Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mesquite Pond Report - 02/20/2004 - bring your kids
Me and Powermaker just wanted to get outta town so we went to the new Mesquite Pond to check it out . . .well its in the middle of a small park that dog owners like, a very nice pond to take the kids to, they have it stocked with rainbows right now, might as well catch 'em before it warms up. [center][Image: mes1.jpg][/center] [center] [/center] [center][Image: mes2.jpg][/center] [center] [/center] [center][Image: mes3.jpg][/center] [center] [/center] [left]when we got there it said limit of 3 trout - well they never said anything about that on the ndow website, statewide trout limit is 5 and theres very few exceptions, so i don't know if that is an old sign or what . . but we caught our limit of 3 each and made way back to vegas.[/left] [left]we were fishing at gps co-ordinates:[/left] [left]N 36 47.832'[/left] [left]W 114 4.657'[/left] [left][url "http://www.al.rodngun.com/gps/MapLookup.asp"]http://www.al.rodngun.com/gps/MapLookup.asp[/url] - track gps waypoints here[/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left][Wink][/left] [left]sm[/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left]
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"] There was also a sign that stated "Artificial Baits Only". I'm still trying to figure out if "Power Worms" are concidered artificial. Since the "Power Bait" is concidered to be natural and may not be used. [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"] Anyway had a good time, it was more fun when the people around us found out we drove all the way from Vegas just to fish. We were the talk of the park. [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"] Take care, [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font][/size]
[signature]
yah i forgot i gotta email the guy at ndow about that, it doesnt make sense to put hatchery pets in a kids park and then not let them use bait . .

sm
[signature]
Hey there, Those are some nice trout. What did you catch them on? It also looks like it's a great pond!
[signature]
Artificial pond and limit of three sounds nice. If they got it posted and it's a new pond you might want to be carefull.

Artificial means no scents or bait. Basically if it's not scented plastic your okay or anything metal and made of feathers. Fish cops don't think twice about giving wildlife violations but you can get away with almost everything for civil offenses. They don't seem to want to give tickets for that stuff.

Hey guys you heard of any good fishing at Mead or Mohave lately? I've got spring break coming up and thinking of catching some sun. Maybe I'll do some fly fishing at Lee's Ferry or hit Powell.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Some were caught on a yellow Panther Martin with a gold blade, don't recall the size because it fell victim to the concrete bottom. One I picked up on a yellow jig, I think curiosity got the worsed of him. I tried a blue spinner but obviously someone tried to fool them earlier with blue, no takers. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Take care, [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans Ms"] Hello hedgesd, [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans Ms"] Do I hear (read) you right, scent can't be used? Artificial or natural bait, spray scent is not allowed. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans Ms"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
lets wait to hear from the nevada ndow on what exactly is allowed . . . hedgesd quoted you-taw rules, lets see what our boys say . . hoepfully there not as screwed up as utah's rules are . . .

sm

ps i guess they need a different descriptive word for it, when you buy something in the store in a jar that never was alive, and its not considered artificial . .
[signature]
Hey southernman, Nice looking lake and good looking fish as well. I remember back over Thanksgiving weekend when I went to TubeDudes place in AZ. People thought that my son and I were strange to come all the way from Cali to go fishing in their little town lake.

We had a blast and were catching more fish than the locals. They were all using powerbait and we were banging on white rooster tails.
[signature]
Here's the email response I received very promptly from the nevada dept of wildlife:

====================================================== [size 2]Dear Tony:[/size] [size 2]Thanks for the e-mail. There seems to be some confusion with the new Mesquite pond, but that will be straightened out at the Nevada Wildlife Commission meeting on March 12 in Reno. The Commission will establish the limits and regulations at that time. They will be discussing limits and regulations that will be the same as the other urban ponds in Clark County (Floyd Lamb State Park, Lorenzi Park, Sunset Park in Las Vegas and Veterans Memorial Park in Boulder City). The limits are proposed to be three game fish. Artificial lures are not required in the Clark County urban ponds. Until adopted, just stick with the general limits and general regulations for the Southern Region as listed in the 2004-05 Fishing Seasons and Regulations booklet, beginning on page 30. Hope this answers your questions and thanks again for taking the time to contact us.[/size] [size 2]Geoff Schneider[/size] [size 2]NDOW, Las Vegas[/size] [size 2][/size] [size 2]===============================================[/size] [size 2][/size] [size 2][/size] [font "Arial"][size 2]so that settles it for now . . .[/size][/font] [font "Arial"][size 2][/size][/font] [font "Arial"][size 2]sm[/size][/font]
[signature]