Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Court.....
Well that's kind of what I figured would happen. I could not understand how they could do so many people at one time, now I know, they are just putting it off for a later date. At least you only paid $75, instead of the $100 they told me it would cost.
[signature]
Thanks for the info on the parking tickets and what good it is to fight it i new there was a good reason not to stop and fish there anyway hope you at least got into some fish quite an expensive trip
[signature]
This might be a good thing to reach out and let KSL know what happened.
[signature]
I wrote KSL back. Told them I would give them an update after I went up there. Can’t wait to see what they dig out.
[signature]
WHAT A JOKE! I’m happy to see you wrote KSL. As I was reading your post I was hoping a news outlet would pick this up. Maybe reach out to Get Gephardt at KUTV?
[signature]
[quote sliverslinger]

Maybe reach out to Get Gephardt at KUTV?[/quote]
There is no longer a "Get Gephardt" on KUTV:

[url "https://gephardtdaily.com/entertainment/matt-gephardt-leaves-kutv/"]Link[/url]
[signature]
In hindsight, I'd have rather not caught those two dozen fish, if I had known about the chance of receiving a ticket[Sad]. At this point, I'm not sure fighting this ticket will be worth it but I'm going through with the fight and hope for the best but I'll expect the worst.
[signature]
KSL called me back today and said they talked to Brigham city about what mantua said, telling them to start issuing tickets for parking on the dike, Brigham city said they did not tell them to issue tickets. That is likely why they changed to charge on the ticket. KSL said they still have not talked to Mantua city about this but KSL did say the segment on this investigation with air on Jan 20th on the 10 pm news.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Curt,[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]It, of course, is your decision. I would be inclined to fight it. For your further education on making a decision, please take a look at this link and follow the links you find there.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[url "https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/beat-ticket-book/chapter1-1.html"][size 3]Should You Fight Your Traffic Ticket?[/size][/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]It's very possible (maybe even probable) you could beat this with the confusing signs that say "No Parking" and 'No Parking Between the Arrows". And the KSL team should be of some help here as they will complete their investigation before a court date several month's down the road. Good luck my friend.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Shoot! That is too bad. Thanks for the info Kent.
[signature]
Good luck hope things work out its just not right to charge that much for improper parking just to get out to injoy the day when the the sings are look like you are in the right anyway
[signature]
Not to criticize, but I think it is important to understand how the judicial system works. Sometimes the wheels grind very slowly. When you go in and plead not guilty they will set a trial date. This is just the way it is done; they aren't picking on anyone or trying to make it hard. Then if you lose, you may appeal so that you don't get automatically homered without recourse. I guess it's important to decide if you're doing it on principle or if you just want to beat the ticket. But don't forget that it may cost you more to make your point than just paying it. And yes, I have driven all the way down to Kanab to fight a ticket just to find that the charge had been changed. They did give me the use of their law library and some time to try to come up with a new defense, but all to naught. You should probably never try to fight "Speed too fast for conditions" in a small town because the district attorney and the judge are probably buddies and have complete discretion to decide what "too fast" means. But I digress. Somebody has to fight it in order to make a point and I think we all appreciate those who do. Good luck and may the right prevail.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Have you ever heard the phrase “you can’t fight city hall”? I ain’t wasting a valuable day of my life driving to mantua or kanab to fight a $100 ticket that your odds are short you will win.I have gotten away with some stuff and I have also been wronged by the “MAN” it evens out.The judge ain’t going to make the cop look wrong in front of people.Move on is my advice,cost of doing business.
[signature]
Hey Curt there’s enough of you that got tickets and with the confusion and new regs, I think you ought to band together and hire a good lawyer and go in and beat that kangaroo court. You should win, but alone it will cost too much to do, but with 20 of you, your cost will be less than the ticket. I just hate to see injustice and I’d love to see them beat at their deceitful practice. Now you’ll have to appeal it out of the Mantua courts because boss hog and the judge are brothers so you won’t get justice till you get to district court. Probably not worth it, but it should be done. I had a similar situation in Smithfield and fought it myself and lost and they increased my fine because I stood up to their injustice. Good luck. Jeff
[signature]
if this ever posts on the KSL website please post a link for those of us outside of the state
[signature]
My son just this last summer got cited for parking in a handicap stall after he launched his boat. This happened in another state, his fine was $350. He took pictures of the parking stall after he pulled out and as pics indicated it was not clearly marked as handicap. The painted symbol that's usually in the stall was worn completely off and the only marking there was a faded blue curb on one side. Also he was able to take 2 other pics of other vehicles parked in the same stall without appropriate placards or license plates displayed getting citations. At his only court date which the citation has that date he made his appearance and made his plea of not guilty. He presented his findings and the judge dismissed his fine as the handicap stall was not clearly marked.

Unfortunately this judge that's handling the Mantua cases makes you come back for what I see is his trial based on your plea instead of hearing the cases that brings you there in the first place. My advice would be to take pictures of the signs and any other findings such as other vehicles parked. This is the old CYA situation.
Good Luck!!!

[signature]
Geeeezzz !!!! I'm glad I popped in and read this thread. It was bad enough when Mantua Barney was "speed trapping" folks coming in off the highway, now it seems Mantua is using confusing and down right unfair practices to fill their city coffers.

I think I am just going to put Mantua on my "I'll pass" list. Leave that little pond to the power squadrons. It's a bit further drive, but I have better catching luck and more peaceful fishin up at Benson.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
There is a judicial review board that handles complaints about judges and courts. It is a state board, but you should be able to find it on the state website. I would band together and make a complaint to the board, documenting how they changed the charges in court, bad signage, etc. The guy at the court in Mantua is either a Justice of the Peace or a Municiple Court Judge and their powers are very specific and limited. This crap at Mantua has gone on to long, I refuse to fish there because of all the garbage you have to put up with. Same reason I don't bother with Strawberry or Pineview, to much politics and inconsistent rules.
Thanks for the link Bob, I'll read it before I make my decision but from what a lot of members are saying, the local judge could have his mind made up already and if he finds me guilty, it could cost even more money, than if I plead guilty. Of course I could appeal it to a higher judge, if found guilty by the first judge and drag this out even longer but I'm not sure if it's worth all the hassle at that point[:/].
[signature]
Thanks, the signs are very misleading that's for sure but that could have been the plan all along.[:|]
[signature]