Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee Fishing Jigging Jaw Jackers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVmqWZMjSNQ

I checked with a Conservation Officer who said it is legal to use dummy flashers ice fishing as long as no hook attached to the line.

This was my first ever successful ice fishing adventure for Kokanee Salmon fishing at Monte Lake. The lake is frozen quite well now and there are fish out there suspended below the ice waiting to find your lure. On my rod I used a Gibbs Gator Spoon flasher, 14 inches of four pound fluorocarbon leader tied to a Backcountry tackle 5 mm Pink Quick Flicker Tungsten Jig. I tipped the jig with half a meal worm. While many other people on the ice were not having much luck, I was able to pull my limit quickly using this method. A must have for better success in a Flasher Sonar like my Marcum or any other type of fish finder device. This will help you see where the fish are in the water column. You can use this advantage to present your lure in the right location. It also helps you get ready for a bite when you see the fish swimming towards your lure.
[signature]
Nice video, this conversation comes up every few years about using a flasher to draw the kokes in and keep them there as you are catching them just like you did in your video. Most of our lakes around here only allow us to keep 4 of those tasty fish but we have one lake where we can keep 12, problem is they are small there. Those bigger ones you caught look pretty nice. What length were the ones you were catching there?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Nice video, this conversation comes up every few years about using a flasher to draw the kokes in and keep them there as you are catching them just like you did in your video. Most of our lakes around here only allow us to keep 4 of those tasty fish but we have one lake where we can keep 12, problem is they are small there. Those bigger ones you caught look pretty nice. What length were the ones you were catching there?[/quote]

The limit here is 5. The ones I caught ranged from 14 to 18 inches. There are even bigger ones in the lake. Probably some over 20 inches I would guess because they stock triploids so they don't spawn and end up living 6 to 7 years if not caught.
[signature]
I knew they stocked triploid rainbows but I had not heard of triploid Kokes, cool. Not sure how large this lake is that you were fishing but here is Utah only our largest lakes, like Flaming Gorge or Strawberry produce kokes over 18", in our smaller lakes they rarely grow larger than 13 or 14".
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]I knew they stocked triploid rainbows but I had not heard of triploid Kokes, cool. Not sure how large this lake is that you were fishing but here is Utah only our largest lakes, like Flaming Gorge or Strawberry produce kokes over 18", in our smaller lakes they rarely grow larger than 13 or 14".[/quote]

This lake isn't that big, pretty small compared to those you mentioned. You can Google it. Monte Lake British Columbia, just north of Vernon BC.

Lots of feed probably and the triploids grow faster. Man if they stocked triploid kokes in Flaming Gorge they would get to be giants. Might see 10 plus pounders commonly.
[signature]
The two I mentioned are our biggest lakes for Kokanee, two of my closest lakes are much smaller, only 142 acres and 190 acres. I noticed the one you were fishing at was 435 acres in size, it would be interesting to see how those kokes would do in smaller lakes.
[signature]