Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clearwater/Panhandle Idaho Ice Fishing
Hello All,

This is my first time posting in a forum like this. Back here in Minnesota I've been ice fishing for the better part of 30 years, which has led to the connections and experience, to not require going to outside sources for information. 

With that being said, I am swallowing my pride and asking for some help here.

I am planning a road trip with a fishing buddy for mid march. We are going to stop in Big Sky MT to do some skiing, then head to the west coast for some pacific ocean fishing and golfing. On the way, we will be driving through the panhandle of Idaho on I90.

The idea hit us that maybe we could stop in and do some ice fishing for a couple days.

From what I have seen so far, it seems like the lowland lakes are VERY questionable that time of year (specifically 3/13-3/15). I haven't really been able to get an answer on the high mountain lakes from any of the bait stores in the area.

I understand that ice conditions vary from year to year, but back here in Minnesota, on 3/15, you can bet with 100% certainty you can walk out on most lakes, even find 16"+ of ice, just depending on how far north you are willing to drive.

So I am looking for assistance. I can scour the forum boards for tactics, presentations, baits etc. But with the many hours of research behind me already, I have reached a dead end in deciding on which lake/area to target.

So here's what I am looking for:

Within 2 hours of the I90 corridor
trout species present (not picky on exact species, just looking to add a few species to my list that I cant get back home)
vehicle accessible (an hour hike would be fine, but we are certainly not mountain climbers. four wheel drive F-350)
IDEALLY HIGH MOUNTAIN LAKE

I understand I might need to pick one or the other when it comes to vehicle accessible and high mountain lake, but poking around on the IFG website I found Hoodoo Lake and Little Bayhorse lake that look like they are at some high elevations with scenic views and a cool drive, but they are a bit too far from the I-90 corridor.

Now, 2 hours from the I-90 corridor is not a must. I can change the route if you have a gem on the south side of the state, I am just assuming that the further north you go, the better odds of finding fishable ice around 3/15.

Also, I wanted to add, since if it were me reading this post I would chuckle and say "do your own field work", I am not looking to keep any fish. I am not going to post any recommendations or any fish I catch to social media.

It has always been a dream of mine to catch trout through the ice in the shadow of a picturesque mountain scene. Absolutely any assistance in locating this scene is greatly appreciated.

One more note, I would really like to do this trip self guided, but if you have any ice fishing guides to recommend in the area, send them my way.