Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Resolutions State of Utah should make:
First, allow filleting of Kokanee salmon at Strawberry Reservoir.

Second, allow use of live bait in water where harvested.
[signature]
Got my vote on both of those Resolutions.
[signature]
I totally agree. Been hoping for the live bait thing forever. I also feel like if they could find a neutral bait fish like suckers or whitefish that it would be completely harmless since they have such a small mouth for feeding when they mature.
[signature]
Doubt the live bait deal will ever happen. The state spends so much time and money on removing rough fish like chubs and carp that they are not going to allow the introduction of minnow species to any of the state's waters. In most waters the only option for live bait would be the young of the year of gamefish, ie: Echo: young perch, SMB, etc. That ain't going to happen. Live bait also presents some problems with disease being introduced to the fishery. Even back east where the bait business is huge, they have strict controls and procedures for the culture and distribution of live bait. Been doining this for a long time and I don't see Utah making the switch any time soon. It would be nice in some cases, but it ain't going to happen !!!!
Hey if this is a wish list I want to add my wish to the list... Ability to use 5 ice rods on Cutler reservoir for ice fishing... I am struggling to find any fish on Cutler this winter and maybe if I could have five different spots and options fishing at the same time, I might catch one fish... Just my hopes coming into a new year... Later Jeff
[signature]
I can do a wish list. Might upset a few. But, no bait at all! Artificial flies and lures only. Cut down on all the snailed hooks I pull out of fish, less trash for sure. I fish 4 days a week and have no issues catching 50+ regular. Wishes where fishes, we would all have a fry.
[signature]
While catching up on my email inbox today, I received a survey for fishing management at Strawberry from the Dwr. It had several questions about bag limits, size expectations, fishing success, etc. It also had a write in section towards the end for any other suggestions. Sounds like you might already know people in higher places. But if not, might be a good way to start the conversation of allowing salmon to be filleted onsite.
[signature]
Not all are master fishermen and none start out that way, so bait is a good option for those learning and the rest of us that need a sweetner to increase our catch... Without bait, I'm sure my numbers would be lower... Although there are times when I fish without bait and do well, it's not all times... Yes I'm not a fly elitist, but I dabble at times and have fun, but there are other ways to catch fish that I enjoy that don't require wading in icy waters.. and my only pure bait soaking involves catfish, the rest is just adding some taste to my jigs to help entice the strike... So I guess I'm one that isn't in favor of that suggestion, but like you said everyone to their own preference, but don't take away others bait option from more than they have already taken... There are areas that are artificial only, so you can fish those areas and I'll fish my areas... Good balance and fair trade... Later Jeff
[signature]
Nets,spears, and pitchforks on the Provo and Green.
Let’s do it!
[signature]
Just don't bait them you'll be legal.
[signature]
I second the artificial only (except for the Bear River)[Wink] Sure would cut down on the trash, like you said.
Power Bait would probably go out of business though. Beer sales would plummet also...

Hopes and dreams...........
[signature]
I do agree it would be nice to filet fish at the lake. I'm sure there is a good reason for that, just not sure what that is. Maybe DWR could chime in?
[signature]
Instead of artificial only how about requiring any fish caught be harvested. Almost any trout caught especially trout fought for any length of time dies after released regardless if lipped and not taken out of water. As far as trash goes they should raise the minimum fine to 5,000 dollars and 40 hours of mandatory garbage collecting for intentional littering especially along waterways.
[signature]
I agree, every fish hooked must be kept up to legal limit. No catch and release especially on perch and crappie during ice fishing. All those perch with bladders popping out and eyeballs popping out aren't going to survive, no need to catch and release thousands of them to float to their stroke induced deaths. At least keep and eat the poor suckers. This kind of catch and release is like wanton destruction I think. People don't have to hook every fish in the lake to be heroes. Or put a numerical limit on catch and release, like applying keep limits to catch and release. No more than 4 trout, etc.

I don't agree with artificial only, that is an elitist ideology in my opinion. I would never purchase another fishing license and never go fishing again if artificial only is implemented.
[signature]
How about allowing fish donation in the field? Or when you have quit fishing for the day and have reached your vehicle? Or in town?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Doubt the live bait deal will ever happen. The state spends so much time and money on removing rough fish like chubs and carp that they are not going to allow the introduction of minnow species to any of the state's waters. In most waters the only option for live bait would be the young of the year of gamefish, ie: Echo: young perch, SMB, etc. That ain't going to happen. Live bait also presents some problems with disease being introduced to the fishery. Even back east where the bait business is huge, they have strict controls and procedures for the culture and distribution of live bait. Been doining this for a long time and I don't see Utah making the switch any time soon. It would be nice in some cases, but it ain't going to happen !!!!

You're probably right, but let me qualify. He is advocating the use of baitfish caught within the waters where they will be fished. Examples:

You throw out a trap by the ramp at Electric Lake and catch some redside shiners. Fishing them live won't introduce a new species.

You trap some chubs at Scofield and use them there.

Ditto for carp and white bass at Utah Lake.

Perch anywhere they are already resident.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I agree this is a problem. I don't agree they ALL die, and there are ways to make it so they don't. I absolutely REFUSE to keep every single 4" bluegill I catch at Mantua in the Spring, though. Same with every white bass.

We could all both spread the word AND get some education. PV perch coming up hard from 30 feet is different entirely from 50 feet. Adult lake trout horsed to the surface from the deep depths, that almost certainly kills most of them. However, I've seen large saltwater fish coming up from a hundred, or more, feet deep released by knowledgeable captains and crews, and I have recently l tried to adopt some of their methods.

I won't lose much sleep in waters where certain species are over populated and stunted, although taking them home to eat is definitely a MUCH better option and should be practiced and encouraged. Learning to process 8" perch isn't that hard with Youtube around.

I now have one of those ice fishing "depth-finders", (the 2 oz.-plus weights with the clip, 98 cents at Walmart) attached to the line on a spare rod. I tied a big, long-shank Aberdeen-style hook above that such that the point points DOWN, and the line ties conjugal to the shank. Visualize the point of the hook points DOWN. I mashed the barb with pliers, too.

If you are in water shallow enough, just toss em back. If you are in water deep enough to matter, hook that rig in their lower jaw, and drop the sinker down the hole. If you are SO deep that they come up shell shocked, with bulging eyes and tonic muscles, absolutely, take them home.
[signature]
Forgive my ignorance, but why is this an issue? Do they not allow it, even at the processing stations? Is it just to prove it isn't a cutt?

I don't even know how to go about catching a koke, so I don't even know the rule or the rationale.
[signature]
Not all die I said most trout. A study was done in Big Hole River in Montana and the conclusion was that approximately 80 plus percent of trout released die even if they swim away strongly and are lipped by a barbless hook. So in that sense deep water fish and all trout should be kept.
[signature]
[quote Lipnrip]Not all die I said most trout. A study was done in Big Hole River in Montana and the conclusion was that approximately 80 plus percent of trout released die even if they swim away strongly and are lipped by a barbless hook. So in that sense deep water fish and all trout should be kept.[/quote]

Do you happen to have a link or citation to that particular study?
[signature]