Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Showdown 5.6?
I could be wrong but I think that is the same one that TubeDude had when he was still ice fishing. I have the cheaper Troller model 2.0
[signature]
[fishon]We have a Marcum Showdown - about 4 years old now. Not a 5.6 it's an older model, but looks just like the 5.6.

It seemed like it worked well the first year, but it is not user friendly. I have replaced the battery. I have replaced the fuse.

The design is poor - so you have to pull out the entire finder out of the bag just to find the cord to recharge it. The case is just a bag so that sits just on the ice. After a couple of hours of the battery sitting directly on ice it loses energy. Doesn't matter new or old... cold sucks energy out of batteries. So it needs to be up off of the ice to get all day use. And you have to have a good full charge to get it to work.

The features and buttons aren't user friendly - I am always pushing them trying to find where I am at on the ice.

I do not like it. I do not like it one bit. I do not like it not at all.

Good price because the guy wants a better one.

Lip Rippin Rino has I real nice one easy to use. That's the one all the kids like using. [fishon]

Rob
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yes. I used that Showdown for the last 3 or 4 years I still drilled and chilled. Not as good for playing "video games" as some of the higher end models on the market today, but suited me fine. I liked the simple black and white vertical column display, with real time readings of fish and your jigs.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]What I really liked was the shoot-through-ice transducer. If you are on relatively clean ice you can move along, looking as you go...for depth and fish. Just dribble some warm water from an insulated water bottle, set the 'ducer on the puddle and you instantly see the depth and any "targets" down there. There were times on Starvation when I had to cover several acres of ice before I finally found fish. And once I found them it was game on. But without searching them out I could have waited hours for the fish to find me...or not.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I gotta mess with everything. So I did away with the bag the Showdown came in and rigged up a separate bag to allow "run and gun" prospecting while the sonar was still in the sled...and then to hold the display up higher for better view when fishing. I wrapped the display in foam, for insulation and put the battery and everything all in one bag. See pics. Worked great.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I love my showdown 5.6. Had it for 3 years. Very simple to use. Everybody likes the vertical display. I paid $399 for mine but I have seen them on sale for$349.

They have been discontinued from the manufacture. They still make the 2.0 according to an email my dad received from Marcum. He was looking in to buying one but could not find any in stores locally.
[signature]
I would buy NEW,check ebay to get a idea of price.
[signature]
I've had my Showdown for about 8 years and I've never had a problem and I love it. It's very straightforward and easy to read. I have replaced three batteries but they are only around $18.00 for a 9Ah.
I made a PVC stand for mine ala TD and it works to keep the unit up at nearly eye level so I don't have to look down at it. It's also off the hard neck and doesn't get snow and ice on it.
If you buy a used one, make sure you inspect it thoroughly and insure that all functions work properly. It might be difficult to check one out if you're not out on the water.

I thought you looked at mine when we were at Strawberry late last ice season. Several in my group have the Showdown and we all agree it's the way to go.
Remember, "Flashers" can cause Whirling disease. [Wink]
[signature]
A buddy of mine has one and he absolutely loves it. He really likes the "shoot thru the ice transducer." We used it up at Rockport and it seemed user friendly, he was able to see his jig and the fish easily. It seems more compact than my flasher, due to the fact that it's vertical.
[signature]
"If you buy a used one, make sure you inspect it thoroughly and insure that all functions work properly. It might be difficult to check one out if you're not out on the water."

Understood. How would I go about doing that? Ideally the seller would go to a lake with me and demonstrate it. Otherwise I might work it out with him to take and try it. Any other ideas? I appreciate your experience and insight.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I would ask the seller if you could meet him somewhere with safe ice and check out the unit thoroughly. Short of that, I would be a little cautious of buying a used unit.

If the Showdown powers up and shuts off correctly that's a good indication that it is working properly. There is a simulator mode that will show all of the screen details but a "real world" field trial would be best.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you. We'll have to meet somewhere again this season for some face and fish time.

Mike
[signature]
I had the marcum showdown troller for several years and liked it a lot. I had heard several war stories about how they had a bad habit of dying randomly and all of a sudden going wonky. Well....it happened to me this year. Out the blue, it died. Likes: portable, easy to use, had a nice case and didn’t eat batteries. Cons: random glitches, planned obsolescence and limited functionality.
So after it died, I dropped 100$ on a garmin striker 4 and can’t believe how much more I like the new garmin and it’s functionality. It has a gps, flasher function and regular real time sonar view. I’ve used it twice and have absolutely loved it. Years ago before my marcum I had the old fishing buddy that came with a long pole you stick down the hole and fish. Ice fishing sonars have come a loooong way since then and I’m really happy with this purchase. You can get a whole kit with bag and battery for about 160$ brand new. A used marcum showdown may have limited life left in it, even if it works well now. I’d go this way again if I were in your shoes, knowing what I know now. Good luck.
[signature]
I'd love to hook up sometime. I want to hit Joe's Valley sometime and I suspect you could teach me a thing or two about Starvation fishing, too.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Sounds like a plan in the making.

Mike
[signature]
I've had my Marcum Showdown 5.6, now into my 4th season, with great success and no problemoe....Like I've always said (and Others) no gettting dizzy looking at circles....top of the display is top of the water column, and bottom of the display is bottom of the water....what shows between is fish, or your lures going up or down ...or even a discarded waxworm....So Yes, I like mine....simply re-charge my unit every time I get home, and ready to go....THAT SAID.....I did have the (newest when it came out) Dual Beam Showdown before this one and I did have to send it back to the manufacturer for issues, for full credit for the one I now have....I think anyone that has one currently, and it's working like it should, and is still an ice fisher, probably wouldn't be so willing to give it up....especially if they in fact aren't making them any more....MY ADVICE...find out why they are selling it, use it before paying, maybe offer less (mine was $379) and get this one, or another if you can find one fairly new...your eyes would enjoy the simplicity....Guluk...
[signature]
Not trying to rain on the show, but I think any ice ducer will shoot thru the ice. Least wise all my Vex's do. Just pour some water on the ice to make a connection and set the ice ducer on it.
[signature]
Craig, if you are interested, I have a Vexlar FL12 I am going to sell.

rj
[signature]
I bought a hummingbird ice 55 this year. My first Flasher. For just over 300. Investment has paid for itself in fish. I have never caught so many fish ice fishing and have not been skunked yet. Knock on wood. I highly recommend it. Has a large screen. Backlighting. 6 colors with 3 color palettes. A protective case. Easy access to battery for charging. Fits perfectly in and on a 5 gallon bucket. I have run my flasher for 18 hours and still was over 50%. Just a suggestion.
[signature]