Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steel head rod cases?
I build fly rod cases and had a request for a steel head rod case. My question is for those of you who use large rods and reels. Do you use rod cases to protect your rods and reels? ChickenLicken
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Longer rods are more exposed to hazards than shorter ones...especially when you take them on a plane. I know a lot of guys that make PVC tube cases for their long rods if they are travelers.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you fish in one area and do not have clumsy friends or family, a simple cloth cover will help protect your favorite stick. Some guys even take their rods to the water already rigged and ready for action.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Kind of an individual thing. But, if you have a nice case, there is more incentive to keep it properly stored and cared for.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]What kind of cases do you make?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I build a variety of cases but the most popular is the single 9ft 2 pc rod/reel case. I use ABS tubing since it is more forgiving the the cold weather and does not crack easily. My double version is becoming quite popular as well. It allows you to carry a couple of different fly rods with the reels attached.(saves time when you arrive at your location). I attached a couple photos, check them out.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You make some fine rod cases! My custom rods deserve the added expense and protection of a case. Am I going to case an Ugly Stik? Not on your life but my custom graphites are going to be protected. Again, nice rod covers. What are your prices for your various case designs?[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]LOOKIN' GOOD. You are a true craftsman. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]A lot of guys buy cheap rods and treat them poorly. They are obviously not your market. But, for the fisherfolk who invest in quality rods, those cases should be the logical extra step in taking care of them and honoring their workmanship.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am sure a lot of fly fishermen like the design that allows them to leave the reels attached. It only takes a minute to stick the reel on the rod when you get to the water, but who has an extra minute when there is fishing to be done? Also, it helps insure that you have the rod and reel properly matched. It's a bummer to find that you brought the wrong reel when you are two hours away from home...or two days.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Excellent looking cases. I'm actually in the market for a one piece 8 foot case to hold about three big ocean sticks with covers that is airline approved. Tall order.

Kayote
[signature]
The single cases are $25 each, the doubles are $40 and the new spinning cases are $35. I have just added a divided lining to the single and doubles for added protection. Thanks for your input. Chickenlicken.
[signature]
That is a tall order for a case that long. I had to take an ocean rod on the plane last year to Baja. It was such a pain because it was so long and didn't break down.
[signature]
Where are you located?
[signature]

[signature]
We have a manufacturing plant in Logan. We make a variety of bags and cases but the fly rod cases are my pet project. ChickenLicken
[signature]
I fish for the metalheads a couple of times per year in Oregon. A steelhead rod is just a fly rod albeit a 6-7 wt up to a 9 weight or so (with corresponding reel). the lengths are the same-typical 9 foot 2 piece or a multipiece travel rod. You might want to ask the requestor-alot of metalhead fisherman fish with a large arbor so the reel section of the case would need to be wider.
HCD
[signature]