Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D DAY 2004
I was 'sick' today and decided to go and kill some fish. Instead of working i fished ont he Victory and we headed out to some of those outside spots in 220 - 240 feet of water to find WFO Redsnapper along with sand dabs. My first drop with a 5oz megabait live jig produced 1 3-5lbs red and the dropperloop above that produced a slightly smaller one. We went on to quick limits with 17 guys on the boat excluding the cook, deckhand and George that got in on the action. After seeing a salmon grouper carcas being pecked at by birds[mad], we came up on two private boaters on a spot with I don't know how many salmon grouper as they were pulling them up two at a time and keeping them all. They looked like they knew exactly what they were doing with heavy gear like TLD 20's on 6 foot heavy sticks. Then i see a ling get netted and kept so who knows what else they had. The one got out of there really quick as soon as we said something about the salmon grouper limit and the other went on to catching and keeping them. Next after we loaded up on those and a few hundred sand dabs, we moved into the shoe. My first drop with 3 sardines got instantly bit and i swung and wound up a 25 in halibut and as soon as it hits the deck i notice that its not even my hook in its mouth but the guys next to me who didn't have a clue what was going on. so it ended up with him, no big deal. Then it was a steady pick on whitefish, sculpin, 1 JP ling and some sheephead. Great day on the water as it was flat calm and only rained when we left for home

Final count (not exact): 17 anglers: 155 redsnapper, 7 Salmon grouper, 5 sculpin, 5 whitefish, 4 sheephead, 1 ling cod, 1 halibut, 300 sanddabs, and a few other assorted rock fish.

What i ended up with: 11 reds, 25 sanddabs, 2 sculpin, and a big barber pole.

[cool] Have fun

Aaron G
[signature]
Hey Aaron, sounds like a good day. I planned to get sick on this coming friday. I'm going to Catalina this Friday and Saturday. I hope I have as good of action as you had. Way to go buddy.
[signature]
Hey TN2,

Weather is supposed to be good. Sun for a change[cool]
[signature]
I saw the report. Even on the solar-lunar calendar it shows this friday as one of the top fishing days of the year. I'm ready to go.
[signature]
Now that's what I call a true fisherman! One that is "sick[Wink]" and still has the energy to fish[Wink][Wink]
[signature]
It was already mentioned to the Capt that there was a problem with my right eye. "What kind of eye problem do you have?" he asked

My simple answer was "Eye can't see going into work when eye can go fishing instead!!" [Tongue][cool]
[signature]
Or in my case school! I can't wait for my San Nicolas island SWRF trip in 2 weeks![cool]

Can you say LINGCOD?
[signature]

Hey there dh_tubinaaron,

Great report. You're pretty handy the this word business when you wanna be[laugh][laugh]. Excellent... just excellent.

I'll check in with my rockcod story on a seperate post! Good job fishin' too. Oh ya.... just thought to mention... I fish nothin' but circle hooks (excluding barries) so I know right away if I'm in a tangle and a fish is brought up if it is mine or not! I kept one guy from stealing my fish this way. He dropped the fish and walked away when I said in a loud voice 'Yep, It's mine therrrrrrrrrre's my circle hook' that jerk!!!!

Not many people are using circles (especially the large ones cause they cost big time 'almost a buck')

JapanRon
[signature]
Ya thats what caught my eye, my 5/0 owner super mutu ringed circle hook not in his mouth![mad]
[signature]