Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gorge..... ???
I'm hoping to make it to the Gorge before ice out again..... Deal is,, I mainly hunt Mack's at Fish lake but a good pal sent me a few jigs I'd like to give a shot at the Gorge.. Other than trolling for Mack's at the Gorge many moons ago (without much to show for it) I havent fished the lake to much.. I would welcome any good advice as to were to go, ice condition's, depth to search,, and a general location to fish.. I'm not looking for your special spots or secrets,, only a couple days of fun at the Gorge.. Btw,, if you see the "Coldfooter's Hilton" (you know it when you see it),, swing in and say hi.. There's usually hot coffee close by.. If not,, we can put it on........... Thanks in advance..

Coldfooter
[signature]
There is an article on Utah Outdoors.com by Bill Furniss that is very good. [url "http://utahoutdoors.com/pages/lake_trout_tips.htm"]http://utahoutdoors.com/pages/lake_trout_tips.htm[/url]

Also check out the Flaming Gorge report archives on this site. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=95"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=95[/url];

Both are very informative and have increased my mack catch rate. However, I'm still in search of the elusive 30+ pounder!
i saw the coldfooter hilton last trip to fish lake and it is one sweet setup for icefishing. as far as the gorge goes i have no idea i have never been anywhere close to it. sorry i can't help.
[signature]
Ruger; Thanks for the links... This old redneck can always use good advice when it comes to Flaming Gorge..

Hey Fish4Fish,, you should have stopped by and said hello.. Btw,, thanks for your comments about the Coldfooter's Hilton.. Addition's are already in the planning stage for more sleeping quarters,, and,, I was told the kitchen isnt large enough and to work on the plumbing situation[Wink]
[signature]
Ok, I'm intrigued. Got any pictures of the Hilton?
[signature]
When i saw it i was fishing with pikeman on feb 21st i was the one who was fileting the fish and who gave you the sticker. i liked how easy it all went down into the boxes and from what i could see you couls secure the boxes so you didnt have to worry about people getting into them.
[signature]
Hey ruger

nice link, good information in that article. November 10th my son and I were up to the George I landed a 37" monster (jigging). I would have to agree about it being as exciting as big game hunting.

jrs4x4
I haven't been up in about two months and my intel tells me fishing is generally slow. Anvil and the Big Bend area seem to be the best. I have heard of 2 big ones (40+#) coming out of those areas this year, but have not seen them. The humps in Linwood were slow last time we were up with only a few fish caught the biggest 17#s. We are going up Thur-Sun to try for some bigger ones. The plan so far is to try the submerged island just south of the pipeline or the rock ledge off the north side of swim on Thursday. We won't be up until about noon on Thursday and will probably launch out of the Marina at Lucerne. Let you know how we did come Sunday night.

IFG
I would love to hide away in your tackle box. That sounds like a [#ff8040]super[/#ff8040][#0c0c0c] trip. Do you use ATV or SLEDS? Well good luck, Give us a full report when you return. My son is leaving to go to South America for 2 years April 7th I'd love to try to get up one more time before he leaves.[/#0c0c0c]

[#0c0c0c]BBBBBBSafe[/#0c0c0c]

[#0c0c0c]jrs4x4[/#0c0c0c]
I have a sled and my fishing partner has a sled, my son has an ATV. ATVs work but I much prefer the sleds. They are faster and travel better than ATVs when there is a lot of snow on the ice. They also don't sink through the frozen crust as bad as ATVs. It is almost mandatory to fish the Gorge. You can do it walking, but you just can't fish near as many spots without transpotartion. 6 weeks ago you could drive into most places on the shore and walk, not sure how the access is with all the snow this weekend.

I assume your son is going on a mission? Tell him good luck.

IFG
[cool]Thanks guys; but don't thank me. I don't want to give the impression that I found those links on my own. I was actually directed to it by someone here at BFT a few months back. I simply remembered printing it off last summer and found it in my stack o' stuff then copied the link. I hardly get out enough to be much more than a novice at the gorge.
[size 2]mateo; I'll see what I can do about posting a pic of the hut...

fish4fish; OH,, OK ,, gotcha.. Thanks for the sticker! How long did you guys stick it out after I left?? Any Mack's? Like I said,, I only rolled a small one.. Yeah the hut works out fairly well that way and its fairly roomy/comfortable inside..

IFG.. Thanks! A good recent report will sure help! And as far as only gettin' a 17#,, I'd be happy with that this year and next! LOL!!!

Ruger,, any good link and advice comes in handy on water as large as the Gorge.. I've heard it said "Mack's are Mack's are Mack's and the basics are usually about the same". While thats probably true,, a newbie on water as big as the Gorge can get lost in frustration... Any lil bit of help may save the trip. Again,, Thanks[/size]
[signature]
If I could somehow manage to "show up" out there Saturday, do you think I could hitch a ride out with one of you? I don't know that I can make it, but I'd sure like to. I have all I need except a sled or wheeler. All I pack is a hunting chair that I added a pole holder to and an 8" hand auger. I would really enjoy getting some time on the hard water with not only someone that knows what they are doing on the Gorge, but is the GOD of all ice fishing. How else am I going to beat the fluke 34" 17.5 lb. I got through the ice a Fish Lake a number of years ago?

If I can make it up, I'll have my radio on channel 12.
[signature]
Curtisfish;

My plan is (at this time) to spend the 13th through the 15th hunting Mack,, and hopefully,, the last couple of hours of the afternoon of the 12th huntin' cut bait.. I will spend at least one entire night working the ice so I could be anywhere from Squaw hollow to Sheep creek.. No radio here but if you can meet me the morning of the 13th at some given point and perset time I'd be happy to haul you and your gear out Saturday moring.. Of corse expect to be pumped for all yer Fish Lake secret's,, [Wink] After all,, fluke or not it was over 17lb's.. Best I've watched pulled from a hole in the hard water at F-lake was a 13lb 3 years ago,, and whats worse is,, my buddies son had ahold of the ice stick but I was happy he managed it.. As Forest G would say,, "we fish alot" at fish lake during the hard water season.. This year (and last) has been touch (for us) for Mack over 22" snakes..

Pm me if you'd like to try and hook up at the G sometime that weekend..

CF
[signature]
I'd love to meet up with you. The only problem with that weekend is I pick up my kids on Friday around 7:00p.m. and have to have them back to mom on Saturday around 5:00p.m. so I can get packed up and head to S.L.C. for the week. I am in training at New Horizons from the 15th to the 19th. I always make the outdoors expo and plan to hit it Sunday morning until close. I wanted to get there for Saturday, but that isn't in the cards.

This weekend I might be able to squeek out enough dough to make a run to the Gorge in the car. The X just had the child support raised so I am now paying $1012 a month. That's going to take a while to adjust to. Oh well, it's only for another 13 years, then I can get all new toys.

Thanks for the invite. I wish I could.[unsure]
[signature]
Man,, that bites! And yes i know what its like to have dusty pockets! Maybe we can hook-up another time.. I figure if I'm going to buy a Wy side fishing permit I'm going to try and put it to good use..

Btw,, does anyone know whats the deal is on the sled and wheeler permits for Wy. side?? All I's gots is a old 3 wheeeeeler but its all I's gots right now and I dont want it hauled off,, nor do I want a ticket for doing sommin' stupid.... Only about a week to go now before heading up,, so,, where is the best place to get all needed (keep CF's rear out of the clink) permits?? Thanks

CF
[signature]
I have fished the Gorge every weekend for the last two months. I was doing pretty good (atleast for quantity) until the last two weeks. It really shutdown. I have landed one fish in the last two weeks. Any advice would be helpful as this is my first year fishing the Gorge frequently (thanks to my new job in Green River). I have heard of numerous fish over 25 lbs being caught this year by the locals but they were all caught in either the water or the mouth using a hook because that is about all the information you will ever get from most anyone around here. Like the big mack addict that I am I should be out tomorrow. Keep your radios on.
[signature]