in the chill water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While heading back inside the marina to hit the ramp about noonish I spied some suspicious marks on sonar. Finally got a few silly (and foolish) perch to join me. And John O. confided that he and his boatmate had scratched out about 15 all inside the harbor. They are still there...just not being foolish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had some cheap entertainment just before I hit the ramp to depart. Heard the sound of revving airplane engine and noticed a small amphibious craft taxiing into the north marina. Wow! He motored up to the ramp then up onto the parking area...where he was quickly joined by a ranger truck with flashing lights. Turns out the guy had a minor mechanical problem and had someone bringing a part. The ranger tried to give him a ticket...claiming amphib planes were not legal there. But the guy had documentation from former State Park rangers who had checked it out and authorized it in the event of emergency. I got all that from the plane owner who came down to chat while waiting for his part. All's well that ends.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sheesh Pat you gave up ice fishin but not the almost ice fishin!!!! glad to see you found a few willing playmates. Good job! Still not sure danglin in cold water is more comfortable than ice fishin and ya still have the chance to slip on the semi frozen ramp.
[signature]
[#0000FF]There were several reasons why I "slipped away" from ice fishing. But it weren't just the cold. Mostly wanted to avoid re-injuring a knee that had suffered from a couple of slips on past ice trips...even with ice cleats. That and the ice fishing on all my fave spots kinda sucks these days compared to days of old.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have the layering "down pat". I was out there all day today with complete comfort. Well...almost complete. I made good use of the hand warmers. But feet and legs stayed warm and cozy with about 3 well-chosen layers.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Yeah, I have slipped on ice while trying to launch in icy shore conditions. So I have eliminated some of my previous ice-breaker type trips in the tube. I'd like to think that I have growed a bit wiser in my advanced years. But then, thinking is above my pay grade.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
How do you manage to keep your feet warm? Seems like four hours is about the max before my feet are completely frozen and begging to thaw out.
[signature]
[#0000FF]After MANY years in a tube...and cold water...I have it boiled down to two factors. First, avoid constriction. Wear fins, waders and booties with enough room to allow your layered tootsies to breathe...and blood to circulate. Second, wear HeatHolder socks. Normally one pair of those will take care of the cold down to the mid forties water temp. But for late and early season...when water temps are under 40...I cheat by adding a first layer of wool beneath the Heat Holders.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Water temp today was 36. I could feel the cold but never enough that it was uncomfortable.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In years past I often wore up to three pairs of socks. But they were usually crammed into fins and boots too small to hold them without constriction. My toes were cramped and went numb.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]In earlier days there were far fewer manufacturers of diving and fishing footwear...with fewer choices for guys with big feet (like me). Today, we got options.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Snow is beautiful ... until you have to move it.

As you perhaps recall, in my former life I spent all day in the snow at high elevations often -40 temps with an additional minus factor windchill on top of that.

Right on with the tootsie circulation as well as good layers - that was a challange when at the same time I had to have snug fitting ski boots. I use Smartwool as a base ( a bit spendy but worth it ) and before Heat Holders were available I used fleece socks that worked for the outer layer. Heat Holders are a nice and comfy option.

One thing that merits mention for floaters is waders that are well maintained - leaks can put a dampener on even quality under layers and cut down on the outing time.

With the right foot gear you should be able to keep traction on any surface - examples below. A mountaineering type ski pole could help with balance as you walk (the real stout kind cuz yer a real stout kind of feller)

BTW Pat, I am still soft water fishing too. Went fly fishing yesterday - had to ski in.
[signature]
"One thing that merits mention for floaters is waders that are well maintained - leaks can put a dampener on even quality under layers and cut down on the outing time."

[#0000FF]Right ye be. See the attached "verse or worse" I put together after just such an experience.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Howsomever, even an accumulation of perspiration can cause the layers to collapse and the loss of air space insulation.[/#0000FF]
[signature]