Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Conditions/ Deterioration
Do people actually ice fish cutler? I know that it is fairly shallow. What do people catch ice fishing there?
[signature]
I believe it was March first last year, but when BLK finds out he can launch his boat, he will probably be after you. launching this year is looking like at least 2 weeks earlier this year, between the warm winter and high water, soft water is coming up fast.

BUT not fast enough[Wink]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
I think there are two of us that do fish it. Most of the time I don’t catch a thing, but once in awhile I’ve got a crappie or two. I fish it because it’s close and I can make short quick trips. It’s not fast or good by any standard, but once in a blue moon it will yield a fish. Jeff
[signature]
I know you’re right and if Lynn is feeling better this year I’ll bet it won’t take him long to be on the fish. Expect you’ll be looking for eyes soon yourself. Good luck and stay safe as you head out in that cold old puddle. Later Jeff
[signature]
Lynn will have some company for a while! My boat is ready to go, my tanks are full, batteries charged, all rods and reels serviced with new line. Bunches of White Bass, carp, chub and bullhead minnows. I'm ready to get'r done. Maybe I can help the South team a little before I move.
[signature]
I hope we keep getting reports so I can stay up on it.

Always good to stay on the ice, rather than falling through it.Wink (Sorry, I just can't help responding to the voices in my head.)

Dang, I didn't even notice I did that! Well, I guess my subconscious likes puns too.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hey, I've had my cat poles baited for a couple of weeks now. Ready to get the boat out and do a prep on it; got all the licenses, quagga cert., pfds all checked and re-primed as needed, stuff like that.

Not much fishable ice all winter at Lincoln this year. The channel froze up good but there never was much ice elsewhere. I saw a few guys fishing thin ice at the first spring a couple of times and a few at Mulberry but that's about it. Guess we could still get a cold spell with some ice but not likely. I usually figger first of Feb. is thawing time. Whatever, I'm ready.

Good winter so far, lots of snow up high but not much in the valley. I have only pushed snow with my wheeler a couple of times this year. It ain't over but it sure is looking good water wise.

Now Jeff, about that cat contest... the sooner you can drop the flag the better. A couple of weeks ago I bumped into that old soothsayer that haunts the Lincoln area and he told me this was the year I would finally find that 36 incher and he even gave me a couple of specifics spots where the fish could be found. I'm pumped.

Get this silly ice out of the way and let the cat chase begin.

Looking forward to a "record" year.

BLK
[signature]
March 1 falls on a Sunday this year. How 'bout we start on Saturday, Feb. 29? That way those who can only fish on Saturdays can get started right away, too? Just a thought. I'll probably be at Strawberry trying to finish out the Ice Challenge with a big cutt.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

DON'T TRUST THE ICE ON HOLMES CREEK RESERVOIR!!!!!

At least not until the coming cold snap. I messed up.

Conditions are changing so fast that I got ON the ice at 11 a.m. with no real issues, just a slushy edge. I fished on thick, but admittedly poor QUALITY ice (soft, chunky, waterlogged) until 2:30 p.m. It was at least 7" thick out in the open, and while easy to drill, you still had to drill it......

ON the ice I never felt any real concern, and had no problems or incidents, but............I almost couldn't get OFF the lake by that afternoon. In just 3 hours. EVERYWHERE along shore, the ice had gone so soft, I couldn't get within 20 yards of shore before you could feel it sinking or collapsing under you.

I tried to take out where I put in, and I didn't dare. Had to walk a couple hundred yards and explore three or four places where I FEEL like I almost went through.

Finally, had to make a Kamikaze run and just take the best option. I leant my upper body on my sled, and pushed in to shore like an Army crawl with my back legs. I was never in any real danger, but the potential was there. I DID go through to my waist the last few yards and got wet. Ice there was 5" of junk.

I'm lucky it wasn't worse. I glad I'm not older, frail, or overweight. Glad I took all my gear.

Thanks.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, I have been waiting with bait on my breath too, or however that goes. Looks like more snow and wind next week but by mid February we should be good to go.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Let me know when you are ready for a soft water session and I may just join you in the boat for some immoral support.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
With Lindon opening up and its been a while since you have been in the water, well maybe HOT water, figured you would be down to Lindon chasing something.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
Nothing like adding Olympic long jumping to your fishing day. Glad the legs carried you home safe. Sure been an odd January creating lots of oppurtunity for a dunk'n.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yea, verily. Lindon is usually about my first soft water trip each year. But that seldom happens before the end of February or first of March. Is the whole harbor wide open...or just a channel to the main lake?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]

[#0000FF]Since Utah Lake was not deeply iced in for a long session this year, I am thinking that the oxygen levels remained high enough to keep the fish happy. And if it is open...with some warming temps...the walleye should get into prespawn mode pretty soon.
[/#0000FF]

[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]

[#0000FF]With the higher water levels and early open water it might take some exploricatin' to find the fish. But I'll bet they are as ready as we are if we can find 'em.
[/#0000FF]

[signature]
http://www.lindonmarina.com/

the whole harbor, found this website while working hard at work. I think the lake only had ice on the whole thing for about 2 weeks maybe, I think the harbors might freeze up next week but is only supposed last for a few days,

I'm almost ready, hoping to test the boat on sunday

http://108.165.31.127/view/view.shtml?id...jpg&size=1

found saratoga camera also.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.