Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch at Hyrum - 2/4/20
Nice job once again Bob!

Looks like our next trip will be on Monday, 2/10. It should be bit warmer by then, LOL
[signature]
Well done Bob, with the temps we had around here I’m guessing the slush has frozen
[signature]
Great to hear it is still producing. Sounds like a tent would be a good investment.
[signature]
[quote 2knots]Well done Bob, with the temps we had around here I’m guessing the slush has frozen[/quote][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Nope. With all the new snow, we floated over it on the snowmobile, but as soon as a hole was drilled, it formed new slush. But not bad. The foot soldiers REALLY had to work to go anywhere on the ice. I didn't measure the depth, but it looked to be about 5/6 inches of new snow on top.[/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks, Dubob!

We had such a good day Saturday after so many failed attempts this year.

I was afraid the shift in weather and temps would change things and I'd have trouble finding them if I get another chance to fish this year.

Thanks for the encouraging report. Aside from the slush, of course.

Saturday we encountered no real slush, but the new snow blanket should change that real quick, I guess.
[signature]
Thanks for the post. Hoping to get out there again soon. What time did the fishing pick up for you guys?
[signature]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The bite went wild about Noon. Every drop had a hit within 15 to 20 seconds.[/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Good video on the perch activity....always fun to see what's going on down there....And Yes, a tent/shelter gives you a 100% better day out on the ice, IMO, especially on a very cold day like it was there yesterday..My Eskimo doesn't have the thermal liner, but with the sun out, like it was all A.M., it was plenty warm inside....No gloves or hand warmers needed, no holes freezing up, no fishing line freezing up constantly on your rod guides, you can actually put bait on your hooks, your bait isn't freezing, and your drinks and sandwiches aren't ice cold....On a nice 40+ degree day with no wind, I don't put my tent up, but sure glad I had one yesterday at Hyrum....Guluk...
[signature]
Headed to cascade the 24th, you going?
[signature]
"No gloves or hand warmers needed, no holes freezing up, no fishing line freezing up constantly on your rod guides, you can actually put bait on your hooks, your bait isn't freezing, and your drinks and sandwiches aren't ice cold"

Awesome list of shelter advantages. I enjoy fishing out in the open but this has convinced me that I need a shelter. Maybe next year.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Email sent
[/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
My wife felt sorry for me and actually got my first one for me about 15 years ago...it was heavy, very difficult to put up, but I fought with it for 5 or 6 years on the ice...I was younger then, and it was better than nothing...but I got tired of fighting it, and for the next 5 years didn't go as much, and mostly just on nicer days....then 4 years ago I heard of the good nite time crappie fishing at Pineview, and arrived one late afternoon about 5:00...I'd given up on my old shelter--I knew I wouldn't be able to take it apart in the dark--so no shelter....good fishing for crappie right away, I could still see, but my fingers were freezing with gloves off and trying to react to a bite, holes kept freezing,etc. etc.....I had to quit by 6:30, and right then knew I could have been fishing a lot longer, and had a nice limit of those tasty crappie, if only I had a decent, easy to set up shelter.....next time out there I had the "3 Man Red", like everyone else has, added a lantern, little propane heater......I was in nitetime Pineview fishing heaven, for the rest of that season....then, of course, next season, or 2 or 3, the nicer crappie disappeared, but I've been using it alot everywhere else when necessary......definitely more weight to pull in my ice sled, and not as mobile when set up, but everything else makes up for those liabilities....hope to see you out there....maybe I'll get my BFT flag attached....Guluk...
[signature]
Pack fan, hope to see you and Dubois there again. I’ll be there 2/19 - 3/3. Send PM if you will still be there then. True blue.
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Joe,[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Neither one of us is getting any younger OLD friend. [Smile]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Those long treks out into the marsh and out on to the ice are getting longer with each passing year. And our endurance isn't what it once was. So - I have two recommendations for you to make the ice fishing season more enjoyable.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]First, seriously, get a flip shelter. And get one that will allow you to set it up half open. These half open shelters allow you to have a nice sun/lite breeze block on those super nice days when you don't want to be 'in doors'. There are some really nice one man shelters out there with plenty of room to run 2 lines when fully set up.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Second, you need to build a 'Smitty' sled for your fishing sled. The difference in effort required to pull 2 snow skies through the snow vs your fishing sled is night and day difference. You can buy a set of used snow skies at DI for about $10. A few pieces of 2" X 8" and 2" X 4" lumber and some hardware and your done. Youtube has hundreds of videos on building one. They set up and take done in about a minute and transport very easy. Seriously Joe, you NEED to build a Smitty. This weekend would be great to do it. [/size][/font][/#800000][#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Todd would probably enjoy having one as well. [/size][/font][/#800000][Wink]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote trueblue2]Pack fan, hope to see you and Dubois there again. I’ll be there 2/19 - 3/3. Send PM if you will still be there then. True blue.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]That wold be dubob kind Sir. [cool] Unfortunately, I'll not be there this year. Good luck to you and Pete.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
And a Snow Dog or snowmobile would be great also!!...just don't think I'm sold on the smitty sled....maybe I'll try pulling yours (fully loaded) around out on the ice one time and compare it to my wide flat-bottom plastic...But up and down hills, rougher terrain, sharper turns (like West side Rockport, or Cemetery Pt. Pineview) I'm still thinking the flat bottom plastic is more maneuverable, but I could be wrong..........I just need a little Assist Motor on the back of it.!!........ On Tues. we did follow your track up toward the parking lot, then tied a long rope, truck to sleds, and had my truck do the hardest part....tks Bob, hope to see you out there somewhere soon....
[signature]
I've built my smity twice once out 1 inch pvc glued and riveted and going across Rockport crossing the 4 wheeler tracks and other snowmobile tracks it busted apart . So I build it out of 2x6 and 2x4 it seams to be much better,I haven't pulled it behind the snowmobile yet but it pulls by hand like there's nothing in it and I had it loaded pretty heavy.
[signature]
I've had to rebuild my smitty several times due to it's rough on things to pull behind a snowmobile, but I've gotten it fairly robust now, but it's not light and it can't be easily taken apart anymore, but it does the job wonderfully for long snowmobile treks and is a blast to be able to fish lakes in the Uintas in the spring and trek deep out onto strawberry or to the top of Porcupine or any long distance runs that we might think up... I'm thinking of making a steel version that is really buffed, but so far the wood is still working... The only time I'd use a regular sled anymore is for short easy trips that are usually pretty light weight loads... Once the snow starts piling up the smitty is king... Later Jeff
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Joe, you're going to have to trust me on this. A Smitty will ALWAYS hand pull easier than a sled. I don't need the advantage pulling with my snowmobile, but the Smitty raises the sled up and out of the stream of snow/slush being thrown back from the track. Would not be needed behind a snowdog, but is very useful behind a snowmobile or quad.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Some guys even add a set of 4 wheels to the Smitty skies that extend maybe an inch or less below the skies for hauling across bare parking lots. The wheels do NOT add any noticeable drag in the snow.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If you're STILL a none believer, come borrow mine for a day when we aren't out fishing on the same day and try them.
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Just might take you up on that offer....I'd definitely want to try one before building....tks...
[signature]